Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

occasional locum

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • occasional locum

    good evening everybody,
    I am an employee pharmacist and I would like to do some occasional saturdays as locum, I wonder how will I be paid? I mean will the company pay me the gross pay so I will need to make my own declaration at the end of the year or will they pay me as an employee, detucting taxes?

    thanks

  • #2
    Re: occasional locum

    Hi and welcome

    They will probably pay you as a self employed person, so you'll have to get your own accounts, tax etc done. I know a very good accountant if you need one.
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: occasional locum

      I did this for many years. Open a business account with ,say, nationwide who will pay you interest rather than charge you as the big banks do.
      I made a 'loss' for many years and was able to set this against paye.
      On retirement just carried on and started making a profit.
      johnep

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: occasional locum

        Originally posted by johnep View Post
        I did this for many years. Open a business account with ,say, nationwide who will pay you interest rather than charge you as the big banks do.
        I made a 'loss' for many years and was able to set this against paye.
        On retirement just carried on and started making a profit.
        johnep
        I am lost :-)
        so the company will pay me as self-employed, I need to save around 25% in order to pay the taxes at the end of the year, better in a good bank account.
        at this point the question is how to pay taxes... can I ask to my employer to add them to my PAYE or will I need to produce some documents at the end of the year?
        I read on the HM website that under £2500 I probably don't need to produce a self assessment form but it is not very clear.
        which procedure do you follow?
        thanks

        Marco

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: occasional locum

          If its just the odd locum, do what most people would do and don't declare it, especially if paid in cash!!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: occasional locum

            Originally posted by JonF View Post
            If its just the odd locum, do what most people would do and don't declare it, especially if paid in cash!!!!
            the problem is that my payment will be put through their payroll...so everything will probably be registered.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: occasional locum

              I wouldnt advise same as John as it's not legal but doesnt matter if it's though their payroll, no one will check unless they have reason to check.

              most likely you'll be earning above the 40% tax threshold, so tecnically if you pay the tax for this occasonal locum, you will only be getting £15 an hour (based on £25 per hr), is that worth it???
              We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: occasional locum

                Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
                I wouldnt advise same as John as it's not legal but doesnt matter if it's though their payroll, no one will check unless they have reason to check.

                most likely you'll be earning above the 40% tax threshold, so tecnically if you pay the tax for this occasonal locum, you will only be getting £15 an hour (based on £25 per hr), is that worth it???
                considering that is occasional I won't be anyway over £40000 considering my employed work so i should pay 23% in taxes, in this case it is still worthing. So we can return in the legal way, how do I have to declare this income? in the PAYE or an additional form?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: occasional locum

                  Originally posted by typhoon View Post
                  good evening everybody,
                  I am an employee pharmacist and I would like to do some occasional saturdays as locum, I wonder how will I be paid? I mean will the company pay me the gross pay so I will need to make my own declaration at the end of the year or will they pay me as an employee, detucting taxes?

                  thanks
                  If you're thinking of locumming for the company that you already work for they'll pay you as an employee.
                  If you are thinking of locumming elsewhere - check that your current contract of employment allows it - then do you best to be paid as self employed and go for the tax breaks that come with it - but see a real accountant for proper advice.

                  Jeff

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: occasional locum

                    Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
                    I wouldnt advise same as John as it's not legal
                    About as legal as taking the odd Co-codamol 30/500 from the pharmacy where you're working- see 'these hours are killing me' thread-post 33'

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: occasional locum

                      Originally posted by JonF View Post
                      If its just the odd locum, do what most people would do and don't declare it, especially if paid in cash!!!!
                      haha i like it this way lol. are you sure we wont get in trouble for not declaring?
                      [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                      [/COLOR]

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: occasional locum

                        Originally posted by Ray View Post
                        haha i like it this way lol. are you sure we wont get in trouble for not declaring?
                        Never do it.
                        The revenue will estimate how many you have done and will bill you.
                        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                        How times change.

                        If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: occasional locum

                          Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
                          Never do it.
                          The revenue will estimate how many you have done and will bill you.
                          the question is, do they keep a track? lets say you pay Income tax+NI from your permanent job, and you only locum on saterday with another company who pays you in a different bank account?
                          [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                          [/COLOR]

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: occasional locum

                            Companies will list you in their accts as an expense. Used to be an allowance of £30 for 'casual labour'. But not sure now. In the 50s I did not declare and eventually was faced with, what to me at the time as a student, a large bill and a warning. After that, kept accts.
                            johnep

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: occasional locum

                              Originally posted by Ray View Post
                              the question is, do they keep a track? lets say you pay Income tax+NI from your permanent job, and you only locum on saterday with another company who pays you in a different bank account?
                              I wouldn't march too far down this road on a public forum.
                              Don't Stop Believing

                              http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X