Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving my job to start locuming - help

im leaving my job to start locuming.

can someone please tell me what i need to look in to.

which is the best locum agency

Re: Leaving my job to start locuming - help

Suggest you spend some time viewing the threads in this, the "Locum Forum"...Should all be there for you..Agencies, tax requirements, etc..(see also "moans and groans").
    Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Very briefly:
      1. Assume you're aware of pros and cons
      2. If so, register as "self employed" with HMRC (within 3 months of starting)
      3. Talk to a good accountant re setting yourself up tax efficiently and what basic records you'll need to keep.

Any further questions please pm me.

Comment

Originally posted by REDMAG View Post
        Very briefly:
        1. Assume you're aware of pros and cons
        2. If so, register as "self employed" with HMRC (within 3 months of starting)
        3. Talk to a good accountant re setting yourself up tax efficiently and what basic records you'll need to keep.

Any further questions please pm me.
        How to get bookings and never be short of them...
        Just my 10mmol of advice.
        Become the sort of locum that 'gets in there and gets the job done'.
        There are many who just spend too much time on their mobile phone either talking or 'texting'. The staff do report back to their usual pharmacist who then reports to their area manager etc.
        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

HI
          its been 2 months since u have started to locum, hou is it going r u enjoying it? are u able to get 5 days a week job? what would u recommend to a manager who has been working for 5 years and now wanted to jump in to locums.
          cheers

Comment

Well its only been a week technically, however i signed up to two agencies a while ago, they are good at booking your diary. i have boked two to three days per week for the next two months, the remaining 2 to 3 days per week, i will book the week before,gives a bit of flexibility. my first week i did 5 days and this week im doing 6 out of a big sleection of days and locations

Comment

Well done for a quiet time of year, where abouts are you?
              johnep

Comment

Originally posted by beebee View Post
                Well its only been a week technically, however i signed up to two agencies a while ago, they are good at booking your diary. i have boked two to three days per week for the next two months, the remaining 2 to 3 days per week, i will book the week before,gives a bit of flexibility. my first week i did 5 days and this week im doing 6 out of a big sleection of days and locations
                I'm well pleased for you - I started back locumming about 2 weeks ago & have signed up with 3 agencies (2 i've heard back from, the 3rd nothing so far - will chase up tomorrow!) & so far have done 1 full day for boots and that's it! I am Midlands based but have said I'm willing to travel. One of the reasons one of the agencies is reluctant to book me for certain jobs is that it would mean working with unfamiliar computer systems (eg compass, pharmacy manager, boots system) in busy shops with little or no dispensary support! I need to get to know a basic working knowledge of all the different systems...any advice? (the full day at boots was good as I had excellent dispensers working alongside me - fantastic!)

Comment

In that case, write to the pharmacist at BTC and say how much you enjoyed the day and how helpful everyone was, and, could you perhaps work there again please.

johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                    In that case, write to the pharmacist at BTC and say how much you enjoyed the day and how helpful everyone was, and, could you perhaps work there again please.

johnep
                    Yes, I would second that because as a pharmacy manager it is nice to have a locum who is willing to work regular days and enjoys working in your pharmacy than random different agency locums.

Comment

Just one wee thing to watch out for...referrals. Agencies can take a dim view of a locum doing future private deals with clients that they found for the locum in the first place. If they find out you're doing this, they are usually very unhappy, as obviously they don't get their agency fee.

You may find yourself sailing single-handed in times of trouble, with no agency support. Also, agencies talk to each other.

Just a little input from my own past experience. Tread carefully...

Despite this, I'm still, and probably always will be a locum.

Best of luck!

Fleeg.
                      Don't Stop Believing

Comment

I wasrried about comp systems, but i found these quik guides to every system, i can tell you where to get them or email them. pharmcy manager is easy, boots you can pick up (their ordering systm is crap), nexphase and proscript are easy. sty welll clear of link evolution.lol

i called boots locum co-oprdinator and asked for induction she was more than willing to give. and i accidently went to alliance due to mistake of boots co-odinator so got thrown in deep end with nexphase - the best way to learn i think. and independant showed me proscript and link.

ever hheard the phrase sweet talk lol

yeah one of my agnecies havent got back to me, i chased them up so much, and mines not coz i havnt go exp. it just shows they are crap - not going with them now.

get in touch with locum coordinators and sk to shadow local pharmacist

cheers

Comment

My first day with Nexphase, I had no idea how to progress through a script (f6) or finish (f8). Spent the morning handwriting labels.
                          johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                            Spent the morning handwriting labels.
                            Jeez john..the definitive locum nightmare...obviously no trained support staff on duty....Assume it was the classic "I've paid for the locum, so I'll give everyone else the day off to make my life easier" scenario.
                            Don't Stop Believing

Comment

Working...
                            X