about tax claims again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• about tax claims again

Can a locum claim tax against accommodation and travel expenses living in different B/B etc all the time (not at home)? Living before taxes sounds unrealistic...

Re: about tax claims again

If you have had to travel and stay overnight as I have on occasions when snow, then claim costs. Make sure have receipts.
    johnep

Comment

but not all the time I see

Comment

Originally posted by kadrig View Post
        but not all the time I see
        The idea is to get the cost of the accommodation back off the employer so that it is cost neutral to you.
        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Too much aggro, I had made my mind up to stay overnight. Asked re help with cost and told would need letter of authorisation from AM. At 4pm I was not going to even try and just stayed and claimed against tax.
          johnep

Comment

My idea was to pay for living before taxes not after as it’s the biggest and essential expense. Other locum expenses aren’t so considerable to reduce taxation significantly (that's my opinion). To live 6 months in B/B only and claim it against taxes is not real.

Comment

No, you cannot live in a BB and claim as would then be your 'principal place of residence'.

You can only claim accomodation and subsistence if stay away necessary to fulfil the locum.

johnep

Comment

As a locum in a temporary work place, you can claim tax relief on travel and accomodation whilst away from home. To be a 'temporary place of work' you need to spend less than 40% of your time there over a 2 year period.

Comment

If you travel all over the country, may be able to claim cost of a caravan and stay at club sites near work.
                  I sold my van to a jobbing plasterer who was planning to work at any building site in the country. My van had h/c running water, central heating, shower and flush loo. When we bought it my wife said much better than the kitchen we had at home. Was Eldis Hurricane.
                  johnep

Comment

Class John..best post of 2009 so far!

Unless you're serious......

Fleeg.

PS...was "Eldis Hurricane" the name of the caravan, or your wife?
                    Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Absolutely serious, modern caravans have every comfort imaginable. Virtually all sites have electric hookups and many have fully serviced pitches with water and sewage hookups.

Ours was a second home and with an awning as well had loads of space.

You can tell that I miss it. The freedom of being able to go almost anywhere at a cost of no more than £10-15 a night for two was wonderful.
                      johnep

Comment

I stand corrected.
                        Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Yes you can, so long as it's not your primary residence. Witness the 'two Homes' secretary

Comment

Working...
                          X