prednisolone tapering question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prednisolone tapering question

Pretty simple but had a disagreement with someone bout the answer so just double checking to make sure I'm not cracking up.

"40mg od reducing by 5mg every 5days until end" Using 5 mg tabs.

Cheers.

Re: prednisolone tapering question

The dose isn't clear. If it's 40mg OD for 5 days, reducing by 5mg DAILY, every 5 days which I assume it is, then dispense 180 x 5mg tabs, and label accordingly. If you're reducing by only one 5mg tab EVERY 5 DAYS, then you work it out!

The guy's stomach would be in bits by then anyway..has to be a reduction of 5mg daily every 5 days.

Fleeg.
    Last edited by Fleegle; 26, January 2009, 11:38 PM. Reason: speeling
    Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

The consensus is tapering is not necessary for regimen of up to 2 weeks. The risk of axis suppression is overrated for such short length of treatment.

Now if you need to taper down, there isn't any universal protocol.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleegle View Post
        The dose isn't clear. If it's 40mg OD for 5 days, reducing by 5mg DAILY, every 5 days which I assume it is, then dispense 180 x 5mg tabs, and label accordingly. If you're reducing by only one 5mg tab EVERY 5 DAYS, then you work it out!

The guy's stomach would be in bits by then anyway..has to be a reduction of 5mg daily every 5 days.

Fleeg.
        I actually got 181 but thats what I was thinking, think both of the other two were wrong though the prescription was poorly written, bit ambiguous as you rightly point out.

Judging from the prescription it was an ulcerative colitis patient.

Comment

(8x5)+(7x5)+(6x5)+(5x5)+(4x5)+(3x5)+(2x5)+(1x5)=18 0 tablets.

Can't think of an alternative way of looking at it.

Seems like a long winded way of tapering down the dose.

Drs I work with usually prescribe course reducing by 5mg daily i.e. 8 daily for 5 days, then 7,6,5,4,3,2,1,stop.

Comment

superb... was given this same question on my pre-reg interview in the calculation test. luckily i had read this post and worked it out already! thanks

Comment

Originally posted by pharmatron View Post
              (8x5)+(7x5)+(6x5)+(5x5)+(4x5)+(3x5)+(2x5)+(1x5)=18 0 tablets.

Can't think of an alternative way of looking at it.

Seems like a long winded way of tapering down the dose.

Drs I work with usually prescribe course reducing by 5mg daily i.e. 8 daily for 5 days, then 7,6,5,4,3,2,1,stop.
              Agree witcha there..thing is, the geeks who set the questions can be pretty pedantic at the best of times..the original question should have been worded: "40mg od reducing by 5mg DAILY every 5 days until end" Using 5 mg tabs.

The original question could suggest reducing by only one 5mg tablet every 5 days, ie ....8,8,8,8,8....8,8,8,8,7,........etc etc.

Nuts I know, but for a student confronted with such a question under exam conditions, I think the geeks should have made sure the question was completely unambiguous.

(By geeks, I mean academics who buy sports jackets, and take them back the next day because the pockets are sewn up)...Another planet Pharmatron...another planet.
              Last edited by Fleegle; 6, March 2009, 09:11 PM.
              Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Working...
              X