Drug interactions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drug interactions

What is the best book to use for drug interactions in terms of finding out mechanims of action?

Re: Drug interactions

the BNF briefly outlines some interactions but Stockley's is better.
    “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

will this be available in stockleys?
      Last edited by Msocpharm; 29, January 2009, 10:05 PM.

Comment

it should be - if i remember correctly the majority of warfarin interactions are due to displacement from plasma protein however rifampicin is an enzyme inducer so the interaction may well be via that mechanism. IIRC warfarin doses need to be increased when a patient is taking rifampicin. Stockleys will give a small paragraph on the interaction and its nature then it normally cites a few references for it - you could always chase those up too for an ultra-detailed explanation if you've got access to pubmed / athens and all that guff via your uni library
        “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

thanks.
          Last edited by Msocpharm; 29, January 2009, 10:03 PM.

Comment

yeah, start with stockleys and make sure you're sitting next to a pc to search for journal references...

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Stockley’s is definitely the best book, as it describes the ‘management’ as well.

As Sir Dispensalot has said, rifampicin is an enzyme inducer….a really powerful one too, but enzyme induction takes a few weeks to kick in.

You could access ‘medicinescomplete.com’ using ur Athens or just register for a trial.

https://www.medicinescomplete.com/mc...2Fx06-0359.htm

You can access Stockley via this website too….

You can also find information in the SPC, Hansten and Horn (American Drug interactions handbook)...often used in medicines information. Also have a look at the NPSA website for anticoagulant therapy for community pharmacists…

Actions that can make anticoagulant therapy safer

This 'Flockchart- P450' is also very useful for enzyme inducers and inhibitors...

http://medicine.iupui.edu/flockhart/table.htm

Good luck with the presentation
              Last edited by Lazy Nite; 5, January 2009, 10:11 PM.
              Lazy Lady...
              [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

Rifampicin was introduced to us as "Mr Inducer".
                Ketoconazole as "Mr Inhibitor".

By the way, you usually remember the actions and uses of a drug by the chemical/therapeutic family, for example NSAIDs, 5-HT Agonists etc.

Interactions are best remembered by the interaction mechanisms.

The introduction section in Stockleys interactions is a good start.

The following illustration tells you all about drug interactions.

1996-02-17 cartoons - offthemark.com - by Mark Parisi
                47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy Nite View Post
                  Stockley’s is definitely the best book, as it describes the ‘management’ as well.

As Sir Dispensalot has said, rifampicin is an enzyme inducer….a really powerful one too, but enzyme induction takes a few weeks to kick in.

You could access ‘medicinescomplete.com’ using ur Athens or just register for a trial.

https://www.medicinescomplete.com/mc...2Fx06-0359.htm

You can access Stockley via this website too….

You can also find information in the SPC, Hansten and Horn (American Drug interactions handbook)...often used in medicines information. Also have a look at the NPSA website for anticoagulant therapy for community pharmacists…

Actions that can make anticoagulant therapy safer

This 'Flockchart- P450' is also very useful for enzyme inducers and inhibitors...

P450 Table

Good luck with the presentation
                  Not so lazy here, I see
                  ....just my opinion

Comment

Just been browsing stockleys. useful resource.
                    Last edited by Msocpharm; 29, January 2009, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Quickest way is to access them through athens via your uni library, or google them.
                      http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

Comment

high specificity.
                        Last edited by Msocpharm; 29, January 2009, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Stockley is the bible.
                          johnep

Comment

well, get your reference from stockley, then type it into the athens search bar (i think you used to be able to do a whole index search but it might restrict you to selectinga particular journal - which will be cited in the reference)
                            However i last used athens about 8 years ago in the days before google...

Terry Pratchett

Comment

anyone have the actual url to athens where specifically I can search. I am trying and getting no where?

Comment

Working...
                              X