Exam+fees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exam+fees

I received my bumf today for sitting the pre-reg exam, and noticed i'll have the pleasure of paying the rpsgb at least £180 for sitting the exam (its multi choice... how do they end up with such a big fee)[£360 for if you get your form in late!]
    ALSO, seeing as i'm paying for the privelidge, why have they sent me to bradford whihc is miles further from me than liverpool. I'm applying to get it moved, but still feel disgruntled. Especially as they've stated outright that they will enter no correspondence email/phone or otherwise on what the possibility is of getting your venue changed.

What are the fees like post pre-reg just out of interest?

***I was so incensed, i even posted in the wrong forum. Sorry to all you locums
    Last edited by alex; 11, April 2007, 09:18 PM. Reason: it needed doing

Re: Exam+fees

Originally posted by alex View Post
    I received my bumf today for sitting the pre-reg exam, and noticed i'll have the pleasure of paying the rpsgb at least £180 for sitting the exam (its multi choice... how do they end up with such a big fee)[£360 for if you get your form in late!]

***I was so incensed, i even posted in the wrong forum. Sorry to all you locums
    Welcome to the wonderful world of rip off pharmacy! It was about £30 when I did the exams, but they must now see it as another money spinner, as marking a couple of exam papers can't cost anywhere near that much.

By the way (I believe it is still the same) if you join the register in say September, you will have to pay the full price for a whole year of membership. They will then charge you the same amount due on the 1st Jan the next year!

Great hey - just when you need your cash the most!

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
      Welcome to the wonderful world of rip off pharmacy! It was about £30 when I did the exams, but they must now see it as another money spinner, as marking a couple of exam papers can't cost anywhere near that much.

By the way (I believe it is still the same) if you join the register in say September, you will have to pay the full price for a whole year of membership. They will then charge you the same amount due on the 1st Jan the next year!

Great hey - just when you need your cash the most!

They charge a pro-rata fee when you register for the first time. I registered in July and had to pay around £150, from memory.

Comment

Yeah, it's a rip-off. It was about the same for me a couple of years ago. By my reckoning the total costs should be (per person):

All correspondance re: exam: £2.
        All paper work re: exam: £2.
        Hiring of exam hall: £5.
        Hiring of admin staff to oversee exam: £1. (working on 5 admin staff for 5 hours work at £7 per hour overseeing approx 200 people).
        Cost of marking paper: £1. (computer marked as it s MCQ).
        Society admin staff costs printing/sending correspondance: £5.
        Let's add on an extra £50.

So, at my rather generous estimating that's £66. Obviously a hefty profit there.

Yep, I agree....the first year fees are pro-rata so you won't have to pay the whole lot.

Comment

I received my bumf today for sitting the pre-reg exam, and noticed i'll have the pleasure of paying the rpsgb at least £180
          A days pay

for sitting the exam (its multi choice... how do they end up with such a big fee)[£360 for if you get your form in late!]
          Two days pay

Not worth the worry.

Jeff

Comment

When I took the Ph.C in 1956 seem to remember the fee was £20. A weeks wage in those days.
            johnep

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
              A days pay

Two days pay

Not worth the worry.

Jeff
              You obviously get paid more than me.

Other than that its the principal that they rip you off just because they can and they know you have no other option

Comment

A days pay.... once you are registered.

I know it's annoying to have to pay out, but just think of it as an investment. I've been registered less than a year, and get paid £45k p.a. + accomodation + car, which I think is a pretty decent return. Don't think there are too many 24 year olds in the same position.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve G View Post
                  A days pay.... once you are registered.

I know it's annoying to have to pay out, but just think of it as an investment. I've been registered less than a year, and get paid £45k p.a. + accomodation + car, which I think is a pretty decent return. Don't think there are too many 24 year olds in the same position.
                  YES!!!!
                  At last, another Happy Pharmacist!!!!
                  That's two of us...
                  Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve G View Post
                    They charge a pro-rata fee when you register for the first time. I registered in July and had to pay around £150, from memory.
                    I didn't pay pro rata, I had to pay the full whack, I'm sure of it. Has that changed, or is all my guitar playing messing with my mind.......
                    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Other than that its the principal that they rip you off just because they can and they know you have no other option
                      Agreed!

Just sent off cheque for ~£150 with pre-reg notification form. What do they use that money for?

Comment

hey
                        yeah i just sent off my cheque £189
                        i now have just about £50 in my bank account

why could they not at least leave until the end of the month when most people get paid

i have to go and ask my parents to lend me some cash now

Comment

Originally posted by hannahd View Post
                          Just sent off cheque for ~£150 with pre-reg notification form. What do they use that money for?
                          In 2007 £611,853 went on Council members expenses.

Jeff

Comment

ive also sent of the £189 and also got my reply back today, but i wonder how I will afford to pay the £395 registration fee plus the lawyer costs this first time, money's been really tight this year and im still going into and out of my student overdraft (ive still got it), id be really stuck if the bank found out I was in full time employment and no longer technically a student.

btw how much are the lawyer costs ive not really looked into that, and what other hidden costs are there except for the registration fee? if people could please help!!!
                            We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

When you first register you don't pay the full yearly fee, you pay a bit under half of it. Not sure what lawyers fees you have to pay though - I didn't have to pay any and it's not something my pre-reg has mentioned.

Re student accounts - most banks reduce your interest free overdraft gradually after you graduate. I graduated in 2005 and somehow still have a £1500 interest free overdraft available to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X