locum rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• locum rates

could everyone tell me what rates a locum is likely to get? at the moment I am averaging 21-23 weekdays, 23-25 weekends and 26 sundays, emergency on the day or booked a day before 25 +2 or just 25. did try to increase my rates for emergency work but agencsaid that because of new pharmacists emergency rate has gone down, wouldyou say this is true? when booking tesco is it possible to get a higher rate than their 'bands' for the store.

Re: locum rates

Originally posted by sam_lewis View Post
    could everyone tell me what rates a locum is likely to get? at the moment I am averaging 21-23 weekdays, 23-25 weekends and 26 sundays, emergency on the day or booked a day before 25 +2 or just 25. did try to increase my rates for emergency work but agencsaid that because of new pharmacists emergency rate has gone down, wouldyou say this is true? when booking tesco is it possible to get a higher rate than their 'bands' for the store.
    Judging by recent posts on other threads, that sounds about right. Re emergency work, I think the agency is being cheeky to site "new pharmacists" as a reason for reducing rates...I'm damn sure the agency fee to the pharmacy hasn't reduced...they're just trying to remain competitive at the expense of the locum.

Do a bit of private advertising by email, letter, visit with business card etc. to a few independants...you may be pleasantly surprised (no middle-man therefore increased rate)..play it softly though..you never know when you may need an agency, and referrals can be a problem.

The upshot is..a locum is technically self-employed, in business as a sole-trader, or limited company....and business is business! Get out there and do your own thing! Key point..Remember as such, "the business" you are covering is YOUR client, therefore they are in no position to dictate rates, although I realise they often don't understand this.
    Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

I have no shortage of work at £23ph often its £25 weekdays.
      I just recently got £30 from lloyds for a weekday booking! And this was booked a few weeks in advance via an agency.

The agencies will try to haggle the rate down.

Comment

When I was first a locum in the late 50s, the standard rate was £20/week of 5 1/2 days. a bottle of whisky was 38/6d (about £2). Thus I had to work for 4-5 hours to earn enough to buy a bottle of whisky, now I only have to work for half hour.

So purchasing power of pharmacist wage has gone up except in regard to housing.

The other change for which we have to thank the multiples is the growth in daily locum work. when a proprietor wanted a locum it was usuually in the summer and for a week. the rest of the year locum work was sparse.

Come the multiples and managers wanting 5 day weeks etc, the opportunities multiplied. To see how it was, just look at Ireland where most pharmacies are still independent. Fleegle has described the situation as it was in UK until just a few years ago.

Zoggy has also illustrated lack of locum work on the continent. We might moan about the multiples, but without them the easy availability of locum jobs would not exist.
        johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
          Fleegle has described the situation as it was in UK until just a few years ago.
          Well I suppose I have been gone a good few years now..Genuinely didn't realise the independents have taken such a hit in the UK...Small independent chains are not uncommon in Ireland, and whilst the big boys are moving in, it's usually just a branch or two in the cities, as there isn't that much in-between!

Apologise if I posted wrong advice re. UK position, but I have always had much more satisfaction covering an independent (often a personal friend) than a multiple.

The times they are a'changin' though!
          Don't Stop Believing

Comment

Can anyone confirm to me what Alliance/Moss pay per hour?

In Scotland the rate is £18.80 and has been for 3 years with no increase.

Is this the same rate as the rest of the UK? If it is it really is shocking.

Comment

Originally posted by Hello View Post

Can't confirm current rates in Scotland, sorry!..BUT when Moss were just "Moss", and not "Alliance/Moss" I can confirm that they famously paid the lowest rates on Planet Pharmacy.

When I questioned them, I ended up on the phone to some mumbling idiot who quoted the "Quality of life" in Central Scotland, compared to elsewhere in the UK, where they had to pay a higher rate to get any locum at all!

In retrospect, he may have had a point..see my post on car-theft in Birmingham!

Keep the faith...
              Don't Stop Believing

Comment

Originally posted by Hello View Post

By negotiation. My wife has been charging them £25/hour on a long term locum (which finishes soon).

Jeff

Comment

Hello Everyone

I have put this on the forum several times, but am happy to do so again.

I have charged (without anyone questioning it) for the last two years: -

£25 flat fee, Monday to Saturday 9am to 6.30pm

I have had the occasional Saturday morning when people offered me four hours, and I said no as I didn't want to do it, so they upped their offer to £150 for the work - £37.50 per hour - but this is rare.

I know of a couple of "emergency" locums who really take the mickey and charge something like £40 per hour. They both have terrible reputations for being greedy and lazy, and if there ever is a pharmacist shortage they'll be the last on the list to get a job. The impression I get from talking to people is that they can never guarantee work, and I guess wait at home every morning waiting for the phone to ring.

I earn about 30 - 35k per annum, and work a four day week, and take a lot of weeks off in the year. I am fortunate as I bought my four bed det house 12 years ago for 95k. As I am now happily married, and my husband sold his house, and I invested and etc etc etc (save up guys!) etc I have a comfortable life. I got a new BMW last Tuesday - but it's still just a car, even if it is a nice one.

I am a registered company, and my accountant is Abdul at Shipley's and he is a chartered accountant and a tax advisor lawyer as well - if you contact him quote "pharmacy forum" and he'll give you a good discount - more of that later when his web site is finished and I tell you all in an e-mail.

Hope this helps someone.

Elaine
                  Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                  Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                  Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                    By negotiation. My wife has been charging them £25/hour on a long term locum (which finishes soon).

Jeff
                    you married a p'cist?
                    i can't stand to live with my pharmacy mates, it's enough i see them all at lectures!
                    if you don't mind, tell us in a diff thread how is it like to be married to a p'cist?
                    half day at work, the other half talking about pharmacy related things
                    [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                    [/COLOR]

Comment

I think we pharmacists up in Scotland need to band together and just say no to £18.80, alas I can't see it happen. To be honest most of the locums I work with are married to £100k a year IT consultants and a few hours a week at £18.80 is enough to buy a nice bottle of wine for dinner.

Comment

Illustrates one of the results of feminisation of the profession. If you have a partner earning good money, then your salary tends to go on luxuries rather than necessities.
                        johnep

Comment

so what seems to be the problem, are guys not attracted to the pharmacy profession or is it that girls find pharmacy more to they're taste, or is it that guys are less likely to be good enough candidates for the degree e.g. because of grades etc...????????

i myslef think grades might be the issue
                          We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Working...
                          X