Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LJMU Interview - any idea on what to expect??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJMU Interview - any idea on what to expect??

John Moores

Hi

I went there but at that time they didn't even interview you. What I can say about the course is that they are crazy about you constantly doing presentations. We seemed to have to do them all the time, in tutorials, for practical results etc. I never understood why really, as I've never done one since being a pharmacist, and like virtually everyone else, I hated doing them.

On the lecturer front there were a few nice ones, but most were pretty snotty. One thing I will never forget is what happened to a friend of mine: -

This guy was not great at exams, and his average was in the 50's for the first two years of the course. At the beginning of the last year, he started hanging round the staff room a lot. He told me he was going to get a 1st class degree and do a PhD.

He got his first, and even before that funding for the PhD, even though his average marks were so low - I've never heard of this before. He needed to get something like over 90 in all his exams to get an average 70 to get that 1st class degree, so I honestly didn't believe he could do it. As I've already said he did do it, but he also told me a couple of the actual questions that were on one of the exams - and yes they were there.

It always made me wonder if fitting in was better then being academic............
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Expect a group interview of up to 8 people- wasn't too keen on that as there's always a smartass who won't let anyone get a word in. I declined the interview there because I realised that it's really not for me and I already have a firm and a backup. I also don't like the idea of doing presentations constantly!

Comment

Originally posted by BeesKnees View Post
        Expect a group interview of up to 8 people- wasn't too keen on that as there's always a smartass who won't let anyone get a word in. I declined the interview there because I realised that it's really not for me and I already have a firm and a backup. I also don't like the idea of doing presentations constantly!
        and what is ur backup exactly
        3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

yeah ive heard that if you really kiss up to the lecturers, you'l have a good chance of getting a good degree.
          but for the interview i've heard thatn some people have started to learn things like which drugs are derived from which plants....i really didnt think that they would go that far in the interview....

by the way LJMU have also got an aptitude test that they've set in addition to the interview. the letter they sent me said that is its not a knowledge based test BUT will be assessing written communication.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaani View Post
            yeah ive heard that if you really kiss up to the lecturers, you'l have a good chance of getting a good degree.
            but for the interview i've heard thatn some people have started to learn things like which drugs are derived from which plants....i really didnt think that they would go that far in the interview....

by the way LJMU have also got an aptitude test that they've set in addition to the interview. the letter they sent me said that is its not a knowledge based test BUT will be assessing written communication.
            hey yeah mines on thursday whens urs

Comment

yeah mines on thurs too!!!!
              maybe il see you there.

ive got a freind of mine who went to uni this year to do medicine but also did some pharmacy interviews as backup, and he said that if he was me he wouldnt really learn all that stuff about plants etc cos thats what your in uni to actually learn... i can see the sense in that but i just dont want to be under-prepared.

have you learnt stuff like that?? by the way what time is your interview??

Comment

... will be assessing written communication.
                So none of this "txt"-spelling, then!!!
                Seriously now, good spelling and grammar could make all the difference, you know!
                Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

txt spk

Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
                  So none of this "txt"-spelling, then!!!
                  Seriously now, good spelling and grammar could make all the difference, you know!
                  Seconded.

Last edited by Pharmanaut; 9, December 2006, 10:49 PM.
                  47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                  2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                  How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

In that case if you happen to meet Adam Mackridge say hello from Jeff
                    - on the other hand maybe it'll be better for you if you don't.

Jeff

Comment

maybe il see you there.

ive got a freind of mine who went to uni this year to do medicine but also did some pharmacy interviews as backup, and he said that if he was me he wouldnt really learn all that stuff about plants etc cos thats what your in uni to actually learn... i can see the sense in that but i just dont want to be under-prepared.

hey its at half 12, if uve got msn pm me

Comment

Plants?

maybe il see you there.

Why learn about plants? I can tell you exactly how many pharmacognosy lectures we did in the whole degree - three!

If I was you I'd learn my reasons for wanting to be a pharmacist, the role of one, the future possibilities for the profession etc I don't think they'll ask you if opium comes from a poppy or anything like that.

I think what they do not want to hear is that you are just there in case you don't make it into medicine, dentistry etc.
                        Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                        Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                          Why learn about plants? I can tell you exactly how many pharmacognosy lectures we did in the whole degree - three!

If I was you I'd learn my reasons for wanting to be a pharmacist, the role of one, the future possibilities for the profession etc I don't think they'll ask you if opium comes from a poppy or anything like that.

I think what they do not want to hear is that you are just there in case you don't make it into medicine, dentistry etc.
                          yeah thats what i thought, so im not really going to learn all that stuff. i just heard that a uni (bradford i think) actually asked a candidate which drugs come from where and also asked a few questions on how those drugs are made.....though to be fair the peson who told me this isnt exactly the brightest candle on the cake.

the interview for LJMU is on thurs and i think ive got my answers ready, i just hope i dont start stuttering or something! lol

Comment

Pharmacognosy

yeah thats what i thought, so im not really going to learn all that stuff. i just heard that a uni (bradford i think) actually asked a candidate which drugs come from where and also asked a few questions on how those drugs are made.....though to be fair the peson who told me this isnt exactly the brightest candle on the cake.

the interview for LJMU is on thurs and i think ive got my answers ready, i just hope i dont start stuttering or something! lol
                            I'm not sure I could have answered any questions on what plants produced what drugs at interview time way back in 1976/77.
                            Say something like "I am very interested in plant and chemical sources of drugs and hope to get the opportunity to study them". Try to stear the interviewer into discussing the future of pharmacy and its role. Because you have read up on things in the PJ (it is available on line FOC) it should be a good interview.
                            47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                            2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                            How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
                              Because you have read up on things in the PJ (it is available on line FOC) it should be a good interview.
                              i've found that the magazine C+D isn't too bad either (my collge library recieves editions of it). which do you think is better to read, the PJ or the C+D (if you read the C+D)??

Comment

Working...
                              X