• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Priorities and delegation

OK, this is the scenario.

You are the pharmacist manager.
    You are busy checking a few trays.
    The shop gets busy with customers all bringing in new scripts.
    You have a shop assistant, and two dispensors.
    One dispensor gets tied up on the phone.
    A patient comes in and wants OTC on the Pharmacy First scheme.
    The shop assistant doesnt know how to do the pharmacy first forms.
    YOu go into the shop and find out what the problem is and recommend an OTC product, but one of the items needs labelling up.

So as the pharmacist manager what do you now do?
    ECDR.UK

Re: Priorities and delegation

Each thing in turn... first come.

Exceptions are boxes (unless customer is waiting to collect) and call-backs when the customer has stated they will be a loooong time - at least an hour.

The flip side of "available without appointment" means if you turn up just behind 3 other poeple, you may have to wait.....

I probably wouldn't have gone out to deal with the Pharmacy First (not that I know what that is.... ?) customer until the scripts were done, especially if I knew it involved paperwork rather than a recommendation I could then leave the sale to the girl for.
    Employed again... paid holidays! Yipee

Comment

Pharmacy First sounds like the Minor Ailment Scheme that we have. You go to the pharmacy first for a chesty cough rather than getting the doctors surgeries tied up with trivial/minor ailments. The patients have to fill a form in then give ana approved medication for the symptoms. Not all conditions are covered but the pharmacist has to check the form so if you are busy it can be time consuming but I agree with you Def each thing in turn.
      Raf it sounds like you had a busy day.
      Make some one smile today.

Comment

I work in very busy pharmacy 27,000+ per month. We have a system where we put customers who want to see pharmacist in the Rx queue. We use baskets and have little laminated cards that say Pharmacist consultation required. We also use this system for any Methadone Rx's, they always expect to be supervised asap but if busy they just go in queue like everyone else. Seems to work ok as long as customer is told there may be a delay.

Comment

This sounds like an excellent idea. I have a laminator and will make up couple of sets, one for addicts, other for pts. I will use Avery label software.
          johnep

Comment

Where I did my pre-reg we had a similar system with laminated cards for "lady/gentleman to see pharmacist" and "EHC" and the methadones had cards with their names on and everything just got queued up together. Seemed to work pretty well, the dispensers would take the bits they could do (i.e normal scripts) and the other stuff just went into a basket on the checking bench when we got to it so everything got done in order... I hope to implement a similar system in my new pharmacy if they don't have one already because then I will be boss, muhahaha! *reminds self not to become crazed with power*

Comment

Taking it as given that you are out in the shop with the pharmacy first patient.
              Explain to the patient that under the conditions attached to the pharmacy first scheme the item will have to be labled and will go into the queue with the NHS scripts. - however they do have the right to save time and just buy the item.
              If the patient is happy with the pharmacy first delay - then go through the form filling with the member of staff so as to avoid future delays.
              You do this in full visibility of everyone else who is waiting, Mainly so that they know why they are waiting.
              Return to dispensary and disconnect the phone until queue cleared - phone back irate customer who was cut off and apologise for the flaky phone line.

Then arrange and promote a collection service for scripts. It reduces the times that "The shop gets busy with customers all bringing in new scripts."

Jeff

Comment

As regards to methadone addicts our policy is to get them out of the shop as soon as possible (I don't mean that to sound harshly), we have never had any complaints from customers yet. It is done very discretely, having two computers running the same programme helps, the dispensers can get on with labelling whilst the pharmacist measures out the methadone.
                Make some one smile today.

Comment

That’s sounds harsh rafhelp….

Hope it was ok in the end. I’d say you were still lucky to have two dispensers and a shop assistant…what would you do differently if you were on your own?

Try this one:

You have 6 customers waiting and you are on your own.

GP has prescribed an unlicensed drug for a 2 year old child (mum is waiting).

An elderly patient has difficulty using the blisters and wants all his meds re-dispensed in bottles (he’s waiting too).

You have a long script to dispense/ check – a regular customer who likes to chat.

The warfarin clinic has called you because one of the patients INR has come back high and wants you to amend the dose.

A waiting customer is allergic to sucrose, she has been supplied Oramorph…is it ok?

One lady wants to buy HC45.

Young girl wants to buy senna tabs – you remember her buying them from you 3 days ago…?

Most important part….you close in 30 minutes……
                  Lazy Lady...
                  [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

Lazy, i'd say you'd be extremely unlucky!! They would just have to wait in turn and if they didn't like it tough!!

It's a highly unlikely situation!

Comment

Take it easy Jon

Its only practice for fellow forum members…..

It’s an important skill to have
                      Lazy Lady...
                      [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

'The warfarin clinic has called you because one of the patients INR has come back high and wants you to amend the dose.'

do you mind to explain how would you go on modifying the dose? which reference do you follow? or is it different from 1 hospital to another?
                        [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                        [/COLOR]

Comment

Hey Raoul

Patients started on warfarin will be given a supply of 1mg, 3mg and 5mg tablets to make dose adjustments easier. Depending on the indication, patients will have an INR target……so if the anticoagulant clinic gets a high or low INR….adjustments should be made.

Some hospitals have an anticoagulant pharmacist….they can easily make the adjustments.

Know your counselling for warfarin...
                          Lazy Lady...

Comment

thanks lazy. i am aware of that but i am looking more into how to relate changes in INR to dose adjustment.
                            a real life scenario would be appreciated.
                            i.e assuming someone with an INR of 4-5, and we need to target 1.5-1, he was on 5mg warfarin, how would you adjust the dose?
                            Cheers lazy
                            [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                            [/COLOR]

Comment

There is software available to control the whole clinic. Dawn is a leading brand. CPPE holding series of anticoagulation meetings next year, I am going to one in Cambs.
                              johnep

Comment

Working...
                              X