X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locuming

Hi everyone,

I hope is allowed if not admin please take post down

Are there any agencies you would recomend for some random locuming, for example days off and weekends?
    Any apps to find shifts?

Thank you all

Originally posted by sissy View Post
    Hi everyone,

I hope is allowed if not admin please take post down

Are there any agencies you would recomend for some random locuming, for example days off and weekends?
    Any apps to find shifts?

Thank you all
    It’s ok to ask as it’s obviously a genuine question. Personally I always arranged my own locums when I was self employed in retail. Try to get known around your area for being reliable, friendly and hard working.
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Me too.
      Get on the phone to the smaller chains in your area.
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I confess to never using an agency. First day I started regular locums after retiring from industry, was to visit all the local pharmacies. At lunch time I was asked if I could work that very afternoon. 60 years ago, I just placed an ad in the PJ and was deluged with requests.
        I always turned up early and often was first to arrive. I did deliveries in my own time and tried not to leave the next pharmacist with non dispensed or non checked scripts. On locum voice, I did write a long post on how to be a locum.
        When booking a locum ensure you know where to park and always have a staff home phone number you can call in case of emergency. Once held up on the M1 and another time collapsed with vertigo on way out of the house.
        You will soon gain a reputation for reliability. Ensure methadone scripts dispensed early. New addicts were given a contract to sign to make sure they turned up an hour after opening and an hour before closing. Otherwise they will be waiting on the door step and coming in just as you are trying to close. Happened to me at first methadone pharmacy, and, of course they came in a group.
        johnep

Comment

The only advice I would give is make enquires to find out how busy the store is and the level of support offered to the pharmacist. Obviously, I can't tell you not to take the work but make sure you only take work that won't put you in trouble because in the world of pharmacy the only person who has your back is yourself. It's depressing thought but that's the reality of it.

Comment

Several times both the pharmacist and dispenser were away together (usually because married). Naturally, I did not know this until arrived for locum. Often only staff member had only just started. Once or twice that very day. So a hunt for the CD cupd and unable to use strange PMR until could phone another branch. Worse instance was an assistant who would ask everyone if they would like to wait, even when I had 10 or more multi item scripts to do. When finally able to ask why, she said had been told to do so. ( even though usual pharmacist away, one dispenser on holiday and the other ill!) When I had a chance to look up at the clock it was 3.46pm. No stop for lunch of course. The next day I closed the door for half hour at lunch time. It was the Christmas period and we were very busy. I never accepted a locum there again.
            johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
              Several times both the pharmacist and dispenser were away together (usually because married). Naturally, I did not know this until arrived for locum. Often only staff member had only just started. Once or twice that very day. So a hunt for the CD cupd and unable to use strange PMR until could phone another branch. Worse instance was an assistant who would ask everyone if they would like to wait, even when I had 10 or more multi item scripts to do. When finally able to ask why, she said had been told to do so. ( even though usual pharmacist away, one dispenser on holiday and the other ill!) When I had a chance to look up at the clock it was 3.46pm. No stop for lunch of course. The next day I closed the door for half hour at lunch time. It was the Christmas period and we were very busy. I never accepted a locum there again.
              johnep
              Why didn’t you just the tell the girl not to do that for that day? Ask the punters to come back later and make your day easier.

Comment

The reason why all asked if they wanted to wait was to try to stop them going to the next pharmacy a few yards away. In those days I just knuckled down and did what had to be done. Silly I know but many pharmacists just tried to cope even when odds stacked against them. This was before RP regs and I was very much the under dog.
                johnep

Comment

Working...
                X