Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motivation to do pharmacy

hiya guys!!
    just thought id try n clear a few things up.
    id like to introduce myself first.
    im farah and will be doing pharmacy in september at aston uni.
    im reading alot of posts from experienced and qualified pharmacists saying dont do pharmacy (including the administrator for this forum)
    i would just like to know what is so bad about the career?
    so far, from what i know and have researched and seen, i dont think its such a bad career to go into, however, obviously the people already in the field will have more to go on than i do.
    i am hoping to go into industry or hospital pharmacy - right now im thinking pharmacy consultant or independent prescriber but who knows - 4 years is a long time, i may change my mind by then.
    i guess the main thing i would liek to know is why there are so many unhappy pharmacists here, most which tend to work in the retail sector? is it really that bad?

Re: motivation to do pharmacy

Main problem is that these days it is so easy to make an error. Your next script may be the one! The other is what do you want out of pharmacy, excitement, stimulalting career? Look elsewhere.

what has been true until now has been that the next job is close by and you can always do a locum. Personally, I got out of community in the 60s because I did not like the hours -- 5 1/2 day week then and always had to work easter saturday which meant you couls not go away for the weekend. at Christmas, having to work christmas eve, perhaps on rota and just haveing the bare two days off.

I escaped to industry and enjoyed 5 day weeks, holidays when I wanted them AND USUALLY A FORTNIGHT OFF AT CHRISTMAS.

export work enabled me to see the world at someone elses expense, but it is locum work which is providing me with a comfortable 'retirement'.

would I do it again? maybe but knowing what I know now, if in community it would be in a nice part of the world such as florida, queensland, New zealand etc.
    johnep.

Comment

Johnep has hit the nail on the head.
      There is considerable time pressure on us now - activities to prop up the NHS increase each day, sorting prescription logistics and generally doing every patients thinking for them takes its toll. There are too many plates spinning at once, and if we drop one....
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by farah_w View Post
        im reading alot of posts from experienced and qualified pharmacists saying dont do pharmacy (including the administrator for this forum)
        Well, h’m, it’s like the curate’s egg.

Comment

At the risk of repeating myself:
          I'm a happy community pharmacist. I like my job, I find it very rewarding. I work 4 1/2 days a week, and take 2 x 4 weeks off per year, plus a few extra days here and there. Of course I complain, we all do, because we can; Doesn't mean I'm looking for a way out, though! If I had children I'd love them to study Pharmacy and follow in my footsteps, so I'd recommend it to anyone!

So you see, we're not all unhappy in retail!
          Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

at the risk of being a male chauvinist pig, I would suggest that pharmacy is ideal if the household has another income coming in. this is why in my role of branch careers officer, I told girl's schools that pharmacy is ideal for scientific minded girls. In my experience scientific girls often do biology or subjects such as pharmacology and these do not have the part time opportunities available to pharmacists. Pharmacy fits in well with children. ( Many mothers only locum in term time)

For men as the sole breadwinner when full time working is a necessity, then community pharmacy becomes just a job rather than a fulfilling career.

This is because we are required by law. This does not apply in industry or previously in hospital where a career could take you to the top.

training in community is in your time, training in industry can be at overseas conferences and is always in company time.

However, the UK pharmaceutical industry has had enough of continual carping by press and govnmt and is moving overseas with the rest of manufacturing. The openings for pharmacists are few. In the old days there were several pages of industry jobs in the PJ, now often only a solitary advert.

johnep

Comment

hey guys.
              thanks for ur replies, they have been very helpful!!!
              i just wanted to ask you guys something - if you could do pharmacy again, considering how times are changing for pharmacists - what sector (hospital/industry/community) would you choose now and why?
              following my research and what i know so far, im hoping to look into a career in industry or hospital - but many things change in 5 years so im just abit worried.
              thank you for the replies so far!!

Comment

I have posted several times on why NOT to do pharmacy before. So instead on repeating myself just take a look at these threads instead:

My first post from this thread sums everything up pretty well -
                http://www.pharmacy-forum.co.uk/gene...-pharmacy.html

http://www.pharmacy-forum.co.uk/ask-...er-change.html

http://www.pharmacy-forum.co.uk/stud...-medicine.html

http://www.pharmacy-forum.co.uk/stud...next-year.html

Comment

Hi farah.

I'm coming to the end of my pre-reg year in hospital and i've accepted a job offer to stay on next year.
                  I love working in hospital; the work is interesting, you get to rotate through all the bits of the hospital - you're always learning so it keeps the job interesting. There's good job security and you feel valued by the staff you work with.

Beyond junior level, the more senior pharmacists are on better money, but stress comes with that. That said they do seem to have a good level of input writing prescribing guidelines/D&T comittee.

The drawbacks whihc i've found are the on-call commitments can be a pain and the pay is lower than community.

I don't regret doing pharmacy at all.

Comment

Originally posted by farah_w View Post
                    hiya guys!!

Farah

I just try to post what I think, and give people some insight from my own experience in pharmacy. Some people love their jobs, some feel ok about it, and some hate it.

I started the forum so we could get to know the opinions of other pharmacists, have a bit of fun, and get things off your chest.

Like Mrs Robinson points out, it's like the curate's egg - some bits are great and others not so great.

I guess the best thing to do is to try to get some experience and find out for yourself if it's for you or not.
                    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post

I guess the best thing to do is to try to get some experience and find out for yourself if it's for you or not.
                      Wise old admin has a very good point there.
                      You can't go too far wrong with first hand experience

Comment

Originally posted by alex View Post
                        Wise old admin has a very good point there.
                        You can't go too far wrong with first hand experience
                        Old, old? Who says I'm old! I play the electric guitar I've have you know sonny!

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                        Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Old, old? Who says I'm old! I play the electric guitar I've have you know sonny!

Yes less of the old matey... your time will come.
                          ...now who's up for some scuba diving.
                          47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                          2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
                            Yes less of the old matey... your time will come.
                            ...now who's up for some scuba diving.
                            Well I suppose so... it was my birthday last week. 23, nearly halfway to 50! Time for taking up something new before it's too late i think.

Comment

Yeah, so does Keith Richards of Rolling Stones fame, but...
                              Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Working...
                              X