First day tomorrow! Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First day tomorrow! Help!

I qualified earlier this month and joined a locum agency to tide me over until my permanent job starts and I'm doing my first days work as a pharmacist for Boots tomorrow *reminds self to calm down and breath*

On the one hand it is quite exciting but on the other I am quietly terrified!
    I would appreciate any advice you could give me
    - what I should find out first (I realise its a little late since I already agreed to it, but in my defence they caught me by surprise - was actually walking home from the Jobcentre!),
    what I should take with me,
    general things to be aware of,
    first day stories (altho no horror stories please!)

Thanks in advance,
    Andrea

Re: First day tomorrow! Help!

Originally posted by happy_bunny View Post
    I qualified earlier this month and joined a locum agency to tide me over until my permanent job starts and I'm doing my first days work as a pharmacist for Boots tomorrow *reminds self to calm down and breath*

On the one hand it is quite exciting but on the other I am quietly terrified!
    I would appreciate any advice you could give me
    - what I should find out first (I realise its a little late since I already agreed to it, but in my defence they caught me by surprise - was actually walking home from the Jobcentre!),
    what I should take with me,
    general things to be aware of,
    first day stories (altho no horror stories please!)

Thanks in advance,
    Andrea
    Don't be rushed, work methodically.
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I didn't realise that pharmacists used the job centre, I have been under the illusion that there are plenty of vacancies for pharmacists all over the place. I find this a bit disappointing, but perhaps it is because we are not adequately networked in this country, almost all the work I did back home, I got because I heard from friends or colleges that there was an opening.

Best advice I can give you is not to let people take advantage of you. They see a new inexperienced face and see how far they can push you. Listen to the dispensers and how they usually do things but make decisions yourself.
      Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
      (T. Pratchett)

Comment

[QUOTE=paul2008;20782] I didn't realise that pharmacists used the job centre, [QUOTE]

I got a job quite quickly, it just doesn't start til January, so I thought I would claim Jobseekers allowance until then because otherwise I have no income at all and I didn't know how likely I would be to get any locum work given that I am newly qualified and have only used one computer system.
        I put it off for a while but today was the day I finally decided to go and get something sorted, then the agency called me on my way back so I had to call the jobcentre back and they told me to cancel my benefit claim and re-apply after the booking when I will be unemployed again... its all v complicated.

For now I'm just gonna concentrate on the simple bits like getting some clothes ironed and making sure my certificate is in my bag - the rest will just have to sort itself out

Thanks for the advice tho, I'm feeling better already

Comment

BTC always have experienced staff and there will be a dispensary manager in the larger branches with two or more pharmacists. At the least there should be a dispensary team leader.
          1) PMR was smartscript, understand going to nexphase.
          2) You will probably do just checking at first.
          3) You will get a lunch hour.
          4) Check the CD scripts, then recheck. Patches should really have a dose, often don't.
          5) Go with the flow, if unsigned scripts are dispensed and the sent back to the sgy, up to you. I dispense unless CD.
          6) Usually other staff put away the order and count the scripts.
          7) Check what PGDs are in place. Unless you are accredited with local PCT you will be unable to do, ie EHC, smoking cessation.
          8) You will be astonished at the sheer volume of PCS. They are often running a day or so late.
          let us know how you get on
          best wishes, I had a great time when working at BTC CMK.
          johnep

Comment

i may not be in a position to give you an advice, but a general note is:
            * pay attention to kids scripts, i.e check the dose from BNF-C for all those <4-6 years old
            *double check any CD scripts, and make sure to enter it on the same day.

some locum agencies provide the PMR manuals if requested, it's too late for tomorrow, but check if you can get hold of the manual next time when booked.

Best of luck bunny
            [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
            [/COLOR]

Comment

Take cakes for staff!

Comment

I survived!

It actually wasn't too bad - did a few methadones and took a few phone calls but apart from that I was basically checking all day and there was no major problems... still glad I'm off tomorrow to recover tho, I'm exhausted!

Still don't know how to work the smartscript system tho - someone said they would teach me but then we were too busy so didn't get chance. Will definitely try to get the manual from the agency and read a bit about it tho in case I need it again.

Comment

Hey..so it wasn't so bad after all! Welcome to the club Bunny!
                  Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Working...
                  X