X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Gorden University?!

I am one of the 07MPharm applicant!
    I just received an offer from Robert Gorden University
    A uni in Abeedeen~i am not sure whether that place is good, eg accommodation and the ppl around? Do any one of you study there? I cant go there because it 's too far away from my school, i am studying in york at the moment!

I apply Aston as well . I lived there for several days before and the accommodation is so bad , especially the internet connection. Also it seems not that secured. I am scared that RGU will be same as Aston.

>"< Also i just received two offers from RGU and Brigton. Everyone says Brighton is nice place ~ ba daway i juz got reject from Cardiff and nottinham asked me to change another subject to study and no reply from Aston~ay~~wat can i do????
    Last edited by Timothea; 7, February 2007, 06:56 PM. Reason: By the way~ thank you very much for answering my questions!

Robert Gordons

Hi

The accommodation up there is really nice, but the course used to have an extra year in Scotland as they do "Highers" there instead of A levels - is it still the same?

Aberdeen is a nice place too, but is very cold! It's also getting on for a 7 hour drive from York, so make sure you don't want to come home for the weekend!
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Train connection is excellent.
      johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
        Train connection is excellent.
        johnep
        It is, but quite expensive, even with a young persons rail card. All I'm saying is being up there means coming home to York at weekends etc is not really possible, from a money or time perspective.
        Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

I am hugely biased towards Aston, having been an undergrad there as well as doing a postgrad course, so ignore what I say but anyway. The towes are character building, but Lakeside is far nicer. From what I hear the towers are going to be demolished soon and new Lakesidey accomodation put in. Campus security is being beefed up due to teething problems with matthew bolton college. Most of the teaching staff there are excellent as well.

One final point: Birmingham is in the middle of the country so you can get where ever you want to, by train, car or plane at reasonable cost.

Comment

I am not UK resident. I dun think i will come back to york very often. I dun mind whether it's cold or not ~hehe~

Also i am quite looking forward to Aberdeen~~
            It 's quite good to do one more year~can see it as pre-pharmacy course, it may help to know about the subject itself~

By the way~do u need to do many coursework when studying Pharmacy?

Comment

Pharmacy one of the most intensive courses there is. if you want an easy time -- do an arts degree or media studies.

johnep

Comment

ah not been on this for a while. Anyway what are your overall opinions on rgus reputation. Also what does everyone think of bradford uni for pharm, the accomodation is shit.
                3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

Originally posted by giggsy View Post
                  Anyway what are your overall opinions on rgus reputation.
                  Community pharmacy is better in Scotland - in part due to one of my pharmacy heros - Clare Mackie - she used to head RGU - but has since moved to Medway.

Also what does everyone think of bradford uni for pharm, the accomodation is shit.
                  It doesn't really matter where you go - they all intend to give you a degree. If you've not lived in a multi-cultural community 5 years spent in one is probably a good thing.
                  A next door neighbour on the game is a "life experience" as is helping out at a doss house.
                  Trapping the house mouse and releasing it on the ladies floor at the halls of residence is just part of being a student.
                  University education should be more than the course you are studying.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Timothea View Post
                    I am not UK resident. I dun think i will come back to york very often. I dun mind whether it's cold or not ~hehe~

Also i am quite looking forward to Aberdeen~~
                    It 's quite good to do one more year~can see it as pre-pharmacy course, it may help to know about the subject itself~

By the way~do u need to do many coursework when studying Pharmacy?
                    Why would you want to waste a year of your life studying for an extra year when you don't need to? The first year doesn't have much pharmacy in it, its basically A level stuff to get everyone up to the same level. Don't take six years to become qualified when you can do it in five - think of the extra cost, loss of income etc

Comment

I remember when nine months plus an apprenticeship was considered sufficient. The C&D exam was replaced by Ph.C which was two years and was one of the exams I took while doing the three year B.Pharm.

Now it is four years and still pre regs flounder when faced with the reality of todays community pharmacy.

In the meantime gvnmt and multiples are pressing for NVQs to be sufficient so they can reduce salaries. Dispensing Drs only have to employ NVQs.
                      johnep

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                        Community pharmacy is better in Scotland - in part due to one of my pharmacy heros - Clare Mackie - she used to head RGU - but has since moved to Medway.

It doesn't really matter where you go - they all intend to give you a degree. If you've not lived in a multi-cultural community 5 years spent in one is probably a good thing.
                        A next door neighbour on the game is a "life experience" as is helping out at a doss house.
                        Trapping the house mouse and releasing it on the ladies floor at the halls of residence is just part of being a student.
                        University education should be more than the course you are studying.

Jeff
                        I have heard many bad things about bradford, the uni is nice but accomodation is tiny man!

Comment

i live in bradford, and its not all that bad as people make out. i mean bradford should be the curry capital of the universe (well, maybe if you left out india/pakistan). and im pretty sure that whatever you can do in another city, you can do it in bradford.

the only real downside to bradford is the shopping, but they are spending about £1/2 billion on the city centre for shopping an it shoud be ready in a few years. thankfully in the meanwhile Leeds is about 9 miles away and manchester isn't too far.

Comment

is that your 1st choiuce then?

Comment

there's a good chance that it will be, but im gona see what other offers i get (if any) before i make my final decision. im just sayin that bradford gets a lot of unfair publicity which makes people, understandably, think bradford's a very bad place etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X