Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quality of Dispensing Assistants

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Quality of Dispensing Assistants

    Although I prefer the informal atmosphere of working in independants, I must say that I have spent 2 days working in a large busy B###s and the staff only made one trivial dispensing error (ensure plus instead of with fibre).

    That is unlike my experience in independents, where I usually expect to spot five or six a day, many of which are "heritage" repeat labelling errors, meaning that no-one spotted them last month, and maybe longer ago than that.

    I think a lot of it is due to the personal relationship that is built up in independents, which I find lacking in most multiples nowadays. In independents people are more likely to "carry" their friends in spite of their known incompetance, perhaps. It does seem like most of those five or six mistakes emanate from one member of the team, wherever I am.

    Comments?
    ....just my opinion

  • #2
    Re: Quality of Dispensing Assistants

    Originally posted by DavidS View Post
    I think a lot of it is due to the personal relationship that is built up in independents, which I find lacking in most multiples nowadays. In independents people are more likely to "carry" their friends in spite of their known incompetance, perhaps. It does seem like most of those five or six mistakes emanate from one member of the team, wherever I am.

    Comments?
    Yes. By accepting peoples weaknesses we are able to retain their strengths.
    A "known incompetence" is one that it is fairly easy to work around.

    Jeff

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Quality of Dispensing Assistants

      Originally posted by Jeff View Post
      Yes. By accepting peoples weaknesses we are able to retain their strengths.
      A "known incompetence" is one that it is fairly easy to work around.

      Jeff
      Mmm. Nice in theory, dangerous in practice, surely. But you are right. And in the worst cases I don't take bookings on the days when the most dangerous assistants are working. Although that doesn't stop them filling boxes with out of date cuttings of the wrong strengths, etc.
      ....just my opinion

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Quality of Dispensing Assistants

        Yes but at the end of the day we are qualified and they are shop staff who more than likely left school at 16 with 4 GCSEs

        I think we expect too much of them, to be honest.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Quality of Dispensing Assistants

          I totally agree, which brings me to wonder about the "remote supervision" issue. Personally, I would have serious problems with allowing some of the dispensing staff I have come across over the years free rein to run the dispensary in my proposed absence. I often feel uncomfortable if I leave the pharmacy for two minutes, let alone two hours.
          Don't Stop Believing

          http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Quality of Dispensing Assistants

            As a dispenser myself I am very conscientious about my job and try hard not make dispensing errors. This week I managed to make only three, one of those was because I was feeling unwell (migraine) and was labelling as well as dispensing. Our pharmacist made one. I have no other excuses for the other two, which incidentally would not have been fatal errors.
            This does not make me feel any better about the errors I made.
            We have implimented an error list for all staff, and the pharmacist., so that we can reduce the errors we make and find out where the main errors are been made (wrong strength, quantity etc etc)
            This having been in practice for a week now has helped me to be far more more vigilant of what I am doing. Working for an independant for the past 11 years and been qualified (only to the minimum) for the past three I have seen many changes in the way we dispense and on top of that the increased work load is not reflected in the pay.
            I only got 3 "O" Levels and one of them was not maths (I got an uncalssified for that) but is has not dwindled my capacity for learning.
            I am not defending dispensers or moaning about pay but in this economic climate it is hard to concentrate on what should be most important, not making mistakes.
            Make some one smile today.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Quality of Dispensing Assistants

              Well I suppose this sort of justifies my point... Four dispensing errors a week are four too many..Your first mistake could well be your last in this game. I would be unhappy to be held responsible for any errors made in my absence, recession or not. I would, however, accept responsibility for any errors had I been present in the dispensary when they were made. Regarding pay, this issue is purely between yourself and your employer.

              Purely my opinion.

              Fleeg.
              Don't Stop Believing

              http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Quality of Dispensing Assistants

                Did the errors get past the "final check" and actually get handed to a patient?
                47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                How times change.

                If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Quality of Dispensing Assistants

                  Originally posted by jaymags View Post
                  As a dispenser myself
                  Look, Jaymags. I'm not knocking dispensing assistants here - where would we be without you. I've often wondered how on earth you cope with the jobs that you do on the pay that youu get. It must be the status!

