Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emergency/last minute rates

Hi,
    I am regularly doing a few days a week booked locum work but I am considering doing a bit of last minute work here and there.. anyone got any advice?
    i.e rates to charge, agencies to use or not use, do you charge for travelling time.. many thanks..

Re: emergency/last minute rates

Emergency rate usually Sunday/Bank Holiday Rate. Currently £27/hr at one multiple.
    johnep

Comment

I usually get £25 for emergencies, but charge plus two (hours) which usually accounts for (a) travelling (emergencies are further away) and (b) shorter day. I will usually charge from time of arrival, which stops me rushing about in traffic.

One of the companies will only pay £24 plus two, so I don't travel far with them, or say, well ok but from 9am, or something.
      ....just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by DavidS View Post
        I usually get £25 for emergencies, but charge plus two (hours) which usually accounts for (a) travelling (emergencies are further away) and (b) shorter day. I will usually charge from time of arrival, which stops me rushing about in traffic.

One of the companies will only pay £24 plus two, so I don't travel far with them, or say, well ok but from 9am, or something.
        I'm £25/hr for regular bookings
        Emergencies - for someone I know - and if it is a real emergency (heart attack) - and I can help - I wouldn't charge. (If it's to play in a golf tournament - or they've woken up with a cold and are phoning on the off chance - my normal rate)
        Someone I've never heard of £50/hour and you can cancel at no charge any time before I set off because I really don't fancy it.

This isn't a workable model for someone who wants to do this seriously

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
          I'm £25/hr for regular bookings
          Emergencies - for someone I know - and if it is a real emergency (heart attack) - and I can help - I wouldn't charge. (If it's to play in a golf tournament - or they've woken up with a cold and are phoning on the off chance - my normal rate)
          Someone I've never heard of £50/hour and you can cancel at no charge any time before I set off because I really don't fancy it.

This isn't a workable model for someone who wants to do this seriously

Jeff
          Well a friend of mine who works for her own agency , charged £350 last week for an emergency cover- she worked from 12.30 to 6pm ; firm paid her 3 hours journey time; paid from 9am,travel costs and emergency fees
          Emergencies don't happen every day and since remote supervision isn't up and running yet ....my attitude is why not..if not ?! locum/employee p'cists will never be rich but we must make the best of what we have ( whilst we've still got it)
          PS: i only charge £23/hr +mileage for non-emergencies
          Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

Originally posted by kemzero View Post
            Well a friend of mine who works for her own agency
            This is a good argument for getting together with a few pals and starting your own agency, and I know of several that do this. And when a good booking comes in, they try and offload ones they don't want onto other locums in the area. That's OK so long as I'm paid what they promise, and the placement is honestly described, etc., but alas it pays to be cautious as in their enthusiasm I may get carried away .......
            ....just my opinion

Comment

I've so far been unlucky in getting emergency bookings. I leave the odd date here and their free, usually Fridays and School holidays but never seem to get these. I'm registered with PPLS, the locum agency and locumlink.
              How does a locum get these gigs?

Comment

Originally posted by Web Ferret View Post
                I've so far been unlucky in getting emergency bookings. I leave the odd date here and their free, usually Fridays and School holidays but never seem to get these. I'm registered with PPLS, the locum agency and locumlink.
                How does a locum get these gigs?
                Well, I used to phone up some local multiples in the morning when I got up, and remind them I was alive. They would generally pay from 9 or plus two, or whatever. And I used to email a select list of people at the start of the week and remind them too - but I'd be lucky to get an emergency rate off any of those.

Its a bit like playing chicken: can you hold your nerve, how far are you prepared to travel, and how badly do you need the cash as compared with a day off?

Also - and I'm sure this doesn't apply to the likes of you - do you have a reputation for doing some work, or spending the day reading the paper and chatting on the mobile. You will still get some work, even cardboard cutouts with a certificate who have poor personal hygiene and/or don't speak English get some work, but you will be at the bottom of their list.

My plan was always to do just that in the summer (not the personal hygiene, just the "chicken"), and book ahead and go on holiday in the off-season - November to May. It doesn't work out like that, though! Every year so far my nerve goes by about April, and I get pretty well booked up until October again!
                ....just my opinion

Comment

The problem with emergencies is that they phone you that day so there is no confirmation in writing--afterwards they could deny they promised you the amount you are claiming and you might never see it.

Comment

All I am doing at the moment is emergencies. Either on the day or the day before.

The agency I am with get me really good rates and always seem to offer me a nice selection of work.

I have told them to confirm all my emergency bookings via email and text. so if there are any problems in terms of agreed rates i have hard evidence!

But no problems yet!

Comment

Hi,

Supalocum - Which agencies are you listed with?
                      Is it very difficult to get locums during school term times?

Thanks!

Comment

Outside of London and Birmingham, work always available. Problem is saying NO when you do not want to work that day.
                        johnep

Comment

Working...
                        X