Dealing with difficult staff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing with difficult staff

Working in a private pharmacy recently and the main guy who is the driver/prescription handler is related to boss. So I've always been careful to be professional but deal with them nicely. However this guy has no sense of professionalism and just swears at me/flips into rage suddenly because I cannot remember a patients name from the morning.

Its really dampened my feelings about working here now and thinking least if I was in a retail store everyone would have to be professional and not give the pharmacist such crap.

Any advice from anyone working at independents?

No matter where you work you can run into situations that aren't acceptable. Report his behaviour to the boss and make it clear you won't tolerate being sworn at. Your boss has to provide you with a safe workplace and that includes protecting you from aggression. If he won't do that because of his relationship with the offender then you have no choice but to leave. If you put up with it the situation will get worse not better.

Comment

Just reply that in most situations swearing at people does not engage their willing cooperation.
      Report it to the boss that constructive criticism is welcome you don't like being sworn at aggressively.

You should also be in the PDA (other organisations may be available too)
      Most of the time the internet is full of daft opinions and views that you should not take seriously let bother you at all.
      Note : If this posting contains personal views or opinions every endeavour is made to ensure they stay within social media guidelines.
      If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Are other staff present when he behaves like this?

Comment

Just record him in full blast.
          johnep

Comment

ANY workplace can produce this type of behaviour sadly. You don't say what you did or said in response. And I am also wondering if other staff have also had problems?

I have two different experiences of workplace problems....I once worked with someone who had a very crude sense of humour....which didn't bother me. But another female member of staff reported him. Sometimes acceptable standards of behaviour vary .

But I was the person who finally took action against a bullying manager...and told HIS manager I wanted to take formal action. I didn't because an informal process was started and the bully left before he could be pushed and in a much quicker time than if a formal disciplinary process had been started.

Any employer NEEDS to know if an employee is not behaving appropriately even if that employee is a relative (especially if that employee is a relative!) But evidence would be useful otherwise it is your word against his.

An informal approach is often the best option....either direct to the driver or to the owner if that has no effect. Just choose your words with care. HOW you say something is as important as what you want to say. ....a lesson the driver clearly needs to learn!!!

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
              Just record him in full blast.
              johnep
              A useful reminder that anything said could be recorded using a mobile phone app.
              Let us all keep this in mind.
              Most of the time the internet is full of daft opinions and views that you should not take seriously let bother you at all.
              Note : If this posting contains personal views or opinions every endeavour is made to ensure they stay within social media guidelines.
              If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

You are supposed to be the boss! This man undermines staff AND patient confidence in you. This cannot be good for business! Even if you have blundered, he should have a word with the Proprietor Pharmacist and spell out your unsuitability, not chew you off, his boss for the day.
                Have a word with the owner and highlight the above. Let the driver have his say and if they want you to continue, he must offer you an unreserved apology. If not, lesson learnt and move on to someone else.
                Good luck.

Comment

In this pharmacy it's only me and him or sometimes another dispenser. His work ethic is similar he just has temper issues and if he can't micromanage others he starts moaning and losing his temper.

You're not going to believe at why I got the rough end...there was a prescription which he told me in morning to endorse. I forgot about it and started dispensing it again. When he came and saw stock had been picked out he flipped at why I forgot the patient. I was gobsmacked to say the least.

Because it's his brothers business he thinks he's boss. I don't even know what to say to him. Once when I mentioned it the boss said to me you have to learn to manage him.

Then on on other side I think if I leave I'll go back to being unemployed again. I've had solid work at this place now for 3 months

Comment

Yeh I'm thinking to say it directly to him when I work next. I need work and at same time not let this happen again. I know too well if I let this slide it'll only happen again as I bullied for no reason in my Prereg

Comment

a similar situation happened to a colleague of mine.
                      He immediately contacted the PDA his insurance provider.
                      they wrote a letter to the superintendent and informed them about how many different ways they had violated his rights, acted unprofessionally, and told them of the locums rights.
                      they were never rude to him again.
                      sometimes it just takes one official letter to change peoples behaviour

Comment

Working...
                      X