Locumming and Fulltime job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locumming and Fulltime job

Hi, I'm new to this forum so was wondering if anyone could advise me.
    I'm working fulltime as a clinical pharmacist in hospital but I want to start doing community pharmacy locumming on the weekends.

Does anyone know what I should do for paying tax? Is a self assessment better if I am only locumming here and there on weekends?
    Also, would I be able to claim tax reliefs for expenses like Insurance and travel?

Thanks

Yes you can get mileage and your indemnity with PDA if you don't already have it for your 'day' job.
    If you are already with PDA you might have to top up your cover with them - make sure you enquire rather than assume.
    You might need to get accredited for flu vacc and MUR/NMS at the minimum.

For your tax : your income will be below the value for itemised declarations.
    Note : this is not a route to tax reduction or avoidance HMRC will have you under the microscope.
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

When in industry, I worked one evening a week and also did Sunday rotas and Saturdays every other week.
      I used Sage Instant accounts for the paperwork and was able to claim mileage fees etc. Most years I did not cover my expenses and this was deducted from tax on paye. One year I visited an export customer in Trinidad and the cost paid the tax due on my company car.
      It was during the transition from imperial to metric, decimalisation, and introduction of computers so when I was made redundant from industry, the following week I started a nice 6 week locum, before starting full time in retail. The hours made it impossible to do any locums, but when I returned to industry as a med rep a year later, I took up locums again.
      johnep
      Last edited by johnep; 22nd, February 2019, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much for the advice. I have spoken to an accountant who has advised that self assessment route is ideal at the moment considering I am a junior pharmacist in hospital and will be doing community locumming on random weekends here and there. Anyone have advice on how to record business miles for when I do locumming so I can claim them back as tax expense? Thank you

Comment

Simple, get used to recording daily mileage in your diary or note book. Your speedo should have three settings. Total mileage and two trip. I used one to check petrol mileage and the other on daily basis. Locum mileage recorded on round trip from home.
          johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
            Simple, get used to recording daily mileage in your diary or note book. Your speedo should have three settings. Total mileage and two trip. I used one to check petrol mileage and the other on daily basis. Locum mileage recorded on round trip from home.
            johnep
            Most organisations will put your postcode in and the branch postcode and use that as mileage.
            If you have to detour due to diversions or take a longer but quicker way it is tough luck.

Probably best to get an accountant to set you up and do your initial tax return, then you can take over.
            Bear in mind that their fee can be written against tax.
            47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
            2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
            How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Google maps is your friend. It'll give you distance and route.

Comment

Working...
              X