bradford for pharm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bradford for pharm

whats peoples opinions of the city and uni?
    3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Re: bradford for pharm

Never been to either!

But one thing i can say is that Bradford final year students have a better grasp of the overall issues in pharmacy and clinical knowledge due to the split pre-reg.

Comment

I'm at bradford and I actually enjoy the course ,im on the 5 year programme and personally I think its better coz you dont have to stress to much about looking for the pre reg places yourself.Looking forward to starting my first phase of pre reg next year.I believe I will be more experienced in both sectors of pharmacy ie community and hospital.

But I really dont want to stick around here when I finish university,prefer the midlands.As a student you just learn to mind your own business thats how I avoid getting into trouble.

Comment

As a Brighton boy myself I have to ask how the split pre-reg works with regards to being paid. Do you get the same amount for each 6 months or is it different employers, different amounts. What happens if you don't won't to do 2 different types, could you do all hospital or all community?? I hated my fortnight in community when I did my pre-reg (the pharmacist manager was far far to keen on the money aspects and his share options).

If anybody is interested Brighton is great, good uni, great city what more could you want as a student??? (okay - perhaps that's rhetorical) ;-)

Comment

Rob, I believe that you have different employers during the two pre-reg periods and get paid about £8000 for each of them (atleast that's what they quoted at Bradford university). I imagine you can do both of them in whichever sector you prefer but if someone is planning on doing that, I think they might aswell just do 4 years and then 1 year of pre-reg.

Comment

hi im from bradford uni and on the sandwich course. You do 6mnths in community and the other 6mnths in hospital. Since the introduction for agenda for change you get paid more in hospital now (upto £10,000 in some cases) and in community it varies depending which company you work for, I think boots pays you most i worked for co-op and got paid £7500.

Comment

Originally posted by confused.com View Post
              hi im from bradford uni and on the sandwich course. You do 6mnths in community and the other 6mnths in hospital. Since the introduction for agenda for change you get paid more in hospital now (upto £10,000 in some cases) and in community it varies depending which company you work for, I think boots pays you most i worked for co-op and got paid £7500.
              Hi,
              Some of the students on here might find it useful if you could post something about your pre-reg experiences.
              Would you also like to post your impressions after your first day of work as a qualified pharmacist, then first week, month and 6 months?

It might help others - and that's why we are on the 'Pharmacy Forum'.
              47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
              2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
              How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

No Probs, well where do I start. 1st day I was highly enthusiastic about finally working as a pre-reg, thinking finally I can put some knowledge into use. I had previously worked in a pharmacy prior to this on Saturdays but nothing prepared me for this!! The 1st day was really busy doing I think on average between 500 items, prob was we were short staffed, so most of the day I was just stuck in the dispensary doing labels, but at the time I thought no matter things will improve. But oh no things got worse, the second week both the main pharmacist and the dispensing technician were off on holiday so it was just me and a locum pharmacist, literally the blind leading the blind, we were rushing about like headless chickens, since neither of us knew where most of the things were kept, or who orded what, biggest headache was delivery days. The queues as you can imagine were right outside to the door!! I’ve never had headaches but that week I constantly had one everynight.

Plus point though I suppose is that I quickly learnt where everything was. And I learnt the value of having a good dispensing technician who practically manages the smooth running of the dispensary. After that week, things went back to normal and the rest of my placement was spent like this: Sign off delivery, put the goods on the shelves (used to take at least an hour or so, my pet hate!), do labels, get medicine boxes out, do md boxes, collect repeat scripts, do delivery days preparation, do nursing homes script, count scripts. Highlight of day would be: problem with script, OTC advice from customers, fighting between the otc staff, irate customer, unusual requests or script. My only consolation through out this was that im only here for 6 months but then it dawned on me, ill be stuck with this after I graduate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

My Pre-reg..........

Hi Students

On my first day (and week really) I had never worked in a pharmacy, and kept putting bits of paper in the wrong places. That caused my tutor to shout at me a lot!

