Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you get shifts in independents and small chains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnep
    replied
    Yes, when I was young and most chemists were independent. Locums often got friendly with the family and married either the daughter or son. This was the case with two of the pharmacies where I regularly locumed.
    johnep

Leave a comment:

• Modus_Operandi
    replied
    depending on your geographical location, it might be worth looking at agencies as areas with a lot of pharmacies tend to favour nepotism
    Last edited by Modus_Operandi; 9th, May 2019, 02:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jzd4rma
    replied
    Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post

Take into consideration the level of stress that you will get against the £23 versus £35 especially if you walk in to face a disorganised understaffed mess.

Don't step over the threshold unless you are in the PDA or similar organisation.
    I think these days independents face the same issue as multiples in terms of work load and stress level. Part of the reason is that all the old school pharmacist have sold up and current owners of independent pharmacy have financial obligation and this takes precedent over working in a safe and calm environment.

Leave a comment:

• Pharmanaut
    replied
    Originally posted by jzd4rma View Post

Like everyone said a business card and personal introduction is the best approach. However from my own experience independents are fairly limited in the number of bookings they offer and you will find that they have their regular locum. Under this situation they probably will only contact you if they can't cover any shift last minute. But from a business point of view are you prepared to accept £23 per hour booking when you can get £35 per hour for a last minute booking with a multiple?

Another thing to take into consideration is that the independent market is shrinking so you can do everything under the sun for the owner but chances are most are looking to sell up and your loyalty will be for nothing. It's not like the old days heck its not even like the begining of 2011 when I qualified its a brutal world out there.
    Take into consideration the level of stress that you will get against the £23 versus £35 especially if you walk in to face a disorganised understaffed mess.

Don't step over the threshold unless you are in the PDA or similar organisation.

Leave a comment:

• jzd4rma
    replied
    Originally posted by Evelyn87 View Post
    As above..
    Like everyone said a business card and personal introduction is the best approach. However from my own experience independents are fairly limited in the number of bookings they offer and you will find that they have their regular locum. Under this situation they probably will only contact you if they can't cover any shift last minute. But from a business point of view are you prepared to accept £23 per hour booking when you can get £35 per hour for a last minute booking with a multiple?

Another thing to take into consideration is that the independent market is shrinking so you can do everything under the sun for the owner but chances are most are looking to sell up and your loyalty will be for nothing. It's not like the old days heck its not even like the begining of 2011 when I qualified its a brutal world out there.

Leave a comment:

• Web Ferret
    replied
    I remember Lionels ads too!

Go into the pharmacy ask how they book locums then contact whoever you are directed to. If you are hardworking and reliable you will get bookings. When I have locumed in the past the majority of my work was for independants and small chains. They were far better to work for than the multiples.

Leave a comment:

• Pharmanaut
    replied
    Originally posted by johnep View Post
    Direct contact is best. Call into the pharmacies and make yourself known. Before the multiples with 5 day weeks, locums were rarely asked for except for holidays. All my locums in those days were for Saturdays or weeks at a time. When the multiples took over, their staff wanted 5 day weeks, normal working hours and holidays. it was very difficult to make a living as a locum. I remember Lionel Stein who advertised every week in the PJ. Until I retired from industry all my locums were with Independents except Saturday mornings for the Co op and Sunday rotas for Lloyds.
    I did Saturdays and holidays for one independent for over 30 years.
    johnep
    Lionel Stein, A man for all seasons. - I remember his weekly adverts from about 1980.
    I think he passed away in 2009.

Not sure if a PJ advert would be successful in the digital age.

The advice to get a business card out to independents and the smaller chains would be a good plan.
    If you are ultra-reliable and have a 'get in there and get the job done' and have good 'people attitude' you will be a magnet for bookings.

Leave a comment:

• johnep
    replied
    Direct contact is best. Call into the pharmacies and make yourself known. Before the multiples with 5 day weeks, locums were rarely asked for except for holidays. All my locums in those days were for Saturdays or weeks at a time. When the multiples took over, their staff wanted 5 day weeks, normal working hours and holidays. it was very difficult to make a living as a locum. I remember Lionel Stein who advertised every week in the PJ. Until I retired from industry all my locums were with Independents except Saturday mornings for the Co op and Sunday rotas for Lloyds.
    I did Saturdays and holidays for one independent for over 30 years.
    johnep

Leave a comment:

• Evelyn87
    started a topic How do you get shifts in independents and small chains?

How do you get shifts in independents and small chains?

As above..
Working...
X