Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I still become a pharmacist in USA after graduating from UEA

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can I still become a pharmacist in USA after graduating from UEA

    After 4 years there could I still get a job in the usa?.

    Please help
    Last edited by Asterix; 24, August 2008, 02:44 PM.
    3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

  • #2
    Re: Can I still become a pharmacist in USA after graduating from UEA

    Visit the forum a the USA site 'studentpharmacist'. There you will get a good idea of what is required.
    johnep

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Can I still become a pharmacist in USA after graduating from UEA

      kk thanks. Quick question., they say 5 years but most pharm offers are 4 years.
      3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Can I still become a pharmacist in USA after graduating from UEA

        Originally posted by giggsy View Post
        kk thanks. Quick question., they say 5 years but most pharm offers are 4 years.
        Yes but you have to add on the pre-reg year. You have to pass assessments, and two exams at the end of that before you are a fully qualified pharmacist.
        Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
        Thank you for contributing to this site.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Can I still become a pharmacist in USA after graduating from UEA

          Your degree lasts four years (hence why they call it a master of Pharmacy Degree) then you do a year of training after that called the pre-registation year. However, if you go to Bradford they split your pre-reg year into two blocks of six months. You will do six months in fourth year, then the second six months in your fifth year... ie- your fourth (and fina) year is also split into two blocks, so you will be at Bradford for five years if you go there.

          Finally, just a little bit of knowledge i picked up from the BPSA conference this year: We had a visit from an american Pharmacy student. And i think she said that British Pharmacists have to do a two year conversion course to be able to practice legally in the US. The exact details of what needs to be done elude me so it may well be worth looking at the link JohnEp posted.

          Regards
          Ryan
          I like beef and i like liver, meow mix meow mix please deliver.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Can I still become a pharmacist in USA after graduating from UEA

            Originally posted by TigerSwift View Post
            Your degree lasts four years (hence why they call it a master of Pharmacy Degree) then you do a year of training after that called the pre-registation year. However, if you go to Bradford they split your pre-reg year into two blocks of six months. You will do six months in fourth year, then the second six months in your fifth year... ie- your fourth (and fina) year is also split into two blocks, so you will be at Bradford for five years if you go there.

            Finally, just a little bit of knowledge i picked up from the BPSA conference this year: We had a visit from an american Pharmacy student. And i think she said that British Pharmacists have to do a two year conversion course to be able to practice legally in the US. The exact details of what needs to be done elude me so it may well be worth looking at the link JohnEp posted.

            Regards
            Ryan
            Check out Jim Plagakis website for the situation in US Community Pharmacy. They report f/t salary offers of USD 200,000 (?) The best option seems to be work out how much you need to earn then work those hours and have a great life outside of pharmacy! Of course healthcare, schooling and such do have a cost.
            47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
            2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
            How times change.

            If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Can I still become a pharmacist in USA after graduating from UEA

              Definately, you still can become a pharmacist in the US, however you will need to the the NAPLEX, which is the board exam and the FPGEE. Good Luck!
              [URL="http://www.GetIntoPharmacySchool.com"]Serious about getting into a US Pharmacy School, get this book![/URL]

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Can I still become a pharmacist in USA after graduating from UEA

                I will add on to what "admin" said. I practice in the U.S. My wife is from Spain so I know the requirements first hand. You first have to apply with the NABP (National Association of the Boards of Pharmacy) to be eligible to take the FPGEE(Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Exam). The NABP makes it difficult. It took my wife 2yrs to get to this point. For the exam, they just tell you to study everything you learned in pharmacy school, no books to go from, good luck. Once you've passed, then you qualify to start your internship hours (1500 in most states), which vary by state according to law. Following this, you sit for the NAPLEX (National exam) and then depending what state you want to practice, you sit for a law exam. Tough course, but worth it when you're done as the job market is plentiful.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Can I still become a pharmacist in USA after graduating from UEA

                  Originally posted by pharout View Post
                  I will add on to what "admin" said. I practice in the U.S. My wife is from Spain so I know the requirements first hand. You first have to apply with the NABP (National Association of the Boards of Pharmacy) to be eligible to take the FPGEE(Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Exam). The NABP makes it difficult. It took my wife 2yrs to get to this point. For the exam, they just tell you to study everything you learned in pharmacy school, no books to go from, good luck. Once you've passed, then you qualify to start your internship hours (1500 in most states), which vary by state according to law. Following this, you sit for the NAPLEX (National exam) and then depending what state you want to practice, you sit for a law exam. Tough course, but worth it when you're done as the job market is plentiful.
                  Unfortunately you then get paid in dollars ;-)

                  Jeff

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Can I still become a pharmacist in USA after graduating from UEA

                    Ah! but what we pay for in pounds is priced in dollars in the US. My nephew is always complaining about the cost of petrol had to pay $3/gallon last month!
                    johnep

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Can I still become a pharmacist in USA after graduating from UEA

                      Originally posted by johnep View Post
                      Ah! but what we pay for in pounds is priced in dollars in the US. My nephew is always complaining about the cost of petrol had to pay $3/gallon last month!
                      johnep
                      And it wasn't even a real gallon - how sad is that.

                      Jeff

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Can I still become a pharmacist in USA after graduating from UEA

                        Originally posted by johnep View Post
                        Ah! but what we pay for in pounds is priced in dollars in the US. My nephew is always complaining about the cost of petrol had to pay $3/gallon last month!
                        johnep
                        Can't work that one out - if oil is priced in dollars and the pound is high (2 for 1) against the dollar surely it must get cheaper.

                        Someone once told me that if the price of oil comes down then we lose out because North Sea oil is worth less, so we have to pay more to keep the price high. If the price goes up we have to pay more because it is paid for in dollars. Either way we pay more. Best way for us to pay less would be to get them re-classified as drugs and in tariff part VIII category M, at the moment at least.
                        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                        How times change.

                        If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Can I still become a pharmacist in USA after graduating from UEA

                          Originally posted by johnep View Post
                          Ah! but what we pay for in pounds is priced in dollars in the US. My nephew is always complaining about the cost of petrol had to pay $3/gallon last month!
                          johnep
                          There are pros and cons too John. We have the NHS - no such thing in the USA. That's great if you get free health insurance from your job, but if you were born with a disability you're out of luck I think.
                          Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                          Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                          Thank you for contributing to this site.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Can I still become a pharmacist in USA after graduating from UEA

                            I wouldn't worry about the dollars. If you live in the U.S., earn dollars, you pay in dollars. Can't think about conversion to pounds as I know it's hard not to. The salary here would be equivalent if not better. The problem here can be the working conditions depending on what sector you go into. Of course the other problem is that we pay about the same taxes but have absolutely nothing to show for it!

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X