Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job References - for Locums......?

Hey ppl

If a pharmacist has been locuming in various places and some more than others. Is it possible to obtain Job references from them? Preferably with the one you've worked with longer (like few months).

Wot happens if you locum for a year or more?

I've been told by a close friend, that they don't give references because we are 'Locums'...???

Is this true?
    Lazy Lady...
    [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Re: Job References - for Locums......?

Independents will often give a reference if you have worked for them regularly.
    johnep

Comment

Hi

Anybody can give you a reference - just ask for one.

They'd be pretty mean to refuse really.
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy Nite View Post
        Hey ppl

If a pharmacist has been locuming in various places and some more than others. Is it possible to obtain Job references from them? Preferably with the one you've worked with longer (like few months).

Wot happens if you locum for a year or more?

I've been told by a close friend, that they don't give references because we are 'Locums'...???

Is this true?
        I'm guessing that it might be a problem with some of the multiples as I'm not sure who would give the reference if you are mainly locumming in branches without managers. Human Resources would no little (if anything) about you.

You could always suggest taking the job that you are applying for on a locum basis with a view to management (after x weeks) if it's acceptable to both parties.

Jeff

Comment

Thanx guys!

Your comments have given me a better insight into the ‘Locum World’

I’ve been locuming for independents, but I now just want to locum with a multiple one odd day a week before I start my permanent job. I need a reference for the multiple.

I like the flexibility of locuming, but I don’t like they way they get treated sometimes.

Lazy Lady...
          [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

would my recommendation be of any help :P
            [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
            [/COLOR]

Comment

Aaawww…ur a sweetheart Ray..
              Lazy Lady...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                I'm guessing that it might be a problem with some of the multiples as I'm not sure who would give the reference if you are mainly locumming in branches without managers. Human Resources would no little (if anything) about you.

Jeff
                One of the big multiples these days only supply references via human resources - can't see how this can work myself as they do not know you at all.
                That goes for employed staff too as I know students who are applying for pre-regs and are having a difficult time getting a reference from a pharmacy hey have been working in term-time whilst at Uni or holiday-time whilst not at Uni.
                Titch

Comment

I have been aware of this problem and have therefore often offered a personal reference, ie not on behalf of the company. A company reference has to come from HR. A personal reference comes from the person who knows you. When I was made 'redundant' from a company, I did not ask them for a reference, but instead asked my old boss.
                  johnep

Comment

Is Pulse Locums a good agency?
                    Lazy Lady...

Comment

I have worked for loads of agencies, and I'm not sure a good one even exists, anywhere. I just use them to get bookings when I can't get them directly for myself.

I have worked as a store manager, a relief manager all sorts of jobs really. The "happiest" I feel is as a locum.

Just my opinion......
                      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

The Yellow pages isn't bad - just phone the pharmacies saying that your a pharmacist recently registered/new to the area looking for some locum work.
                        I got as far as J in the Bradford book one morning about 30 years ago - haven't had to look for work since.

Jeff

Comment

Thanx peeps!

Haven’t tried the yellow pages yet, but I used NHS.uk to get a list of my local pharmacies, with the services they provide.

I managed to get some bookings with an agency, but they don’t ask for references. Sounds dodgy or is it common?

I guess locuming is good when you have other commitments – I’m not married thou. Other commitments like the gym, mini Europe trips etc
                          Lazy Lady...

Comment

this might help, from other threads

26th, January 2008, 04:58 PM
                            amit
                            Re: Advertising of Locum Agencies

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've used Pharmaseekers. They are based in Darwen and are very professional.

Used Preferred Locums and Pulse too. Advise you all to stay away from them.

I have friends who use Easylocums and they are always rated highly.

This is from my experiences as a locum. Not sure how it would work if you wanted to book a locum.
                            [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                            [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                            X