Advice on fee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on fee

I'm probably making too much of this but just wondered what people think.

I've been doing part-time locums for about six years since I sold my own pharmacy - I was hoping to be able to retire but couldn't quite afford it on what I made from the sale. Most of my work is for a small independent pharmacy - it's lovely to work in, staff are great, patients generally reasonable, no targets on stupid free services that nobody wants or needs! I don't even do MURs as there isn't a consultation room.

When I first started working there we agreed a rate of £25 an hour - I suggested this based on what I paid locums and the proprietor agreed as it was the same as he was paying his other regular. There's never any delay with payment - everything runs very smoothly. However, I haven't increased my rate in six years and wonder whether it's time I did. I've resisted so far because I know independent proprietors are really feeling the pinch but my cost of living has gone up in six years (and the pharmacy window cleaner has just given himself an 8% pay rise!). I don't think there would be any argument if I did increase but just feel a bit uncomfortable doing it.

Any thoughts?

I'm working at independents as locum - odd days, sometimes a full week. The going rate here is £21 to £24 per hour. Agree to ask for rise is difficult given the current situation, but as you say our costs have increased! Often think maybe I should re-train as a plumber!!

Comment

Thanks - forgot to mention that I'm in an area where locums are thin on the ground and the only time anyone else is asked to work here it's because I'm not available (and an agency will be involved).

Comment

I used to get £25/hr ten years ago. Would not be likely to obtain that these days. All depends on supply and demand.
        Johnep

Comment

Fairly sure I'd get it - just not sure it's appropriate to ask for it!

Comment

The test of a good locum is - what state of play does the proprietor or regular manager come back to.
            If everything is well organised and there's a handover call or checklist then you are worth it.
            Plus - if customers come in asking for you - it always helps!
            47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
            2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
            How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Yes that is a real accolade. At one locum a woman said "Thank goodness you are here today" and then went on to tell me about some problem I had resolved and forgotten.
              johnep

Comment

There isn't really a correct answer. So there are a few broad themes.

Loss aversion. The owner will on some level be loss averse to leaving you, even if rationally he doesn't think you'll leave.

Offending the other party. As long as you aren't assertive or aggressive, are clear and polite you shouldn't offend anyone. It will come across that you don't want to 'win at all costs' and want to do future business with him. It's usually 'accomodator' and 'analyst' negotiating types that worry about offending!

Non-monetary rewards. Are there any non-monetary things that either party wants?

Other information? Does the owner have a medium or long term plan, like selling up in a couple of years and just doesn't want the hassle? Are they doing an IP course or wanting to spend more time with their family? Are they near retirement themselves and don't want the hassle? Is the owner a very young pharmacist and enjoy your experience.

Comment

You ask for more, he says no. What will you do? Happily carry on, or feel hard done by? Locums are thin on the ground and you could get more. Have you tested the waters? What would have made you pay your Locums more? Once you answer these questions, you have your answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Northerner View Post
                    I'm probably making too much of this but just wondered what people think.

I've been doing part-time locums for about six years since I sold my own pharmacy - I was hoping to be able to retire but couldn't quite afford it on what I made from the sale. Most of my work is for a small independent pharmacy - it's lovely to work in, staff are great, patients generally reasonable, no targets on stupid free services that nobody wants or needs! I don't even do MURs as there isn't a consultation room.

When I first started working there we agreed a rate of £25 an hour - I suggested this based on what I paid locums and the proprietor agreed as it was the same as he was paying his other regular. There's never any delay with payment - everything runs very smoothly. However, I haven't increased my rate in six years and wonder whether it's time I did. I've resisted so far because I know independent proprietors are really feeling the pinch but my cost of living has gone up in six years (and the pharmacy window cleaner has just given himself an 8% pay rise!). I don't think there would be any argument if I did increase but just feel a bit uncomfortable doing it.

Any thoughts?
                    Rejoice in what you've got. I too am an ex-proprietor (retired completely just over a year ago) and as far as the extra services go I was doing the Full Fantasia for £20/hr.

Frankly, I don't think you're going to get a better overall package.

Comment

Get this text from Well Scotland quite regularly Click image for larger version

Name:	F3824704-9A62-4BC1-A8D5-0FF744FF2820.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	235224

Comment

Working...
                      X