No announcement yet.

Locum Rates 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just in case you haven't spotted this posting about efficiencies in pharmacy....

What isn't realised with efficiencies in pharmacy is that you are not allowed to keep the gains forever.
    You will have a gap between the time you implement the efficiency measures (on your own expense) to the time when the cost of service enquiry catches up and adjusts the global sum.
    What happens then is that those who haven't implemented the measures get pushed to do more for less and follow the lead or find other measures. The key players adjust and go on to the next round of efficiency measures to fuel the ever increasing need for efficiencies and so it fuels itself.

There are a few things that we rushed to do just to be competitive.
    OK there are patient care benefits but these were not the driver to introduce them.
    MDS provision.
    Collection and delivery services.

47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
      Just in case you haven't spotted this posting about efficiencies in pharmacy....

What isn't realised with efficiencies in pharmacy is that you are not allowed to keep the gains forever.
      You will have a gap between the time you implement the efficiency measures (on your own expense) to the time when the cost of service enquiry catches up and adjusts the global sum.
      What happens then is that those who haven't implemented the measures get pushed to do more for less and follow the lead or find other measures. The key players adjust and go on to the next round of efficiency measures to fuel the ever increasing need for efficiencies and so it fuels itself.

There are a few things that we rushed to do just to be competitive.
      OK there are patient care benefits but these were not the driver to introduce them.
      MDS provision.
      Collection and delivery services.
      Indeed. Although I would put efficiencies in parentheses because they are unsustainable long-term unless the system is overflowing with cash. It's why I also distinguish community pharmacy from retail pharmacy -- the principle of the former is patient-need whilst the latter is business-led. Treating a patient like a customer sees the patient treat care facility as a service/business outfit -- a vicious cycle. Retail Pharmacy conjures up the image of the snake eating it's tail.

Every Patient should expect the same base-level of care at any Pharmacy (at least within a given area). Hopefully, ICSs/ICBs will rectify this.
      PotionRx
      Loyal Member
      Last edited by PotionRx; 23, November 2021, 11:35 AM.

Comment

So I was reading this...

https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk...ke-law-changes

And this jumped out at me...

The regulator will expect businesses implementing hub-and-spoke dispensing “to be ready to explain” how they intend to “use system changes to actively promote professionalism” and “uphold the ability of pharmacy technicians to live up to their professional obligations”, Mr Rudkin said.

I get the GPhC's drift here -- a sound and cheeky call to be fair. Though I suspect the "businesses" don't quite have Professionalism as the driver of the call for wanting the plenary oversight of Pharmacists relieved of such responsibility in the first place.

The Pharmacist would be focused on making them more money through loudly touted "clinical services" while routine face time with their patients about their meds (their core expertise) is diverted to a 'technician' --- and eventually to an automated collection assistant). If I was an MBA I'd be beaming with a smile. Thankfully, the powers that be are in no playing mood!

By the way, did I mention techs are being axed because of high wages?

​​​​​​
        PotionRx
        Loyal Member
        Last edited by PotionRx; 24, November 2021, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Retail Pharmacy in action...

https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk...iday-criticism

Discount ‘not possible to sustain’: Boots hits back after EHC Black Friday criticism

The fact that supposed healthcare outfits are engaged in medicines sales promotions and purchase inducements is completely lost on the 'Profession'. So much so, it's not even an embarrassment to anyone.

But then, there are those who think the sector was headed in the right direction and was in good hands....

https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk...n-in-22-stores

Apparently...

‘The sector may rue Boots’s decision to cease pharmacy provision in 22 stores’

​​​​​​BOOTS being primarily a retail outlet is a 'surprisingly' new development.

Comment

It probably makes most pharmacists cringe when they are counting pennies but pounds are given away, but it seems anything is fair game in that critical 'black friday' sales barometer period.
            How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

If the Shoe converts pharmacies into drug stores, possible these will still take in scripts and have them dispensed in a script factory. .
              johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                If the Shoe converts pharmacies into drug stores, possible these will still take in scripts and have them dispensed in a script factory. .
                johnep
                It could heat up the nomination wars as well for EPS.
                Or create an opportunity to lose some of the more challenging prescriptions...
                How times change.

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                  johnep
                  The brazenness wouldn't be unexpected...but they would have no contractual or legal grounds to handle prescriptions or POMS in the now non-Pharmacy 'retail outlets'. Have they in fact relinquished the contracts? I would expect the respective ICSs/ICBs to assess local needs and reassign those contracts if required. This should be the community/patient-focused formula going forward.

Also, diversity in contractor base with deference to committed Pharmacists-led single contractorships would return the sector to its senses (if proper vetting and due diligence is done).

​​​

Comment

By the way, the usual suspects are still running with the narrative that there's a shortage of Pharmacists!

Among some of the sophomoric claims is that the usual suspects have "more experience on the matter" and "why would anyone oppose just training more Pharmacists?"

It is all sophistry, my friends. Don't be fooled -- dont engage those kinds of rhetorical sleights of hand. And remember, they have monopolised all conversations on Pharmacy for several decades -- unchecked. The very architects of the wanton state of affairs are attempting to wash their hands off the mess. Don't let them.

Otherwise, the many shoddy pharmacies and sweatshops will persist. You have a moral and professional duty to put those Pharmacies out of business. Demanding very high rates to undertake any shifts in those understaffed, filthy and dangerous traps (whilst your betters sit in air- conditioned/well-formed offices) is fair. You are NOT profiteering -- you are refusing to sell yourself and the Profession cheap. If you can get by without the money, then avoid them altogether -- and no, you're not abandoning your patients, you are refusing to needlessly endanger them! Demand better.

There are fundamental structural issues underpinning the steady decay of the sector. Primarily, the erosion of Professionalism and the dilution of the Profession to the tastes of contractors -- the extent of which is that Pharmacists are now spineless box-ticking impediments whose presence is somehow still required by law in order for the contractor to do as they please. See if you can decipher the obvious solution here.
                    PotionRx
                    Loyal Member
                    Last edited by PotionRx; 2, December 2021, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X