Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help?

Hi

I'm new to this forum, and I wanted to ask anyone who can give me some advice. I graduate with a 2.2 In a biological science degree (BSc) and currently waiting to start a MSc in Immunology at King's (07/08). I'm interested in pursuing a career in Pharmacy once I finish my MSc.

Would anyone know which schools would consider me with these qualifications?

Can anyone who has been or is in the same situation as me give me some info about the Pharmacy schools they are in or are applying to?

Thanks

Re: Can anyone help?

Originally posted by King View Post
    Hi

I'm new to this forum, and I wanted to ask anyone who can give me some advice. I graduate with a 2.2 In a biological science degree (BSc) and currently waiting to start a MSc in Immunology at King's (07/08). I'm interested in pursuing a career in Pharmacy once I finish my MSc.

Would anyone know which schools would consider me with these qualifications?

Can anyone who has been or is in the same situation as me give me some info about the Pharmacy schools they are in or are applying to?

Thanks
    Hello and welcome

Are you sure you really want to spend another 5 years (and all the money) studying to become a pharmacist? Whats wrong with the qualifications you have?

Why would you start the MSc and then do pharmacy? If you want to be a pharmacist why not do the pharmacy course and then a post grad qualification in pharmacy?

I'm not trying to spoil your plans, but by the time you are qualified to work as a pharmacist you will have spent years studying. What type of pharmacy work do you want to work in - retail/hospital/industry?

Have you thought this through?
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

If your ambition is to work in community pharmacy I would urge you to reconsider and find work with the qualifications that you have now.
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

This illustrates the problems caused by students doing a subject that appeals to them instead of one with best chance of a job afterwards. hence the popularity of media studies.

In my day it was made very clear that the best escape from working class to middle class was via the professions where entry was by exam rather than who your father knew.

Grammar schools did not offer training for judges, merchant bankers, stock broking etc as these were the preserve of the monied classes-- and still are.
        johnep

Comment

Hello

A fellow student i know already has a degree in Biochemistry and is now studying Pharmacy. Most universities will take you on as a mature student, the best bet would be to contact the university directly... I am not too sure if things like UCAS work for the mature students.

Also, as others have stated, you could use your Immunology masters to get a good job. There might not be much point going to uni for four more years, followed by the pre-reg year, if you can get a job with what you've got.
          I like beef and i like liver, meow mix meow mix please deliver.

Comment

Hi again

I'm sorry that it's been a while since I visited the forum, but have had a lot on my mind. I've been putting alot of thought as to what I want to do for a future career. My main reason for wanting to pursue pharmacy is because I'm not sure that research is what I really want to do for the rest of my life. Working in the health care system as well as using my current interest in the sciences appeals to me more as it provides me with more of a purpose.

I have had a lot of work experience in shadowing doctors, volunteering at my local Hospice and also working as a part-time Phlebotomist during my earlier uni days. Pharmacy is not the only option that I'm looking at, and I'm planning on putting an application for medical school as well. But if that doesn't workout I want a career that will provide me with equal satisfaction.

I have enquired about Pharmacy courses and it seems that the best unis require a high academic calibre. I enquired about courses at London school of Pharmacy, Bath. I've also enquired about the course at Kingston and they said that they would consider me. Bath also said that they would look at my application though not sure that I would be accepted.

Comment

Pharmacy is not the only option that I'm looking at, and I'm planning on putting an application for medical school as well. But if that doesn't workout I want a career that will provide me with equal satisfaction.
              Don't make the mistake of applying for pharmacy if you fail to get into medicine. The two jobs do not provide equal satisfaction.
              Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
              Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
              Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                Don't make the mistake of applying for pharmacy if you fail to get into medicine. The two jobs do not provide equal satisfaction.
                Can only echo admins thoughts.
                If you can't get into med school try dentistry, or do something else. Looking after peoples money is more profitable than looking after their health.
                47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

everyone is complaining about pharmacy please can anyone tell me something else i could do or study cos ill be appling to universities later this year and it seems evryone thinks working as a pharmacists is terrible.i also wanted to got to university of bath...

Comment

Originally posted by aity View Post
                    everyone is complaining about pharmacy please can anyone tell me something else i could do or study cos ill be appling to universities later this year and it seems evryone thinks working as a pharmacists is terrible.i also wanted to got to university of bath...
                    Follow your heart....every profession has its down side.. and to be honest in my opinion community pharmacy is what you make it...I've been a pharmacist since 91...the pays not great but good....

If I had to start all over again...I guess I will still choose pharmacy...or maybe not now that GPs earn tons;but pharmacy will still come a clsoe second!
                    Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

thankyou ill still apply for pharmacy maybe work in the industry....or i might just never work as a pharmacists there are many office positions that just need degree holders......and as an interational student the fees for medicine is too much to pay............

Comment

Originally posted by aity View Post
                        thankyou ill still apply for pharmacy maybe work in the industry....or i might just never work as a pharmacists there are many office positions that just need degree holders......and as an interational student the fees for medicine is too much to pay............
                        ...by office positions , do you mean PCT work ( prescribing advisors,meds info,etc) if so you need to be a pharmacist not a pharmacy graduate...

I suppose pharmacy graduates could get work as super-techs..though.. the pays good
                        Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

when there is a will there is a way.....in the uk every profession in the end never makes you that rich...as far as i leave here and go spread my wings ...ill never be poor....

Comment

Working...
                          X