Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to locumming

Hi all

I wanted a bit of help. I have decided to work as a locum for now but I'm a bit confused by it all. I know I have to set up my company, get a business account, join the agencies and ensure I have all the relevant and necessary accreditations but I'm a bit unsure about the documentation and payment side of things. I have spoken to an accountant who has informed me that I must ensure I keep a spreadsheet. Do I record the following:

Where I worked and hours worked, rate, if mileage was paid, any extra payments e.g ££ per MUR, when the payment was received

Also, I have read that I must leave/email an invoice at each place that I worked- Where do I obtain this from? Do I need to have one with me each time I go to a branch? Does the branch give me a document to fill out? I vaguely remember with Lloyds, locums having to use their system and upload their payment information before the shift ends but I am not clear.

I have also read on another thread that I need to have a contract or use the standard NPA contract. Would I need this even if I have booked via an agency? I'm at loss as to why I would need this as my understanding was after I am booked (my bank details will be part of the booking process), I do my shift and then I just need to keep a lookout for each payment right?

Of course I am aware that it is my responsibility to ensure I receive the payments, I guess I'm just a bit apprehensive about anything I may have missed. My fear is that I book a shift do the work but then don't get paid I really don't want the hassle of chasing payment to be honest.

I would appreciate any advice/ tips on getting started and if I have missed anything or If I have got it wrong, please feel free to reply

I'm looking forward to your responses

use the search box to search the forum.
    johnep

Comment

You are asking the right questions.
      Mostly keep your own records of income and expenses, and also outgoings and expenses paid out.
      You can do this without having a limited company though.

Best to have a 'one off' with an accountant to go through the processes needed.
      You can also put this on your books as a business expense.

Take care that you work for different people - HMRC are looking for people who they think should be employees.

I'm assuming you are in the PDA?
      Most of us would not set foot in a pharmacy and sign the RP register without being a member.

Also keep your own records of dates and hours worked where.
      Some companies will try not to pay you and some have a very bad reputation and some always forget to post the cheque.

47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Simply print out a label and stick in your diary.this will prove you at the pharmacy on the day in question. I used to put my self in the PMR.
        johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
          Simply print out a label and stick in your diary.this will prove you at the pharmacy on the day in question. I used to put my self in the PMR.
          johnep
          Putting yourself in the PMR is a good one!
          Though most PMR require you to be logged in as RP and agree to have read and signed every SOP.
          47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
          2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Working...
          X