Is it worth becoming a locum???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth becoming a locum???

Hi I am a pharmacist manager working in a multichain comp for 5 years but now I think I need a change, I am sick of managing staff and working under targets pressure esp MURs. I am on a good salary, but still thinking about the change of being a locum. To you all locums out there is it worth becoming a full time locum? whats the work like? is it now possible to get locum work every day or at least 5 days a week? or do you think it is going to be a stupid decision. I live in s yorkshire.

Re: Is it worth becoming a locum???

Being a good locum can be just as stressful (or sometimes more so) than being a manager.... but they are different stresses. But after a while, you'll be mostly going to places you know and like so in the mid to long term, more enjoyable in my eyes.

You may even find yourself where I am headed now - a relief for a (very) small chain - all the perks of regular work etc but very little managment rubbish
    Employed again... paid holidays! Yipee

Comment

Originally posted by baldyboy30 View Post
      Hi I am a pharmacist manager working in a multichain comp for 5 years but now I think I need a change, I am sick of managing staff and working under targets pressure esp MURs. I am on a good salary, but still thinking about the change of being a locum. To you all locums out there is it worth becoming a full time locum? whats the work like? is it now possible to get locum work every day or at least 5 days a week? or do you think it is going to be a stupid decision. I live in s yorkshire.
      It's a stupid idea - but don't let that stop you.

Jeff

Comment

Locumming will get tougher.

Boots Allaince merging has resulted in a lot of pharmacists who had "office" jobs being sent into dispensaries to work again. The upcoming recession will, by next holiday season be impacting on contractors who will probably respond by taking less time off.

If you build a good reputation you may build up a good 5 day "niche" but it seems to me you need a change of scenery so look for opportunities with other companies.
        http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

[COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
          [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
            It's a stupid idea - but don't let that stop you.

Jeff
            South Yorkshire?

Mrs Pharmanaut works for a smaller chain that is always looking out for good pharmacists.
            They also have 'old fashioned staff' who look after you.
            For example, someone will turn up out of their normal roster because one of their colleagues felt ill and arranged sick cover themselves.

PM me if you need details.
            47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
            2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
            How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
              South Yorkshire?
              West.

Mrs Pharmanaut works for a smaller chain that is always looking out for good pharmacists.
              Thanks for the offer but I'm trying to work LESS. But it's not easy to say no to someone who pays a Christmas bonus and tries to pay my registration fees.

For example, someone will turn up out of their normal roster because one of their colleagues felt ill and arranged sick cover themselves.
              Doesn't that happen everywhere?

Jeff

Comment

Thanks for the offer but I'm trying to work LESS. But it's not easy to say no to someone who pays a Christmas bonus and tries to pay my registration fees.

Jeff

Yeah. Contractors are bastards

Happy New Year!
                http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

Doesn't that happen everywhere?

Jeff

No, it really, really, doesn't.
                  Employed again... paid holidays! Yipee

Comment

Yes it is well worth being a locum!I love it and have done for nearly 6 years.Never been short of work,no pressure,no targets,no hassle from area managers and almost no stress!

Comment

Hi I've been reliefing for a certain northern based pharmacy/spuermarket group and have had enough. Especially after meeting area manager today. I'm only earning in low 30s but having spoken to friends realise how much I'm potentially losing out on. Do u have to get insurance? Do all locums pay into private pension schemes? Any advice would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by newby82 View Post
                        Hi I've been reliefing for a certain northern based pharmacy/spuermarket group and have had enough. Especially after meeting area manager today. I'm only earning in low 30s but having spoken to friends realise how much I'm potentially losing out on. Do u have to get insurance? Do all locums pay into private pension schemes? Any advice would be great.
                        Hi Newby,
                        well, I think you are probably right to get out. The best time is probably May, because even a dead pharmacist can get employment over the summer, and by the slack period if you are sensible you will have some bookings lined up to tide you over.

Also, I'm coming to the conclusion that until the RP legislation sorts itself out, being a locum is the safest job to take.

But the money won't be as good as you might think. You will have to save money to pay tax, of course. You will also have to pay for your own holidays and sickness, and perhaps sickness insurance -- no SSP or maternity leave, remember, and you will have to organise your own CPD. And your young friends are probably working crazy hours instead of having fun.

And WHETHER OR NOT you are an employee, you need insurance. Phone the PDA today, particularly if you are already having problems with your AM. The payment from a nice constructive dismissal case can finance the transfer to locumhood very nicely, if they are really being offensive. Either way you could do with a second opinion on whether its you or them. Good luck.
                        ....just my opinion

Comment

It's the flexibility that appeals to me. I don't like booking holidays months in advance. I can understand how for people with famalies this is useful but not for me. I'm a young single bloke. I work to live, I don't live to work.

Comment

Fine post David...fully agree.

Now regarding your second question about a pension, I notice from your previous post (Classic Rock), that you are 26. Pensions funds have dropped by around 33% in the present financial climate. At your age, if you do choose to locum, a pension is key to your tax relief. Now is a good time to start, as your contributions will purchase currently low-priced shares, which should hopefully increase considerably in value over the years. It is a long-term investment..treat it as such.

You are allowed a maximum percentage contribution at your highest tax rate, which is age dependant, and based on net-relevant earnings, after other allowable deductions. It will be the singularly most beneficial tax-deduction you can claim. This can be paid to the scheme monthly, or as a lump sum, if you have spare cash at the end of the tax year, or both.

I do both..pay a regular contribution monthly, and pay a lump at the end of the year to maximise my contribution, and therefore tax-allowance.
                            Finally, watch the fund charges..shop around to get the best deal. Again, now is a very good time to do this.

Just saw your latest post newbie...if you become a successful locum, you will still find yourself booking your holidays months in advance, due to bookings. Nothing to complain about..wait for the quieter times, as David said, and take your time off during those periods.

Fleeg.
                            Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Good advice. The best times to be a locum is when you are young and when you are old. In the old days locum work enabled you to decide on where you might buy a pharmacy. These days locum work can help you decide which co or independent you would be happy with.

To me locum work was always a fill in between various jobs in industry and then as a means of helping with finance.

Golden advice, join the PDA.
                              johnep

Comment

Working...
                              X