Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-reg experiences

Hi.
    I've chosen to do my pre-reg (2007) in hospital. Just wondering how all other pre-regs are faring in their placement this year.

Do you enjoy it? Are you happy with your choice? What in particular do you like/dislike about it?
    Last edited by hannahd; 13, December 2006, 10:55 AM.

Re: Pre-reg experiences

Its good fun, technical/manual stuff can be tiring and repetitive, but ward pharmacy will allow you to use the skills you have learnt, learn more than you knew and consolidate everything from uni. Prepare to be bombarded with confusing changes/conflicts in guidelines (NICE, local), new evidence papers which may not ring true with what you learnt at university. I keep a log book of what I learn/want to learn and use the Medicines Information dept to find the answers. Make the most of your community placement because you WILL locum at least once if you want that new pair of shoes etc.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Is there anything you dislike about it?

Comment

No, we get rotated around many departments (MI, radiopharm, aseptic, wards, dispense), get to see acute exacerbations of patients conditions (as opposed to uni powerpoint presentations), see what other professionals jobs involve and how they can interact/conflict with ours, make tonnes of friends (for many the social life can take somewhat of a nosedive-not mine) and above all - get paid. Lucky for me my tutor is the dogs proverbials. She works tirelessly to help us, book courses for us, give us exam practice etc. I had met her beforehand and she seemed a safe bet. Whether hospital or community try and get a good tutor, as with all population spreads, there are a proportion of sexist/pretentious/inexperienced/unenthusiastic tutors out there who you could encounter (according to my peers anyway). So find out before you apply, 12 months is a long time in a job you dislike!

Comment

That's good to hear.

So, how's the exam prep going? How many "study days" do you have to attend?
          Last edited by hannahd; 25, March 2007, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X