Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dissection in course?

Hey

I would like to know if there is any dissection of humans or animals involved in the course when you take a pharmacy degree. If anyone can help, that would be fantastic.

Re: Dissection in course?

Hi, no pharmacy courses do dissection of humans as it is a degree based on pharmacology, of course some anatomy is necessary but there is no need for dissection. As far as I am aware pharmacy courses dont often do animal dissections either, however you are often required to do experiments on animal tissue.

Comment

We did isolated guinea pig ileum to identify acetyl choline and demonstrate effect of pilocarpin and also enzymes etc in our own blood- using very old hat pins. none of your fancy lancets for us!

Also had to pith frogs and do something to a rat. Prof Darcy once took sample of blood direct from rats ventricle, splashed one of the girls.

Also observed test for pregnancy using black spots on rabbit ovaries.

Had to do tests on our own urine, boiling it down gave the lab a bit of an odour.

Comment

When I was at the ULB (Brussels University), we had to dissect rats and rabbits...
        In our fourth year, in toxicology labs, we would have to analyse samples to find out what they had been "poisoned" with; to make these samples as "realistic" as possible,an undisclosed "poison" would be added to some minced beef, sealed in glass jars,then left on a sunny windowsill, above a radiator, for a couple of weeks,"To mimic real-life decomposition of tissues encountered in forensic examinations"... Sometimes the jars exploded before we were due to start analysing their contents...
        Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Working...
        X