Favoured Universities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favoured Universities

Do any recent grads, students or newly qualified pharmacists know if it is easier to get pre-reg place if you go to a prestigious uni, or does it just depend on the individual because most of the curriculums are the same.

I am asking because the new pharmacy schools means more competition in a few years time.
    All comments appreciated,
    coconn
    coconn

Hey. I started my Pre-Reg in July this year. I personally think it’s all up to the employer who is offering a Pre-Reg place. Usually if you apply for a place local to where your University is and have already done work experience with them then the chances are a lot higher but the biggest factor is the person applying for the Pre-Reg post. If you are excellent in your interview and show all the skills they are after then you can get the place no matter what University you graduate from. The RPSGB standardises the courses anyway across the UK but I still think there are differences as to what depth does a topic taught at different Universities meaning some universities will be too keen on “Dosage Form and Design” while some will concentrate more on the “Clinical” in the 3rd and the 4th year. Opening new schools of pharmacy will mean a lot more graduates sure but I don’t know how they will tackle the issue of offering everyone a Pre-Reg place but hey just gotta do your best.

Comment

CptJoshi: Where are you doing your pre-reg? Are you enjoying it?

Comment

Hey I am in Merseyside. I doing mine in a Hospital since wanted get some Hospital experience. I love every minute of it.

Comment

I'm glad to hear that! I'm gonna be doing mine in hospital next year.

Pretty nervous since I've no real experience of working in hospital. How are you coping? What do you really enjoy about it?

Just started a new thread on this - please post on there.
          Last edited by hannahd; 13, December 2006, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Every aspect of it is really good. However I do know many Pre-Reg trainees have had some real hard time already! I think it does depend on how your tutor is and the staff of course but touch wood it has been an experience and a half so far. I have read many comments by final year students and 3rd year students that they are not enjoying the course or wont enjoy working as a Pharmacist but I guess we all have different likings in life, don't we? I woudn't go back and change me career if I had was given a choice! How do you feel about being a final year student then? Please tell me you are enjoying your course! LOL

Comment

I LOVE being a final year student: the workload is great (5 exams in January compared to usual 8) and for the first time ever I get a day off uni. so I only go in 4 days a week!

I'm also enjoying what I'm studying - it's so much more relevant to my future role as a pharmacist.

Comment

That's what we like to hear. I think as a job there will be things that you don't like but there are things that you'll really enjoy so just showing some enthusiasm is the way forward. Anyways if you need to know anything more about the hospital pre-reg year or any references or whatever then let us know. All the best

Comment

to all the pre reg people, where exactly have you graduate from?. Im hoping to go to bradford but im worried it wont be good
                  3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

Not graduated yet! I'm a final year student at Manchester.

Comment

wish i had applied to manchester now

Comment

What's so bad about where you've applied (Bradford)? The best uni. for you is the one where you're happy and enjoy yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by hannahd View Post
                          What's so bad about where you've applied (Bradford)? The best uni. for you is the one where you're happy and enjoy yourself.
                          well i dunno about bradford, everyone keeps telling me its a bad city

Comment

Originally posted by giggsy View Post
                            well i dunno about bradford, everyone keeps telling me its a bad city
                            Don't listen to "everyone". At the end of the day it's YOUR choice and YOUR opinion that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by hannahd View Post
                              Don't listen to "everyone". At the end of the day it's YOUR choice and YOUR opinion that matters.
                              well i want to work in the US and i need an accredited degree so bradford shud be ok altho im looking closely at uea

Comment

Working...
                              X