Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PGD's

Dear Locums

like yourselves I am a locum and for some time have been trying to improve the services I provide to patients.
    To this end I have been forced to replicate many different PCT's training courses so that I have been able to get on their PGD's and provide enhances services.
    I have suggested to several that they arrange with other PCT's a joint meeting say on NRT, with each PCT "donating" some of its training budget. Advertise it in the PJ or via the LPC's so that locums, who frequently cover many different PCT's can at the end of the course be allowed to sign up to all the PGD's of the PCT's present.
    It would save already strapped PCT's money and locums time by them not having to attend several NRT courses all of which are just duplications of courses already attended.
    Is this too simple or has anyone come across such a scheme?
    If not then on a positive note its easy for locums to get their 30 hours CPD each year but take it from someone that has done several (but not all) different PCT courses on various subjects it is really boring attending the same stuff over and over again.
    Feedback would be appreciated.

best wishes
    John B

Re: PGD's

Originally posted by john burns View Post
    Dear Locums

like yourselves I am a locum and for some time have been trying to improve the services I provide to patients.
    To this end I have been forced to replicate many different PCT's training courses so that I have been able to get on their PGD's and provide enhances services.
    I have suggested to several that they arrange with other PCT's a joint meeting say on NRT, with each PCT "donating" some of its training budget. Advertise it in the PJ or via the LPC's so that locums, who frequently cover many different PCT's can at the end of the course be allowed to sign up to all the PGD's of the PCT's present.
    It would save already strapped PCT's money and locums time by them not having to attend several NRT courses all of which are just duplications of courses already attended.
    Is this too simple or has anyone come across such a scheme?
    If not then on a positive note its easy for locums to get their 30 hours CPD each year but take it from someone that has done several (but not all) different PCT courses on various subjects it is really boring attending the same stuff over and over again.
    Feedback would be appreciated.

best wishes
    John B
    Fully agree with you. I can't see why there can't be a common national training package for all these things, unless human physiology now changes from PCT to PCT <g>. All there has to be is an A4 sheet that lists the specific PCT implementation and away we go providing the service.
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

It can be done: the All-Wales Smoking Cessation Service is living proof of it. If you're accredited in Flintshire, you can work under the same PGD, performing the same process and filling in the same paperwork, in Pembrokeshire or Monmouthshire!
      Any smoker in Wales can call the "Stop Smoking Wales" freephone number to find out where the nearest pharmacy offering this enhanced service is.
      Pharmacist accreditation is also Wales-wide.
      And having offered the service for over a year, I can say it's extremely rewarding and satisfying, as well as successful!
      Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

I often get a reading of 2 or 3 on the smokerlyzer and I don't smoke!

Comment

I've never smoked in my life and I once managed a reading of 7ppm! I had been stuck in traffic on that bl***y A55 that morning for 15 minutes, and the weather was quite still, atmospheric inversion etc..., so ambient CO levels were relatively high...
          Well that's my excuse, anyway!
          Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

I am suspicious this is the start of an advert - it's wasn't even in the locum section, yet started off "Dear Locums".

I've moved it to the relevant forum (this one!), and we'll keep an eye on it.
            Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
            Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
            Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by lamzee View Post
              I often get a reading of 2 or 3 on the smokerlyzer and I don't smoke!
              I can make all the lights go on - but it leaves me out of breath ;-)

Comment

I used to regularly get readings up to 5ppm when I lived near the Tyne Tunnel.

Think there is definately something in the exhaust fumes line.....
                Titch

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
                  Fully agree with you. I can't see why there can't be a common national training package for all these things, unless human physiology now changes from PCT to PCT <g>. All there has to be is an A4 sheet that lists the specific PCT implementation and away we go providing the service.
                  I am glad some one agrees with me. I always thought that the CPPE courses were "national". What is happening (PCT's insisting on their courses as well)- It kind of devalues the CPPE packages in my mind. From experiance my nearest PCT insists that you have completed the CPPE course on EHC before being considered for their course. Again duplication of everything. Maybe the way PGD's are structured, like a contract is at fault? Any thoughts?

JB

Comment

Just a variation of the good old NIH (Not invented here) syndrome.
                    johnep

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                      I am suspicious this is the start of an advert - it's wasn't even in the locum section, yet started off "Dear Locums".

I've moved it to the relevant forum (this one!), and we'll keep an eye on it.
                      dear administrator
                      by way of a reply/explaination for my long abscence may i say i was lead to believe that this forum was for all pharmacists and was a very good idea. hence my registration. however i do feel a little threatened by your monitoring and indeed stopped using the site after the question of my being a bona fida pharmacist was called into question. what other kind of site user would know about non nucleotide reverse transcriptase inhibitors, integrase inhibitors and a whole raft of other long named drugs. I hope this demonstrates that i am a registered pharmacist (36 years and counting). jb
                      Last edited by Messier; 16, December 2009, 05:46 PM. Reason: to add another point

Comment

i do feel a little threatened by your monitoring and indeed stopped using the site after the question of my being a bona fida pharmacist was called into question.
                        Sorry if moving/monitoring a post upset you, but with this site being for pharmacists we have a lot of spamming attempts that need to be addressed.

All UK registered pharmacists are invited to join the private pharmacist section of the site - see welcome letter/PM. The question of wether anyone is a bona fide pharmacist only comes into question when joining this section, as the rest of the forum is open to technicians, students etc

The last post in this section was March 2008, so there really is no need for any explanation. It's also better not to use your real name, but as there isn't a John Burns listed as being registered for 36 years from your area of the country I see you haven't. Having said that there is no need to use a fake last name - a nickname will do.

non nucleotide reverse transcriptase inhibitors, integrase inhibitors and a whole raft of other long named drugs
                        I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here - these are both classes of drugs used as antivirals/antiretrovirals and are not drug names as such. You can find information on these in a variety of places.

I work as a locum myself and must say that I have never met any other locum that actually attends PCT training courses in more then one PCT. I personally take the view that the travelling/time involved etc does not make it worthwhile as the regular (or a local) pharmacist can simply provide the required service the following day, or the customer can be sent to a shop that also provides these services. I guess that is my own feedback. From reading the other posts it appears that Wales has the right idea about this sort of thing.
                        Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                        Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Well you have met one now. I cover Cambridgeshire, Suffolk and Norfolk and have had to attend courses in each for accreditation. Then never had the opportunity to use except for EHC as surgeries grabbed all the smoking cessation etc.

PCT Accreditations:
                          Cambridgeshire: Smartcard, MUR, EHC PGD, Impetigo PGD, Smoking Cessation
                          Suffolk: Smartcard, MUR, Smoking Cessation.
                          Norfolk: Smartcard, MUR.

johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post

PCT Accreditations:
                            Cambridgeshire: Smartcard, MUR, EHC PGD, Impetigo PGD,
                            johnep
                            impetigo pgd? What sort of treatment is offered as part of pgd?

Comment

Fucidin cream.
                              johnep

Comment

Working...
                              X