Choices!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choices!!

Up till now, I have received three offers from the following universities and I found it is very difficult to make up my mind. Would anyone can help me by giving some of your valuable comments?

1. Portsmouth: cheap (9050 pounds every years but the best in new universities)

2. Nottingham (12600 pounds every years but the best in UK)

3. Brighton (2000 pounds scholarships every year but not the best)

Every schools has it pros and cons but I really do not know find one...

Re: Choices!!

Feckin' 'ell....is that how much you have to pay these days?!?!?!?

Depends what type of person you are really:
    Everyone I know who went to Brighton absolutely loved it, but they are party hard kind of people.

Portsmouth....ok....

Nottingham....yes, it is the best in the UK.

Essentially...if you want to go into community/hospital pharmacy then your choice of Univsersity isn't going to matter at all (no matter how important it seems at the moment, believe me!). If you want to go into industry/research then Nottingham's the best for reputation. Although, with your own hard work you'd be able to do this from other Unis. All in all, from any Uni - get a 2.1, a couple of summers pharmacy experience and plenty of extra-curricular activity and you'll be fine for employment. Enjoy yourself too.

Comment

Originally posted by MPharm View Post
      Up till now, I have received three offers from the following universities and I found it is very difficult to make up my mind. Would anyone can help me by giving some of your valuable comments?

Have you got these figures correct - they are frightening! Is it really x 6 per year to go to Nottingham then Brighton? No contest to me if you're working in retail - go for the cheapest!
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Actually, I want to be an independent prescriber after studying the MPharm. Would you all please tell me how to do?

Comment

I went to Brighton and really enjoyed it taking up both snooker and golf (which i played quite a lot and reached an 18 handicap!! i could have gone lower!!)
          The tutors were very good with the only problem that i didn't work as hard as i could and came away with only a 2ii degree!!
          I have met pharmacists from Portsmouth and Nottingham and they are all very good in the retail setting but if you want to go into industry then go to Nottingham.
          I had a saturday girl (worked with me before Uni) who was a student there and has just started work at Glaxo in Herts (she beat 54 other applicants!) and also got a first!
          She works in the inhaler formulation departments but also obtained industry summer placements after each of the 2nd and 3rd years.

Comment

I would like to work in hospital upon my graduation, which school should I choose?

One more thing, the tuition fee for Brighton should be 9300 pounds and there is a 2000 pounds scholarship every year!!

Comment

The cost is frightening! How does it compare to other courses?
              Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
              Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
              Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

If you want to go into hospital/be an independent prescriber and need to be financially cautious then go to Brighton. You'll get the job you want. It's 90% work/your own personal nature and 10% university reputation that'll land you your first job.

Only if you want to go into industry, and don't have to worry too much about money then go to Nottingham.

Comment

One more thing I would like to know and that is if I have been an independent prescriber, can I prescribe all the drugs?

Comment

In my day ┬┤THe square' was reckoned as the top. i did both a Ph.C and B.Pharm and found nobody cared what college you went to after your first job.

To a non pharmacist HR person a pharmacist is a pharmacist.

Celebrated 50 years on register last january next year is 50 years of B Pharm.
                    much more fuss over registration than b Phrm.
                    johnep

Comment

Hi,
                      did you go for an interview at Nottingham? I have got an interview very soon. Do you know what they ask? By the way, have you decided which uni you will go?
                      thanks

Comment

does sunderland have much reputation for industry?
                        3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

One more thing I would like to know and that is if I have been an independent prescriber, can I prescribe all the drugs?
                          At present NO

Under CD regs pharmacist independent prescribers cannot prescribe any CDs.

Even restricts prescribing of weaker CDs so no pholcodeine or co-codamol 8/500 even.

Hopefully regs will change later this year.

By time you finish Uni there will probably only be a prescribing course not a choice of Supplementary and Independent. At present those Unis that offer SP have developed a IP conversion course which "tops up" qualification.

AFAIK once accreditation for SP course runs out they will accredit a IP course that will give a joint IP/SP qualification and scrap the SP and IP conversion courses.

Course varies depending on which Uni you study prescribing qualification with - all involve time with a mentor (normally a GP.)
                          Think some impose time limit i.e. you have to be a pharmacist for x no of years (2 or 3 I think) before applying - don't think this is set by DOH and it's just what the Uni's do.
                          Titch

Comment

Working...
                          X