                  What this is about is the responsibility. Some of your colleagues do not feel any sense of responsibility for their own self-improvement, or for the errors they make.

                  The same is also true of some pharmacists, but the difference is that I will not be held responsible for the mistakes of another pharmacist (in theory, although actually it has been tried, but that's another story), yet I am held responsible for the mistakes of technicians and other staff. I have had staff give stuff out without it being checked, not relay to the patient what I have asked to be relayed, and interactions that the computer has flagged up suppressed without being told.

                  Soon, it is proposed, and as Fleegle says, I will be held responsible for mistakes that happen when I am not even in the pharmacy. This is just not acceptable. And yet, despite my mentioning it on this forum once before, there has been no suggestion in high places that either there be a concurrent move to create the post of The Responsible Technician with their own insurance, etc., who would take responsibility when the RP is absent, or even that the pharmacist's criminal liability for dispensing (etc) errors made and given out when the RP is absent be modified.

                  I'm afraid that I think the best solution for us locums may be to give up our self-employed status, but I'd like other's views on that. Perhaps in another part of this forum. Infact, I'll sort that now.

                  Until the responsible technician becomes a reality, the Conscientious Technician is very much valued and respected.
                  ....just my opinion

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Quality of Dispensing Assistants

                    Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
                    Did the errors get past the "final check" and actually get handed to a patient?
                    Most certainly not. One of them I picked up myself before it got to the pharmacist.
                    Make some one smile today.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Quality of Dispensing Assistants

                      Originally posted by Fleegle View Post
                      Well I suppose this sort of justifies my point... Four dispensing errors a week are four too many..Your first mistake could well be your last in this game. I would be unhappy to be held responsible for any errors made in my absence, recession or not. I would, however, accept responsibility for any errors had I been present in the dispensary when they were made. Regarding pay, this issue is purely between yourself and your employer.

                      Purely my opinion.

                      Fleeg.
                      Please read my statement again Fleegle and I think you will find you made an error.
                      One thing last week taught me was to read and re-read the whole of what is in front of me. Hopefully I will be able to report nil errors next week.
                      At least I am woman enough to admit that I have made errors.
                      Make some one smile today.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Quality of Dispensing Assistants

                        Originally posted by jaymags View Post
                        This week I managed to make only three, one of those was because I was feeling unwell (migraine) and was labelling as well as dispensing. Our pharmacist made one. I have no other excuses for the other two
                        Hey jaymags..Is this what I must re-read? You say you made three errors...the pharmacist made one, making four. I'm sorry, but that's the way I still read it. Regarding "the other two", however, assume they are your other two. Did the pharmacist make an identical mistake to yours which you are counting as one?

                        Please don't consider me pedantic, I would just like to clear this up, man to woman.

                        Fleeg.
                        Don't Stop Believing

                        http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Quality of Dispensing Assistants

                          I do feel that many dispensers are often paid an absolute pittance for their responsibilities.
                          However, is it only me, or do other pharmacists beat their head against a brick wall in trying to get staff to see the series of actions needed. For example promising to deliver something before receiving the prescription and then not even ordeing the stock. Another common one is owing the same thing to a person twice in a row, and not increasing the stock level.
                          Dispensers can be a blessing, but some can cause stress levels to escalate!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Quality of Dispensing Assistants

                            I work on Saturdays and recurring problems are:

                            Illegal CD scripts held in the dispensary for several days.
                            Promises made that items will definitely be here Saturday without checking with wholesaler.

                            These cause terrible aggro on a Saturday morning.
                            johnep

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Quality of Dispensing Assistants

                              Originally posted by johnep View Post
                              I work on Saturdays and recurring problems are:

                              Illegal CD scripts held in the dispensary for several days.
                              Promises made that items will definitely be here Saturday without checking with wholesaler.

                              These cause terrible aggro on a Saturday morning.
                              johnep
                              John, there are plenty of other Saturday jobs around, surely. I suggest you follow your employer's ex-customers and work there instead.....
                              ....just my opinion

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X