mur extra payment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mur extra payment

Hi I am new to the locum world having reduced my hours from everyones favourite multiple !! As I am well trained in MURs do many places pay extra per mur performed i.e £5/£10 for each one ? obviously ( or not ??) Lloyds do not pay locums any extra ( just put pressure on to perform) Thanks ..

Re: mur extra payment

Originally posted by quizbuff View Post
    Hi I am new to the locum world having reduced my hours from everyones favourite multiple !! As I am well trained in MURs do many places pay extra per mur performed i.e £5/£10 for each one ? obviously ( or not ??) Lloyds do not pay locums any extra ( just put pressure on to perform) Thanks ..
    I am a locum and would never dream of even trying to charge for doing an MUR. I wouldn't charge extra for the morning after pill, minor ailment schemes etc. I see all this as part of my core service as a pharmacist to be honest.
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Hi quizbuff

I have been locuming for some time and have never been paid extra for MUR's. That said most contractors/owners don't expect locums to undertake them. They simply don't book any patients when the are away. They do however expect the other enhanced services-hence my rantings about multiple PGD's.
      Hope this is of use and if you do find anyone paying extra let me know. I would gladly undertake them.

JB

Comment

I've been offered extra - but was vaguely insulted - it's part of the core services.
        I've done the occasional MUR only locum - but usually as a favour to friends to get them started.

Jeff

Comment

i wud certainly charge extra, because although the money the pharmacy makes from these is just redirected money (e.g. from dispensing), its an additional job for the locum, the dispensing volume hasnt gone down, one would still have to do the same amount of prescriptions as before if not more. The contractors recognise this by offering their pharmacy managers and other employed pharmacists bonuses for doing MURs.

as for being part of the core services, well if i were to work as an employ id have to negotiate so doin MUR and providin other services was taken into account when making a wage offer to me. Previously contractors treatest pharmacist like dispensin machines that could be easly replaced and the wage represented this, but now maybe they will reconsider as pharmacist appear to be more like HCPs.
          We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

I justify a higher hourly rate by being accredited to deliver all the extra services e.g. EHC PGD, minor ailments, methadone supervision, MURs.
            So in one way I am being paid albeit not a proportion of the MUR fee, but I get paid my higher rate whether I do any of those services or none.

I am happy to undertake MURs as/when the opportunity arises but recently, many of my locum shifts have had staffing levels etc that have not left me in a position to choose to spend 10 mins or so in the consultation room.

Some multiples are pushing MURs and being very demanding of locums to help them reach targets.

I admit I would be more inclined to do more of them if there were a monetary incentive for me but if a patient could benefit from a MUR then I'll do it, regardless of whether I'll be paid or not.
            Titch

Comment

I see what you are saying titch but pharmacy contractors dont see it like that, they only want to pay you for dispensing and then expect you to provide all the other services for free aswell.

In the negotiation process I would want to make sure im paid adequately for all the services I provide, but whatrever the outcome I would not refuse to offer one of these services e.g. MUR, EHC if the i judge that the patient would benefit from it.

You have to double bluff the contractor so both you and the patient benefit not just the contractor.
              We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

I get paid £8.50 per MUR , and being an advance service I feel I should be paid
                I'm paid £23/hour for other core duties which includes scripts,smokig cessation EHC and minor ailments

Contractors get £27 pe MUR, call me greedy but ther is no way I'm doing it for nothing
                P'cists are underpaid anyway, compared to other professionals so I try not to sell myself short!
                Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

i would probably expect a 50-50 on the £27 fee as the locum is the one doing all the work. its during an MUR where a community pharmacist is most likely to use his/her most advanced knowledge and expertise, on the part of the pharmacy contractors what are they exactally doing to deserve that £18.50p, while your happy with 8.50 after doing all the work. They are not going to decrease your workload by like 20 items are they.

im not acting greedy either but pharmacy contractors have to recognise that between pre-MUR and post-MUR times, the dispensing worload has not decreased, if anything it's increased. so although that 8.50 might sound decent for the 15 minutes one had to spend with the patient for the MUR, it's still unfair compared to how much the DoH has pledged to this process (£27).

This is a standard case of pharmacists generally undervaluing their expertise and knowledge, if one does a really good MUR for a patient not only will the pharmacy get the MUR fee they will also get a loyal patient/customer for life, what do you get? a measly 8.50!!! and i bet your happy with the too, bet your trilled really. But atleast ou asked for something, most would do it for free, im not saying deny a patient an MUR if they dont pay you, just that you dont have to put it on paper for the pharmacy contractors to gain from, while you dont get anything.

