Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you paid promptly by agencies?

My wife is a locum pharmacist.

She stopped being self-employed last year and became PAYE with an agency whose contract says that they will pay her each week. Payments are regularly late and despite complaints the position is not improving. She is currently owed for 3 weeks and is being given what I consider to be lame excuses.

I guess it is inappropriate to name the agency (but I'm very tempted!).

How common is this? What should she do? Is this agency solvent?

A good use of the forum (assuming that the administrator doesn't wish the forum to be involved in individual contractual disputes) might be to praise the good agencies. So who do you recommend?

PS My wife has found all her own work from recommendations and through colleagues and the agency has collected a fat fee for a number of years for doing relatively little.

Most pharmaceutical companies are pretty good with payment. the slowest always used to be Boots but I think they've picked up now.

Never worked as an employee of an agency so can't answer for that.

Hope your wife sorts it out.

All the best
    Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
    pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
    eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Originally posted by locums husband
      My wife is a locum pharmacist.

She stopped being self-employed last year and became PAYE with an agency whose contract says that they will pay her each week. Payments are regularly late and despite complaints the position is not improving. She is currently owed for 3 weeks and is being given what I consider to be lame excuses.

I guess it is inappropriate to name the agency (but I'm very tempted!).

How common is this? What should she do? Is this agency solvent?

A good use of the forum (assuming that the administrator doesn't wish the forum to be involved in individual contractual disputes) might be to praise the good agencies. So who do you recommend?

PS My wife has found all her own work from recommendations and through colleagues and the agency has collected a fat fee for a number of years for doing relatively little.
      Hi and thanks for joining.

I don't understand why your wife has this arrangement in place. You are usually much better off financially being self employed. Last year I earned 37k and paid about 4k in tax, and I work a 3 or 4 day week. Why did she change? She will have lost all her tax breaks by going to PAYE, so her salary must be very good to have made it worth her while to change.

I do get most of my work through an agency, but I know their charges are not much per day for placing a pharmacist. The companies I work for pay me direct, and usually very promptly. I am usually paid every week, and thats for the week two weeks previous. If I ever have any problems with companies (which is rare) the agency are on my side, and have always been ok. I also get a discount from a very good accountant for being with the agency.

If you want any more details then just contact me.

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Why go through an agency?

Well some NHS Trusts will only work through agencies and I understand if you locum for only one employer for a long period you can't claim to be self employed.

Wife is now voting with her feet and changing agency. The new one seems more efficient and professional. The money came through - some payments 8 weeks late!

Comment

Originally posted by locums husband
          Why go through an agency?

Well some NHS Trusts will only work through agencies and I understand if you locum for only one employer for a long period you can't claim to be self employed.

Wife is now voting with her feet and changing agency. The new one seems more efficient and professional. The money came through - some payments 8 weeks late!
          Hi

I'm not saying don't go through an agency. I do use one all the time. What I do is just get work given to me from the agency. I do my days work, and the agency sends the company a seperate bill. I am still self employed though, and that gives me all the tax breaks.
          Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
          Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
          Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Working...
          X