Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• share your experiences

Hi guys!

I've been locuming for a while but always for the same 2 pharmacies, now I am willing to expand and getting out of the comfort zone. Would like some advice about which companies to avoid or be carefull with, which ones pay better and worse and if you could share some experiences you've been through during your duties as a locum that would be very much appreciated.
    Thank you
    Cheers!

Difficult to name specific organisations on the forum due previous threats of litigation.
    Plus - one venue that might be one persons joy to be there might be the one from hell to another.
    Most of the time the internet is full of daft opinions and views that you should not take seriously let bother you at all.
    Note : If this posting contains personal views or opinions every endeavour is made to ensure they stay within social media guidelines.
    If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

• sissy
      sissy commented
      Editing a comment
      True. Didnt think about it. Thanks!

Why not ask local pharmacists? Word gets around very fast.

Comment

• sissy
      sissy commented
      Editing a comment
      I dont know the pharmacists of the area I want to get in, and unfortunately I found that some people dont give you the right info or really dont wanna say anything at all. That's why the profession is falling so much over the years, because everybody is looking at its own belly. There's no unity among professionals.

• mcitr
      mcitr commented
      Editing a comment
      A shame. I've worked with a lot of locums and they are asking about so and so, what this or that place is like, not continuously but little snippets of information. In the multiple I work in there is very considerable variation between clientele, number of items, hours opened, mds or not, methodone or not, other services or not, background of staff. Whether it's run on locums, whether there is a manager and a 2nd salaried pharmacist. Whether the manager is a pharmacist!

I regularly attended branch meetings.
    johnep

Comment

Last edited by kl06229; 7th, April 2018, 01:51 PM.

Comment

From past experience, I avoid Boots like the plague. However, you probably know this already through word of mouth. Fortunately, my circumstances mean I can afford to avoid this particular multiple.

As general advice, if you're locuming for an unfamiliar pharmacy, consider avoiding weekends and mondays. On weekends, regular staff are more likely to be unavailable to help with problems that arise and monday is when the pharmacy has just re-opened and staff are scrambling to get ready again.

If the proprietor is a nasty person, then I consider taking my services as a locum elsewhere. In my area, a particular pharmacist and owner made it explicitly clear to locums that they were replaceable and tried to pay them as low as possible. From what I've heard, she can't find locums anymore and her only two regular staff are approaching retirement.

Comment

• sissy
          sissy commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the advice. Boots really has a bad fame...

Originally posted by johnep View Post
        I regularly attended branch meetings.
        johnep
        One of the many daft things that were done when the professional body was re-organised a few years ago was scrap the Branches.

As well as do it in a crass, insensitive way.

Comment

And take any funds! When I took over as treasurer, secretary and chairman. (No one bothered to attend the AGM) I discovered only £50 in the bank. Most of the money had gone on mailings.
          I arranged with the wholesalers to distribute advice re meetings etc. I made sure local hospitals and any industry had posters on their notice boards. I also got reps to fund the meetings (food and location) and give a presentation. Most interesting to me were those on dressings on which I was ignorant. The AGM was incorporated into branch meetings and the committee met in a pub/restaurant with a meal. I also gave out certificates of attendance for CPD.. Attendance soared and funds swelled to some £3,000.
          We were a flourishing branch with pharmacists from retail, hospital and industry. Then the axe fell and that was the end.
          johnep

Comment

The key to expanding your role is to network. This may seem daunting, but it is not that difficult after a while. CPPE events, RPS etc ... don't just go to these events to learn something, but go to them to meet and communicate with others. There are proprietors there who will more than likely give you a try.

Also, it is these proprietors who are more likely to be forward thinking. They are taking time out of their own time to progress clinically ... and from experience, it is those that don't take this time out that are the ones that you probably want to avoid.

So you have an automatic filter, an opportunity to meet new people who are reasonably forward thinking and an opportunity to learn something new. Can't get better than that!

Comment

• sissy
              sissy commented
              Editing a comment
              Is a very small community, not much going arround but will keep an extra eye out

I agree completely. you have to speculate to accumulate.
            johnep

Comment

Working...
            X