End of the day I hate employers who are exploitative of their employees.

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
                    i would probably expect a 50-50 on the £27 fee as the locum is the one doing all the work. its during an MUR where a community pharmacist is most likely to use his/her most advanced knowledge and expertise, on the part of the pharmacy contractors what are they exactally doing to deserve that £18.50p, while your happy with 8.50 after doing all the work. They are not going to decrease your workload by like 20 items are they.

im not acting greedy either but pharmacy contractors have to recognise that between pre-MUR and post-MUR times, the dispensing worload has not decreased, if anything it's increased. so although that 8.50 might sound decent for the 15 minutes one had to spend with the patient for the MUR, it's still unfair compared to how much the DoH has pledged to this process (£27).

This is a standard case of pharmacists generally undervaluing their expertise and knowledge, if one does a really good MUR for a patient not only will the pharmacy get the MUR fee they will also get a loyal patient/customer for life, what do you get? a measly 8.50!!! and i bet your happy with the too, bet your trilled really. But atleast ou asked for something, most would do it for free, im not saying deny a patient an MUR if they dont pay you, just that you dont have to put it on paper for the pharmacy contractors to gain from, while you dont get anything.

End of the day I hate employers who are exploitative of their employees.
                    I don't think the people who control the money care whether it is a good MUR an average MUR or just a MUR... In this age of targets and numbers, I don't see being able to do a "really good MUR" as being a particular selling point, especially for an occasional locum. Any how if your MUR is "really good" are you trying to say its better that one done by any other MUR trained pharmacist? If so by what standard? Is it measurably good or better. Are you going to be there for follow up in a few months or years time?

I don't know the answers. I'll be the first to admit I have a tendency to tick boxes but really you need evidence that you can deliver before making such demands.

In addition don't forget the bussiness costs and overheads of the contractor. Even if you do the best MUR in the world you can't do it from your sitting room

paul
                    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
                    (T. Pratchett)

Comment

Originally posted by paul2008 View Post
                      I don't think the people who control the money care whether it is a good MUR an average MUR or just a MUR... In this age of targets and numbers, I don't see being able to do a "really good MUR" as being a particular selling point, especially for an occasional locum. Any how if your MUR is "really good" are you trying to say its better that one done by any other MUR trained pharmacist? If so by what standard? Is it measurably good or better. Are you going to be there for follow up in a few months or years time?

I don't know the answers. I'll be the first to admit I have a tendency to tick boxes but really you need evidence that you can deliver before making such demands.

In addition don't forget the bussiness costs and overheads of the contractor. Even if you do the best MUR in the world you can't do it from your sitting room

paul
                      I'd reply to this one but have met my posting target for this week.
                      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
                        I'd reply to this one but have met my posting target for this week.
                        Is there a punishment for not meeting or exceeding target postings? I have completely ignored this.

Admin, Please don't kick me off or take away my smilies
                        Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
                        (T. Pratchett)

Comment

Originally posted by paul2008 View Post
                          Is there a punishment for not meeting or exceeding target postings? I have completely ignored this.

Admin, Please don't kick me off or take away my smilies
                          No worries on that front. Why not have an avatar as well? Have a look at this lot, or choose your own and send it to me.....

http://www.pharmacy-forum.co.uk/plea...3-avatars.html
                          Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                          Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                          Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Titch View Post
                            I justify a higher hourly rate by being accredited to deliver all the extra services e.g. EHC PGD, minor ailments, methadone supervision, MURs.
                            I agree. I locum at £25 but have all the relevant CPD qualifications. I had to do these in my own time and at my own expense.

If someone has paid for you to do the MUR course then its difficult for you to charge extra - If it cost you to do the course that should be reflected in what you charge or an extra payment.

Comment

recently saw a managers job advertised in the pj, said £5 bonus per MUR so thats £2,000 bonus if ones reached the max allowed, I guess the employers started with the final figure and jus decided to present it as per MUR.

from these activities (max 400 MURs per year), the pharmacy thus makes a profit of £8,800 per year without really investing anything. so its not like say atenolol where they have to spend 20p per pack before they get reimbursed 50p from the PPA.

the pharmacy has overheads staff costs etc.. but that is their problem, end of the day pharmacists as their daily work would do the same if not more dispensing and counselling etc... but MURs etc... are extra work which should be adequately compensated for by the contractor.

Comment

Working...
                              X