X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvq 3 Module 9 gastro intestinal system

Hi,

Firat time poster.

i was wondering if anyone would be able to give me a helping hand with a question please as I am a little confused.

I have a question which is asking me: Ranitidine interacts with warfarin; describe this type of drug interaction.

so I have looked in the BNF and checked the appendix 1 but can not find a interaction. Am I missing something here? I put it in on the PMR but still no interaction has come up.

Would somebody be able to guide me on the right lines please as I feel I'm missing something.

Warfarin interacts with many meds. You may have a copy of Stockley in the pharmacy. That will give you an answer.
    johnep

Comment

Hi Devine
      martindale states there is one study that shows a reduction in the clearance of warfarin with ranitidine, therefore, increased levels in the blood, so that is a pharmacokinetic interaction
      this is the reference
      Baciewicz AM, Morgan PJ. Ranitidine-warfarin interaction. Ann Intern Med 1990; 112: 76–7. PubMed

Comment

Thank you both for your reply, unfortunately we do not have a stockleys book, i think you are correct with the pharmacokinetics thank you so much for your help.

Comment

I don't have a Stockley's to hand but it isn't showing up on the interaction checker so I imagine the impact isn't clinically significant , which would be unusual for warfarin. Given all the clinically important warfarin interactions it is a strange choice to ask a question about.

Comment

AS I have said several times. the NPA training not really fit for purpose. Buttercups vastly superior.
            johnep

Comment

Thank you again for taking the time to reply, I am going to write that there are no interactions as referenced but if cimetidine was then this would cause a interaction. But in a bit more detail. Unfortunately we don't have a choice of the buttercups or npa. But I do understand what you mean. There seems to be a lot more support with the buttercups.

Comment

Totally agree about Buttercups. I find them very supportive. Pity you didn't have the option to study with them.

Comment

Working...
                X