Smart Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart Card

I was wondering if anyone out there is having trouble getting their smart card to work. Mine was issued by the pct where my home address is but as a locum, I have had to test it in a pharmacy during their eps setting-up in a different pct only to find it does not work. I was told by our staff that during the issuing of smartcards pct can tick or untick a box for pharmacists to work as locums everywhere but my effort to find out about the status of mine has amount to nothing. One phone call after another tells me there is noone at the pct willing to help and the 'someone' who can has not rung back for many days. Am I alone? Any advice before the time comes when scanning barcode trully makes an incredibly big difference in speeding up the dispensing process? (I doubt it unless they bring in a prescriptions iron to flatten them 1st) Are pct's usually so selfish and territorial that they cannot see past the need for locums to relief pharmacists needing time off? Or am I just asking questions never occured to them in the first place because pushing pencils already take up too much effort?

Re: Smart Card

Originally posted by ozvic View Post
    I was wondering if anyone out there is having trouble getting their smart card to work. Mine was issued by the pct where my home address is but as a locum, I have had to test it in a pharmacy during their eps setting-up in a different pct only to find it does not work. I was told by our staff that during the issuing of smartcards pct can tick or untick a box for pharmacists to work as locums everywhere but my effort to find out about the status of mine has amount to nothing. One phone call after another tells me there is noone at the pct willing to help and the 'someone' who can has not rung back for many days. Am I alone? Any advice before the time comes when scanning barcode trully makes an incredibly big difference in speeding up the dispensing process? (I doubt it unless they bring in a prescriptions iron to flatten them 1st) Are pct's usually so selfish and territorial that they cannot see past the need for locums to relief pharmacists needing time off? Or am I just asking questions never occured to them in the first place because pushing pencils already take up too much effort?
    Mine got locked out the first time I tried to use it.
    Have been told that I need to present myself in person at the PCT HQ (again) to get it sorted out.

The other week was shown EPS in action...
    In the live demo I had on the AAH-Link system it was far quicker to dispense from paper.
    Can't see this being a boost for productivity.
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Smart cards only appear to work in the PCT that issued it.
      So if you are a locum you need to start getting more PCTs added to your card!

We discovered this from one of our out of town locums.

We use phase 1 and once you are used to it it takes no longer to dispense.

For phase 2 I'm not sure how I am supposed to check 500 items a day with no scripts! We will either need another 3 computers (as we have separate benches for walk-ins, deliveries and MDS) so I check from the screens or have to print them all out (then shred them after).

Comment

Originally posted by Web Ferret View Post
        Smart cards only appear to work in the PCT that issued it.
        Not so, my Bradford South and West Smart Card seems to work in, Leeds, Calderdale, and Harrogate.

Jeff

Comment

Interesting.
          I wonder if this has anything to do with how your card was set up? Is there a different criterion for managers to locums?

Comment

Interesting.
            I wonder if this has anything to do with how your card was set up? Is there a different criterion for managers to locums?
            Was a manager at the time - but employers have the right to rescind you card. Apparently they haven't cancelled mine.

Jeff

Comment

Confusion and inconsistencies prevails....my card registers my local pct plus Boots The Chemist although I did register myself as a locum in the first instance ie these two options pop up when I stick it into the smart card reader of another Multiple in a different pct...sigh.....My colleague here has his presenting the correct pct by the smartcard reader.....Is this meant to make our lives easier? It's just like having different train companies in different parts of the country is it not? Seems to me it's just a ploy to create more complex work for pct staff to justify their pay rise.

Comment

I think its that the PCTs don't know what they are doing - At my local PCT there was only ONE person who knew how to register the cards!
                Not sure what the situation is now.

We need to hear from more locums on here about where their card works and where it doesn't!

Comment

I think its that the PCTs don't know what they are doing - At my local PCT there was only ONE person who knew how to register the cards!
                  Not sure what the situation is now.

We need to hear from more locums on here about where their card works and where it doesn't!
                  It doesn't I'm locked out.
                  Have to go back to the PCT and get it sorted out...
                  How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

For phase 2 I'm not sure how I am supposed to check 500 items a day with no scripts! We will either need another 3 computers (as we have separate benches for walk-ins, deliveries and MDS) so I check from the screens or have to print them all out (then shred them after).
                    Hadn't thought about that! What are we supposed to check off against, I don't fancy having to bring up Rx on computer each time for a check!

Comment

A pharmacist I work with had a chat with a top bod from Cegedim and he doesn't reckon that ETP will roll out the way they say because after phase2 the next satge will be immediate payment for pharmacists and HMG can't afford that.

Don't know how true this is but obviously Cegedim have two of the ETP recognised systems on the market so you think they'd have some knowledge of the situation.
                      Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
                      pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
                      eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Originally posted by Linnear View Post
                        A pharmacist I work with had a chat with a top bod from Cegedim and he doesn't reckon that ETP will roll out the way they say because after phase2 the next satge will be immediate payment for pharmacists and HMG can't afford that.

Don't know how true this is but obviously Cegedim have two of the ETP recognised systems on the market so you think they'd have some knowledge of the situation.
                        Can't see this being a major problem for HMG beyond the first three months. It would also mean that they can close off the fiscal year two months earlier. But I'm no expert on these matters.
                        How times change.

Comment

Just found a report that for 2006 net ingred cost for all Rxs was £8 179 M.

A quarter of that is £ 2000 M.

Quite a bit extra to cough up even/especially for HMG.

Again as I said I'm not sure how true this comment was but that figure alone makes it seem quite possible. IMO anyway.
                          Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

pharmacistance.co.uk

eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Originally posted by Linnear View Post
                            Just found a report that for 2006 net ingred cost for all Rxs was £8 179 M.

A quarter of that is £ 2000 M.

Quite a bit extra to cough up even/especially for HMG.

Again as I said I'm not sure how true this comment was but that figure alone makes it seem quite possible. IMO anyway.
                            The D**** M*** would say that the drugs bill is increasing because pharmacists are dispensing too many prescriptions.
                            How times change.

Comment

The D***** M*** would probably say that the bill is increasing because we're dispensing too many Rxs to illegal immigrants that take our jobs!
                              Linnear MRPharmS

pharmacistance.co.uk

eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Working...
                              X