On the Thursday it was my tutors day off, and we had this old woman who did locums but used to own her own shop. We got a script in for a pill I had done an essay about, and started asking her questions and trying to get a conversation about how the various pils work etc. She got really nasty, and it dawned on me that she had no idea how they worked. She called me stupid, and said I didn't know anything because I misjudged that a triangle full of tablets would fit into a certain size of bottle! She went mad when I didn't know the forumula for aqueous cream and shouted "you know nothing" to which I replied "I know how the pill works"

I spent the rest of the year doing basically what confused.com writes in the 2nd paragraph. I think my heart sank most when I asked one pharmacist if GP's ever asked his opinion on things, to which he replied "All the time. Dr X asked me only last week if fortisip comes in banana flavour" and that was a serious answer!

I think after a week I had pharmacy sussed out.
                  Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                  Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                  Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Re: My Pre-reg..........

Originally posted by admin View Post
                    Hi Students

On my first day (and week really) I had never worked in a pharmacy, and kept putting bits of paper in the wrong places. That caused my tutor to shout at me a lot!

I think after a week I had pharmacy sussed out.
                    Pre-reg was fine. It was when I was a newly minted pharmacist at B**ts it was like being on permanent 'jankers'. What finished me off there was getting told off for talking to the customers. It greatly motivated me to leave ASAP. As mentioned in other postings - I cannot even step into any B**ts even after 25+ years - I've tried once or twice, even managed 2 minutes once.
                    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Re: My Pre-reg..........

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
                      Pre-reg was fine. It was when I was a newly minted pharmacist at B**ts it was like being on permanent 'jankers'. What finished me off there was getting told off for talking to the customers. It greatly motivated me to leave ASAP. As mentioned in other postings - I cannot even step into any B**ts even after 25+ years - I've tried once or twice, even managed 2 minutes once.
                      I was a store manager for them a few years ago - the paperwork eventually did my head in!

Last edited by admin; 11, March 2007, 12:38 PM.
                      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Hi Students & people,

Hospital Pre-reg.

After a few years of being a Saturday boy in a community pharmacy, when it came to my pre-reg, I decided to join the NHS and do my service in a small District General Hospital. As a general rule, I rotated around the different areas of the department spending my first 3 months or so in the dispensary, working as a technician. The next 3 months, I spent doing aseptics (which I wasn't so keen on). Then, I spent 3 months doing clinical work (ward based pharmacy and medicines information), then exam preparation, passed exam and then they treated me like a proper pharmacist (although I wasn't qualified) - this really helped once I was qualified.
                        Good Points:
                        1. Variation - If I didn't like something, the most amount of time I usually spent doing it was about 2 months. (No stocking the shelves etc...)
                        2. Teaching - I had 12 pharmacist plus numerous very knowledgeable techs all who were very willing to help and advise where they possibly could.
                        3. Time - I was given loads of study time to write up evidence etc... Talking to community pre-regs, they usually have to do most of it in their own time.
                        4. Peer Support - There were other pre-regs/basic grades around, who had or were having the same kind of problems.
                        5. I lived in nursing quarters - I was like being in the middle 'No angles' (channel 4 soap about nurses)!!! Good if you like a laugh and a beer.
                        Bad points:
                        1. Pay - although this has changed with agenda for change.
                        2. The dug tariff.....what is it, why do I need to know about it....why, why ,why???? On a more serious point, I felt that some of the evidence standards were skewed towards community pharmacy (but perhaps some were skewed towards hospital), these were often difficult to achieve in the hospital setting.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rob_ View Post

2. The dug tariff.....what is it, why do I need to know about it....why, why ,why???? On a more serious point, I felt that some of the evidence standards were skewed towards community pharmacy (but perhaps some were skewed towards hospital), these were often difficult to achieve in the hospital setting.
                          Don't mention the drug tariff to me.
                          I hate the damn thing - it rules our lives in community pharmacy, and I spend too much time trying to figure it out.
                          How times change.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
                            Don't mention the drug tariff to me.
                            I hate the damn thing - it rules our lives in community pharmacy, and I spend too much time trying to figure it out.
                            You poor community guys, I haven't met anybody who likes or truly understands the Drug Tariff. You would have thought that they would have tried to have improved it and made it more user friendly by now! Any ideas??

Comment

Originally posted by _Rob_ View Post
                              You poor community guys, I haven't met anybody who likes or truly understands the Drug Tariff. You would have thought that they would have tried to have improved it and made it more user friendly by now! Any ideas??
                              How about limiting NHS prescribable medicines to those in the WHO essential drug list.
                              EMLib WHO Model Formulary
                              or
                              http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2005/a87017_eng.pdf

anything else as private.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X