Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is DPharm offered from UBC from Canada equal to PhD in UK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is DPharm offered from UBC from Canada equal to PhD in UK?

As title!~
    Detail is as followed:
    http://www.pharmacy.ubc.ca/pharmdpro...ry.htm#Tuition
    Also, is that different from that of in US and can the graduates refer themselves as Dr???

DSc and PhD

Originally posted by MPharm View Post
    As title!~
    Detail is as followed:
    http://www.pharmacy.ubc.ca/pharmdpro...ry.htm#Tuition
    Also, is that different from that of in US and can the graduates refer themselves as Dr???
    A DSc is usually a taught program.
    PhD is usually through a piece of orginal research.
    In the UK outside of academia pharmacist are discouraged from using the title Doctor.

If you have an MPharm, I suppose us lowly underqualified BPharms should call you "Master"?
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
      A DSc is usually a taught program.
      PhD is usually through a piece of orginal research.
      In the UK outside of academia pharmacist are discouraged from using the title Doctor.

If you have an MPharm, I suppose us lowly underqualified BPharms should call you "Master"?
      Thanks for your reply. However, I think universities in UK would offer similar courses like DPharm, as there are already several institutes running similar courses, namely:
      1. King’s College of London,
      2. Derby
      3. Portsmouth
      What I just want to know is that the UK employers would consider the degrees from Canada as Doctorate one as the remuneration is different from Master and Doctorate holders! Thanks for your reply!

Comment

The UK DPharm degree is a post graduate higher degree, while the US/Canadian DPharm is an undergraduate degree.
        There was an article a while back in the PJ about the introduction of a DPharm in the UK: http://www.pjonline.com/pdf/hp/20040...05_careers.pdf In essence, you go from undergrad, to pre-reg and registration, on to a clinical diploma, maybe with a Msc, and then to a DPharm.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve G View Post
          The UK DPharm degree is a post graduate higher degree, while the US/Canadian DPharm is an undergraduate degree.
          There was an article a while back in the PJ about the introduction of a DPharm in the UK: http://www.pjonline.com/pdf/hp/20040...05_careers.pdf In essence, you go from undergrad, to pre-reg and registration, on to a clinical diploma, maybe with a Msc, and then to a DPharm.
          In Canada, PharmD is a postgraduate degree: 'In contrast to the American professional Pharm. D. program a Canadian Pharm. D. degree is a post-graduate degree. This program has been available from the University of British Columbia since 1991 and the University of Toronto. Montreal's McGill University is planning to offer the program beginning in September 2006.' Extracted from Wikipedia...

Comment

thanks for the correction

Comment

Originally posted by Steve G View Post
              thanks for the correction
              Then, are they 'doctorate' programs?

Comment

Originally posted by MPharm View Post
                What I just want to know is that the UK employers would consider the degrees from Canada as Doctorate one as the remuneration is different from Master and Doctorate holders! Thanks for your reply!
                Most (outside of academia) wouldn't even know what it was. So I don't think there's an answer.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                X