Vat registered locum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vat registered locum

I have been doing a long term locum and am Vat registered. I have recently started doing odd days for other organisations and this seems to cause some problems. Tesco will not employ a Vat registered locum. Does anyone else have problems with this?

Re: Vat registered locum

Originally posted by rogerhadden View Post
    Tesco will not employ a Vat registered locum.
    Why on earth not? Is this an HO decision or someone local.

When (admittedly years ago) I did some work for Tesco there was no problem.

Comment

What reason did they give?

Comment

No reasons given - not sur if it's national, but certainly the area office didn't like it - and their payment system has no capacity to add it.

Comment

That is nothing short of absurd. Vat registration is a legal requirement above the VAT threshold, and even if you are voluntarily-registered below the threshold, the same rules apply; further they have no right to quiz you about how much you earn..(should they try).

I am sure Tesco have no problem paying VAT to other suppliers, including sole-traders such as plumbers etc. so they must surely have a system in place to deal with it. After all, they claim it all back in their own return...and they are perfectly happy to charge it themselves.

You probably don't wish to rock the boat, but if they won't "employ" you, you have nothing to lose.

Contact the Inland Revenue (VAT division) and tell them a VAT registered company (Tesco) are refusing to recognise your status, and are refusing to discharge a legal claim for VAT on an invoice bearing a valid VAT reg. no. Can opened..worms everywhere...the VAT division will be very interested in how many of Tesco's contractors are being "bullied" into not charging VAT, so Tesco retains the money in its own bank accounts, gaining interest.

The knock-on effect would be that if you accepted a payment without the VAT component, you could be forced not to declare that payment in your tax return because otherwise you would have to absorb the loss of VAT, and pay it as if you had received it.

Guarantee the VAT boys will be on the case like a pack of rotweillers..they do not like this type of behaviour.

Fleeg.
          Last edited by Fleegle; 24, September 2008, 08:48 PM.
          Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Hi I'm puzzled as to why you are VAT registered. Locum Pharmacists are generally exempt from VAT as you don't make taxable supplies.

If you've got any further questions I'm more than happy to help. Please pm me.

Comment

Originally posted by REDMAG View Post
              Hi I'm puzzled as to why you are VAT registered. Locum Pharmacists are generally exempt from VAT as you don't make taxable supplies.

If you've got any further questions I'm more than happy to help. Please pm me.
              hi whats all this vat buisness about. plz help. i confused

Comment

Being VAT registered below the compulsory T/O level means you can claim back VAT on any purchases you make in relation to business, eg, stationery, petrol, purchase of computer etc. Sage accts makes it easy. Time Tesco were taken down a peg in view of their behaviour in the Lee case.
                johnep

Comment

i was told that since my supplies are VAT exempt. I dont need to register for VAT :S

Comment

my supplies are VAT exempt
                    So if you bought a computer, you would get it VAT free? Where are you, in Dubai?
                    johnep

Comment

Working...
                    X