Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Locum work as a newly qualified pharmacist..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locum work as a newly qualified pharmacist..

I'm a pre-reg currently considering the options for when I (hopefully) qualify in the summer, just hoping for a bit of advice! Im in hospital at the mo and am planning to stay in this sector long term, but the idea of community locum work appeals to me for a year or so because of flexibility and ££s! I've looked at locum agencies online who say they consider newly qualified pharmacists, but Im just wondering if this is realistic? I have very little community experience (but I like a challenge!)...do you think many agencies would be interested? Also wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the availability of locum work in the London area (especially East London)
    Cheers, Faye x

I used to locum in Wapping and Bethnal green in the sixties. Saturdays mostly as large number of Jewish pharmacists wanting Saturdays off. Would suspect that Friday now occupies that position.
    johnep

Comment

Originally posted by faye View Post
      I'm a pre-reg currently considering the options for when I (hopefully) qualify in the summer, just hoping for a bit of advice! Im in hospital at the mo and am planning to stay in this sector long term, but the idea of community locum work appeals to me for a year or so because of flexibility and ££s! I've looked at locum agencies online who say they consider newly qualified pharmacists, but Im just wondering if this is realistic? I have very little community experience (but I like a challenge!)...do you think many agencies would be interested? Also wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the availability of locum work in the London area (especially East London)
      Cheers, Faye x
      I do think you could get locum work, but retail is a lot different to hospital. I think you'd need some experience to work alone in a shop - don't forget you don't have all those pharmacist colleagues with you like in the hospital.
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

I did the same thing. I went from being hospital pre reg straight to community locum. I made the most of my four week cross sector placement which was very helpful and used the help of my friends in community pharmacy. If you have friends in community, shadow them for one or two days to get the hang of it. It's not that difficult at all.

Comment

Biggest difference between hospital and community is OTC sales -'what can I have for this tickly cough that has gone to my chest?'

Oh, and strictly speaking you can't substitute anything - if a Dr wants lodine, you have to give lodine, not the generic (although this can be bent depending on the situation).

One last point: while you're still in hospitals, can you please ask Drs to put patients address on Rxs. I swear the next hospital Rx I get without a patient address is going to get sent back to the hospital.

Comment

Agencies will take you on no problems (as long as you're registered with the RPSGB they don't care)

With some agencies you will be able to negotiate working in a pharmacy with 2 pharmacists until you're comfortable. It depends what they've got on offer. There's pros and cons with this strategy (can ask for advice on ethical/legal borderline dilemmas), but can be tricky working with someone very stuck in their ways.

You don't need too much community experience to work in community. Know the law. Don't be pressurised. Always err on the side of caution if you're unsure.

Comment

Working...
            X