X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long...

do BTC normally take to pay locums?

I did a days work for them 26th November and still haven't heard anything

It was my first days work after qualifying and I haven't done anything else since so I could really use the cash!

Re: How long...

My record was three months as you are dependent on efficiency of office manager.
    1) Will need to fill in claim form.
    2) They will usually need all your bank and personal details unless previously agreed to give you a cheque.
    3)Branches have to submit payment requests and salaries on 5th of month, may or may not have been submitted 5th December. Check with branch office.
    4) Office may have forgotten to send in claim.
    5) Ask office for name number of office in Notts or Feltham who ever responsible for paying locums.
    6) Tell the agency and if they are kind they should chase for you, they get their fee at time of payment to you.
    7) Sometimes possible to have cheque issued at branch if large enough and someone has signing authority.

Good luck, I had to keep chasing and was sent from pillow to post. However, never had a problem in Milton Keynes where staff were efficient.
    johnep

Comment

Thanks for that - on the day I was told to write my details (but bizarrely not bank details - I asked specifically about that) on a sheet of paper but there was no 'form' as such.
      I phoned the agency who gave me the number of a co-ordinator who told me to email her my details but again did not ant bank details, just name, address, reg no., agency name, shop and hours claimed for
      Will try phoning again on monday I guess

Comment

Join the PDA and send them the details.
        http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

In all my business experience the first time something is done, that is when all goes wrong. In this case I think you should allow some reasonable leeway, but if there does appear to be some intransigence then by all means contact the PDA. Some companies had a rude awakening when the PDA served a winding up order on them for non payment.
          johnep

Comment

Book a locum and turn up 6 weeks late?
            47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
            2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
            How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I contacted the Boots co-ordinator who emailed me back saying that I was not on the system and now she wants my bank details, NI number etc..

Apparently she is new in the role and the previous co-ordinator left her a mess - which I think might be quite likely because the email address she is using is someone elses name. I will give it some time and see what happens now she has all the details.

I am already a member of the PDA - one of the first things I did when I qualified - but I don't want to bother them with it if its something I can sort out myself. Will probably contact them if I have not been paid by this time next week

Comment

Bog standard reply when a pen pusher has not done anything. I have done this many times in past and always give details whenever working in new BTC pharmacy. A piece of paper is what is required to remind them to do something.
                johnep

Comment

Been following this thread with interest... quick question...

Are BTC deducting tax on locum payments on a PAYE basis?...(not sure why they need your NI number).

If so, this could open a can of worms re holiday entitlement, sick pay, employers NI contribution etc, if a locum works in BTC branches frequently in any fiscal year.

Fleeg.
                  Last edited by Fleegle; 15, December 2008, 07:43 PM.
                  Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

I'm not sure about that - I just gave them the details they asked for, didn't really think about why they wanted them
                    I haven't actually registered as self-employed yet tho because I will still be within the time limit when my permanent job starts so I figured I can do the self assessment after I have stopped locumming and I will have all the figures - at the moment I don't know if I will do any more self-employed work so it might be difficult to work out the tax.
                    If BTC do PAYE then I guess it makes me an 'employee' so I won't need to do a self-assessment...or do I? The whole tax question confuses me horribly

Comment

If you're only doing a few locums as a "stop-gap" until you recommence PAYE employment, then your self-employed tax liability will be minimal. Cross that bridge when you come to it.

If you are paying PAYE as a locum, then no self-assessment would be required.

We need a post from a man of johneps standing re locumming for BTC to give the difinitive answer!

Best of luck in your new position by the way!

Fleeg.
                      Don't Stop Believing

Comment

NI nbr needed to prove not an illegal immigrant.
                        BTC do not need to deduct tax etc. However, they have to report to tax authorities every year on people working for them and how much paid. You probably would come under 'casual labour', say. an oddjob man called in one day. In the 50s, I was still at uni but working saturday locums and did not do anything about tax.

Then got a letter from IR threatening all sorts of things and so I paid the back tax promptly and organised things properly from then on. On your Tax form is a section 'any other earnings'. Just put total earnt there from locums and this will be added to your gross from PAYE. Tax will be minimal and you will hardly notice it.

Probable you have not had a tax form yet, but you will get one next year to fill in. Tedious but reasonably straightforward.

You can probably download specimen from IRC site.
                        johnep

Comment

Thanks John...

Great post.

Fleeg.
                          Don't Stop Believing

Comment

What is wrong with BTC, 2 other companies have paid me no major problems. I'm still waiting for payment of 3 dates going furthest back being 11th october!
                            I cant work that often as I'm doing a PhD but rely on this money to live. How quick are the PDA in sorting out these issues, I am a member

Comment

Frankly, as a career-locum, I do not deal with multiples for exactly the reasons posted here. My only advice is..do a bit of advertising around independents in your area. They generally pay on the day, unless you choose to invoice otherwise, and are generally really nice guys.

They appreciate you as much as you appreciate them, and as long as you make sure you do your job properly, you will probably also have made a lifelong friend. Don't think going legal with BTC is advisable if you're only owed three days though.
                              Don't Stop Believing

Comment

Working...
                              X