Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Boots Pre-regs??

Hi,

Anyone here doing Pre-reg at Boots or have an idea of how the programme runs.

I am planning to do pre-reg with them from July.

Shan
    [url]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu2DA4I4TGw[/url]

Re: Any Boots Pre-regs??

Hm yes i'd also like to know of about any experience people have had with boots, as i've heard some bad and good things about them. And if they're better/worse than lloyds/co-op?

Comment

I did 6 months with Boots and I thought the programme was put together very well. They give you a massive folder with 12 section's for each month covering a wide range of topics including clinical topics, minor ailments and pharmacy law. You get another folder with CPD sheets and guidance as to achieving Boot's own competencies. Some people say its extra work but its as simple as just adding the right Boot's competencies to your evidence sheets.

You get to go on 2 study days every month and a lot of emphasis is placed on calculations and you'll do a test every month on one of the study days. Every week you get 4 hours study time which I used to brush up on minor ailments as I did 6 months in hospital before. You'll also team up with other prereg's in your area and the Health Living alliance to undertake a community project which can be about anything.

I worked in a very busy store myself but the advantage is you see a hell of a lot more stuff going on and become equiped to handle any workload. Yes you might feel like a slave lol but thats all part of being a pre-reg. Just embrace it for the time your there and try do everything in antipation like getting the deliveries ready a while before the driver is there or getting owing's done as soon as they arrive etc. Learn from situation's that have arised and proactively deal with them before they happen next time. I did find it a little tough at the begining but it soon becomes second nature. The skills will help you if you go on to manage a pharmacy and you'll be able to delegate certain tasks efficiently once qualified.

In order to get the most out of it you really have to be proactive. The material and support is provided but you must make use of it to get the benefit. Best thing I was told is to have have weekly SMART objectives e.g. "I will counsel 10 patient's on the correct inhaler technique". Also tell your tutor and then whenever they check's a script for one they'll give you a shout and you can discuss what you'll say etc. Then make a list of the type's of inhaler you counselled on and document it with an evidence sheet.

You will have the oppotunity to work at other store's if you like and see how practice varies. My store didn't take part in PGD's or many enhanced services but you'll be able to see all these when you visit other stores.
      Locum Pharmacist

Comment

Boots' training is second to none. On commencement of my training, I was given a training package as outlined by Tesh which we would have to work through at home and during in-store training time (up to 4 hours per week). Once a month all pre-regs in the area would meet to go through exercises related to the directed study modules which usually entailed role plays, clinical discussions, and of course... calculation exams!

The bad side to things is probably the fact that in-store you are used and abused like any other organisations like Lloyds, Co-Op ..etc (i.e. dispense dispense dispense!)

Some people would advise to work in a quiet store as you would generally have more time to learn rather than carry out repetitive tasks but some people would argue having exposure to lots of prescriptions will allow you to appreciate the 'normal doses' from a vast array of drugs as well as having more opportunities to skill up in services. To think of a few: emergency supply, vet prescriptions, supervised administration, local PGD - weight loss, hair retention schemes, and EHC.

Comment

'hair retention schemes'
          please tell us about this scheme
          cheers
          [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
          [/COLOR]

Comment

Hi Raoul, ive seen hair retention scheme whilst working in Boots at the white rose centre, Leeds. Its only available to males since treatment is with finasteride. Patients are required to book an appointment with the accredited Pharmacist (and also a supplementary prescriber) who carries out an initial interview to see if the patient is suitable for treatment. The patient's GP is informed by sending a form (kind of like an MUR form) and once the GP is satisified the pharmacist can prescribe and supply finasteride. Patients are 'booked in' for follow up appointments with the pharmacist to have an MUR/ see how theyre getting on with treatment plan as well to make a further supply of finasteride.
            This service is only available once a week in that store since further pharmacist cover is required... the accredited pharmacist usually has a full day of appointments!

Comment

Cheers Nov, very interesting.
              is the service funded by NHS or patients have to pay for the course of treatment?
              [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
              [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
              X