Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locum Pharmacy (starting off)

Hi

Im a third year student still unsure about hospital or community! Im thinking about becoming a Locum pharmacist when i qualify however i have a few questions!

1. Is it easy to find work?
    2. Do you use agencies?
    3. Can a young locum get a mortgage etc as you dont have a set income?
    4. What about holiday pay? how do you manage not working for a few weeks??

Thanks

starting off in the profession

Hi Geordie & welcome!
    I wouldn't want to curb your enthusiasm but... I think you would be biting off more than you can chew if you were to launch yourself into being a locum straight out of uni, a bit like wanting to be a cabdriver when you've only just passed your driving test...
    There is SOOO much more to the job (of community pharmacist, anyhow)than what they teach you at uni or even in you pre-reg time;learn the ropes working for somebody else, then launch yourself as a locum after a year or two.
    The vast majority of locums I know are self-employed, which means that when they're on holiday, they're not getting a penny, but they can choose to work 6 days/week for a few months and then have a couple of months off or any work pattern they want.
    "Is it easy to find work?" Answer: if you're any good, you'll be booked months in advance and be able to pick and choose where you want to go. If you're useless/lazy/sloppy/unreliable, bookings will quickly dry up.
    Agencies: not indispensable,depends how good you are at "networking" and who you know; you could get yourself on the lists of a large multiple, they'll quickly fill you diary. A good reputation quickly spreads!
    As for the mortgage question I really have no idea. Sorry!
    Any further questions, just ask!
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Thanks, good advice!

It probs would be best to get experience first,

Do hospitals require locums at all? if they do is the pay similar to community rates?

Comment

Im a third year student still unsure about hospital or community! Im thinking about becoming a Locum pharmacist when i qualify however i have a few questions!

1. Is it easy to find work?
        2. Do you use agencies?
        3. Can a young locum get a mortgage etc as you dont have a set income?
        4. What about holiday pay? how do you manage not working for a few weeks??
        Hi Geordie

I work as a locum pharmacist, and have posted about rates of pay on the forum before. To your questions: -

1. Yes usually - depends where you are in the UK
        2. Yes I do - they offer help if you are having problems like not getting paid etc
        3. Yes you can, but I would first get a job, get experience, get your mortgage, and be a locum when you have enough experience and confidence.
        4. You charge £25/hour and save some up - for tax and holidays etc

Any more questions just ask.

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
        Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Cheers!!!!

Comment

Locum Rates

Geordie

No problem. Have a look at the thread: -

http://www.pharmacy-forum.co.uk/foru...topic.php?t=26

It's in retail pharmacy question/locum rates.

This will give you an idea of some things!

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
            Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
            Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Re: Locum Rates

Hi everyone, this is my first post,
              Does anyone have a checklist for setting up as a locum?
              Thanks

Comment

Re: Locum Pharmacy (starting off)

3 years accounts are needed for the mortgage application usually unless you want to go for the self certification option, which may have a higher interest rate.

Comment

Re: Locum Rates

Originally posted by Killer Instinct View Post
                  Hi everyone, this is my first post,
                  Does anyone have a checklist for setting up as a locum?
                  Thanks
                  Have a good read of these sites...It's all there. If you're still up for it, hire an accountant and go for it.

Fleeg. (career locum)...if you do it right, you will keep your eyes wide open, and always anticipate change. Now is not the time.

HM Revenue & Customs: Tax allowances and reliefs if you're self-employed

Sole trader self assessment tax guide

Best of luck by the way!
                  Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Working...
                  X