4 offers stuck which to choose from!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 offers stuck which to choose from!

which 2 unis are the best out of them in terms of their repuation for pharmacy. I think bradford is goodb ecause of their 5 yr programme but i keep hearing bad things about the city
    Last edited by Asterix; 24, August 2008, 02:45 PM.
    3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

so far i think brighton is better, its more highly ranked than the rest u put up, i got an offer 4rm them
    [FONT="Impact"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Purple"]Nenah[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by nenah View Post
      so far i think brighton is better, its more highly ranked than the rest u put up, i got an offer 4rm them
      where are brighton ranked?

Comment

brighton is ranked 11th out of about 20 schools of pharmacy( not including the new schools) and out of schools of both pharmacy and pharmacologym, it is 14th out of about 20 ....so thats not too bad!!

Comment

hey do u want to chat on msn about brighton,pharmacy etc

Comment

erm yeh, wuts ure msn??

Comment

Why don't you use the chat room on here!
              Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
              Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
              Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by giggsy View Post
                bradford
                ljmu
                uea
                brighton

which 2 unis are the best out of them in terms of their repuation for pharmacy. I think bradford is goodb ecause of their 5 yr programme but i keep hearing bad things about the city
                Why do you ask - most employers wont give a damn.
                The most likely difference is if a prospective employer studied at the same uni (gives you common ground for interviews). So perhaps a better question might be "Which uni has turned out the most pharmacists?"

Jeff

Comment

Which School

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                  The most likely difference is if a prospective employer studied at the same uni (gives you common ground for interviews). So perhaps a better question might be "Which uni has turned out the most pharmacists?"

Jeff
                  Agreed, the RPSGB approve the course as suitable for registration.
                  Haven't met anyone interviewing me who studied at Bradford though.
                  Not sure what it's like there anymore, in the 1980's it was one of the smaller universities.

If you are looking for tips when at Uni...
                  1. Never get behind with writing up laboratory practicals.
                  2. For pharmacology read up about what you are doing in the practical beforehand. Draw a flow chart of the steps if the process is complicated.

I mention this because one of the best incidents was doing an alkaloid extraction from a plant sample. It was complicated, as it involved washing the solution with various solvents and changin the pH so the base dissolved in ether and the salt in aqueous solution. My lab partner missed a line in the instructions and ended up diluting water with water for the rest of the steps. He never lived that down.

quant suff.
                  47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                  2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                  How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

haha lol, great story . where did you go in terms of uni?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post

Jeff
                      am sure employers would care. they'd probably prefer kings to maybe bradford or nottingham to hertfordshire!! so its not that bad a question. besides lookin through the prospectus, unis alwayz stress how they hav great graduate employment prospects nd how pple like pfizer, boots, lloyds, astra zeneca etc alwayz come directly 2 them to employ students!

Comment

Uni...

Originally posted by giggsy View Post
                        haha lol, great story . where did you go in terms of uni?
                        Went to Bradford 1977 - 1980 (2:2)
                        Pre-reg with Boots.
                        Left Boots to work for independants.
                        1987-1988 - Did Masters in Computer Studies Sheffield City Poly (Now Sheffield Hallam Uni)

Ambition is to do another course that combines IT and Pharmacy, possibly Medical Informatics. Or might do a PhD some day.
                        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
                          Pre-reg with Boots.
                          1987-1988 - Did Masters in Computer Studies Sheffield City Poly (Now Sheffield Hallam Uni)

Ambition is to do another course that combines IT and Pharmacy, possibly Medical Informatics. Or might do a PhD some day.
                          can i ask, i would love to work for astra zenca personally in the future but would you have to do industrial pharmacy for this case?. Also the good thing about bradford compared to anyother uni in the whole country is that they find you work.

Comment

I mention this because one of the best incidents was doing an alkaloid extraction from a plant sample. It was complicated, as it involved washing the solution with various solvents and changin the pH so the base dissolved in ether and the salt in aqueous solution. My lab partner missed a line in the instructions and ended up diluting water with water for the rest of the steps. He never lived that down.
                            Almost beats trying to boil water in a plastic beaker over a bunsen burner.

Jeff

Comment

Pre-reg with Boots.

So you started at Bradford the year I left.
                              You might want to check out the GP-UK mailing list which occasionally delves into Medical Informatics.

Stuff like http://www.doctors.net.uk/DocStore/D...folderid=45044

might give indications as to what's on the horizon

and the occasional post from Ewan Davis is usually worth reading.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X