Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mileage Rates

What are people claiming for mileage?

Given the ever upwards cost of fuel I thought I'd open this debate.

The PPLS rate has been 28p for years now.

I charge 30p from mile one - if someone pays less or knocks off the first whatever miles they don't get my services.

Re: Mileage Rates

i thought it was closer to 40p per mile????
    We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Originally posted by Web Ferret View Post
      What are people claiming for mileage?
      I don't.

Jeff

Comment

I just spoke to Team Locum and they told me that they speak to the employers and they accept whatever rate they are given.
        Funny, we are getting the agencies their pay and they bend over backwards and accept whatever the pharmacy says.
        Lloyds for example will pay 25p per mile and will cap you one way travel to 60 miles maximum and then on too of that they will deduct the first 40 miles so say you travelled 80 miles round trip you will only get paid for 40 miles.

The worst thing is that locums will not stand up and say no so we are being taking full advantage of.

Comment

If you claim and get paid mileage as part of your fee, then this will be taxed. however you can then claim the standard IR allowance of 40p/mile on top and this comes straight off your tax.

Ie, today I did 56 miles there and back and SD paid me 30p/mile. this is part of my invoiced fee and therefore will be taxed. Accordingly, I will also claim 56 miles at 40p/mile against my tax.
          johnep

Comment

Originally posted by sanjay.pharmacist View Post
            Lloyds for example will pay 25p per mile and will cap you one way travel to 60 miles maximum and then on too of that they will deduct the first 40 miles so say you travelled 80 miles round trip you will only get paid for 40 miles.
            That's reason 39 (or is it 41?) why I won't work for LLoyds.

Comment

I agree Lloyds is slowly blacklisting itself in my books, but the other companies are now starting to follow suit.
              I only locum on some weekends so sticking with the big guns is my only option.

I am just worried that the more locums who accept the lower rates these companies are willing to pay combined with lower mileage rates the more we as professionals will be taken advantage of.

Optometrists charge £250 on a weekday and upto £350 on a weekend.

Is there no way that we can get all locums to stand up and say no???

Comment

I agree Lloyds is slowly blacklisting itself in my books, but the other companies are now starting to follow suit.
                I only locum on some weekends so sticking with the big guns is my only option.

I am just worried that the more locums who accept the lower rates these companies are willing to pay combined with lower mileage rates the more we as professionals will be taken advantage of.

Optometrists charge £250 on a weekday and upto £350 on a weekend.

Is there no way that we can get all locums to stand up and say no???
                Well, I just charge a higher hourly rate. But then I don't need to work all the time.
                ....just my opinion

Comment

So you charge the big guns a higher hourly rate and they accept this?????

Comment

Yes - I set my own rates - and if a pharmacy doesn't want me at that rate - so be it. My rate bears little relation to their published rates

Jeff

Comment

But how do you get them to actually pay what they said and not tell you that you must have misunderstood and that they never pay more than x per hour.

Comment

Me too. I work out what I want to do that job and then divi it up so that I get it, or I have a day off!. Mostly, I get it, because I quite like most of the work I do.
                        ....just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by lamzee View Post
                          But how do you get them to actually pay what they said and not tell you that you must have misunderstood and that they never pay more than x per hour.
                          Wow, that's appauling. I had this with one agency, and I blamed the multiple although with hindsight I think it was the agency who were after their fee. That agency has since changed name and owner.

Its a problem, because that agency used to get me quite good deals most of the time. After seething for a bit, I just made it up on my next emergency booking for the firm.
                          ....just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by lamzee View Post
                            1. Join the PDA and take their advice.
                            2. Make your rates clear to them in future (in writing) and get confirmation before accepting the booking.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                            X