Ritalin and Mofafinil use in exams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ritalin and Mofafinil use in exams

I read about this online today and was suprised. Whats your opinion?

Brain-Enhancing Drugs: Legalize 'Em, Scientists Say | Wired Science from Wired.com

BBC NEWS | England | Oxfordshire | Exam students 'rely on Ritalin'

BBC NEWS | Magazine | The Ritalin express

Exams students 'fuel up on Ritalin' - Scotsman.com News
    Last edited by JP18; 19, December 2008, 09:22 AM.

Re: Ritalin and Mofafinil use in exams

i read somewhere that there is evidence for the use of Ritalin by elderly to boost their memory state. will try to find the link for that.
    i know a couple of students at uni who use Ritalin, they say it helps them a lot, oh they obtain it from the net.
    i could not find the link, however i will try to, in the meantime ignore my suggestion.
    [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Last edited by Rafael; 18, December 2008, 08:40 PM. Reason: wrong link posted, still could not find the site i am looking for
      [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
      [/COLOR]

Comment

I find it quite worrying that we could be at the top of a slippery slope into a situation where everyone has to take drugs just to be 'competitive' in the workplace

Comment

Always concerned about brain enhancing drugs.
          There's usually some downside that you have to pay-back on with the CNS.
          47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
          2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Yes defiantly, if you're colleagues where greatly out performing you from taking ritalin/modafinil I'm sure you'd be pressured into using such things just to keep up. I can see the stigma behind it, it's drug misuse, which is frowned upon , for good reasons , some people are irresponsible, you wouldn’t trust everyone with a chainsaw lol but it also gives people an unfair advantage in the work place and exams . But really when is life fair

I can see how such it's becoming more accepted , it’s similar to caffeine by being good for capitalism, makes people work longer, harder and even possible better.

If you look at it from a business perspective; imagine you own a business, you have your staff. The staff are a major determining factor in how much profit you're going to make. So your profit is directly related on how well your staff are working. Therefore Profit = Staff performance . So if your staff are regularly taking cognitive enhancers to dramatically improve their performance, you're going to be a laughing ££££ . I would watch out they might start spiking the water machine.

Maybe that's why coffee/caffeine is used so frequently in the work place and prior to that smoking/nicotine. As many jobs are just repetition day in day out, performing the same task over and over again, that's why a stimulant it used, it keeps you awake, keeps you performing. Otherwise you'd start nodding off from the monotony and that wouldn't be good for business

It seems throughout history, even in the world war two they'd give their troops stimulants to perform better, and it did just that. Alexander the great used opium to have a more effective army. The go-pill used by pilots...

I reckon the current pick-me-ups are just not cutting it in today’s society, and that's why they are turning to medication to get the desired affects.

What is the science behind how a CNS like Ritalin allows people to have better concentration?
            What is the pay-back on/with the CNS ?

Comment

Originally posted by JP18 View Post

I read about this online today and was suprised. Whats your opinion?
              It's a competitive advantage - but so is going to a better school, having extra lessons.

Do we have a problem with a student taking ritalin for ADHD, taking antidepressants, wearing glasses?

Jeff

Comment

Jeff, we do not want a new generation relying on Ritalin to pass their exams, then Ritalin becomes part of their daily activity! i.e oh i feel tired at work and can not focus, i will take some Ritalin....etc

Ritalin is a CD POM drug, obtaining it online should be considered a legal offence! a pharmacy student thinking of getting some Ritalin is not a good idea IMHO.... pharmacists have been sacked for helping themselves to some co-codamol tabs, Ritalin is no different.

JP- please get this idea out of your mind! we all survived exams, i am currently studying for exams and i know i will pass and do well! i do not want to get a 1st, i am happy with a 2:1, the same way others are happy with a 2:2.....etc

if you tried Ritalin, and it helped you, then why not help yourself with some crack when you feel low? or some LCD tabs when clubbing! i know crack/LCD are not the same as Ritalin but one thing lead to another........
                Last edited by Rafael; 19, December 2008, 04:32 PM.
                [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul View Post
                  Jeff, we do not want a new generation relying on Ritalin to pass their exams, then Ritalin becomes part of their daily activity! i.e oh i feel tired at work and can not focus, i will take some Ritalin....etc
                  But it's OK to work while tired and unfocussed?

Ritalin is a CD POM drug, obtaining it online should be considered a legal offence! a pharmacy student thinking of getting some Ritalin is not a good idea IMHO.... pharmacists have been sacked for helping themselves to some co-codamol tabs, Ritalin is no different.
                  I'm not suggesting obtaining it illegally

However if we are allowed, encouraged, obliged (delete as appropriate) to use props to make up for our imperfections - why not to improve ourselves?

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                    But it's OK to work while tired and unfocussed?

no it is not, that's why you are not expected to be partying on sunday night when you know you have work on monday morning, and you had the chance to party on friday and saturday night. it is all about organising the time. the other option is to take a day off, taking Ritalin is not the solution for 1- it has not been proven to be clinically effective for non-ADHD people.
                    I'm not suggesting obtaining it illegally

However if we are allowed, encouraged, obliged (delete as appropriate) to use props to make up for our imperfections - why not to improve ourselves?

Jeff
                    for the reasons that 1- Ritalin is only licensed for a certain disorders 2- we do not pay for our medication ( indirectly we do as tax payers), so the NHS will not prescribe it for you unless there is a clinical need for it.
                    [/COLOR]

Comment

jeff check this site
                      Couple to have Britain's first baby genetically modified to be free of breast cancer gene | Mail Online

'Couple to have Britain's first baby genetically modified to be free of breast cancer gene'

This is a good thing to do, however i fear the future regarding genetic modifications and messing with the genetic materials. it is a highly risky area that could provide answers to a lot of inherited diseases where no adequate therapy is currently present to deal with it. but still could end up with a negative effect if a gene is incorporated into the wrong sequence within the DNA.

Currently grem-cell modifications are banned in the UK, so couples wanting a kid with blue eyes and straight hair go to Turkey for genetically manipulate the genes. history has shown that things that were not acceptable at a time are becoming more acceptable at our time, and in the future i see germ-cell operations performed here in England. the same applies for assisted suicide where people travel to Switzerland to end their life ( around 150 cases/years according to an article i read somewhere) so would it be easier if the government allowed it in the uk?

ahhh i am thinking a lot, headache, time to get a nap!
                      [/COLOR]

Comment

if you tried Ritalin, and it helped you, then why not help yourself with some crack when you feel low? or some LCD tabs when clubbing! i know crack/LCD are not the same as Ritalin but one thing lead to another........
                        Your argument Raoul is totally flawed , relating this type of Ritalin use to the recreational drug abuse of crack cocaine and LSD, it’s completely out of context. People take these drugs with the sole intention of getting high, tripping out and escaping reality. Its like stating caffeine is a gateway drug to (intravenous) methamphetamine. It’s a silly comment as it demonises innocent student behaviour by relating it to the seriousness of illegal drug abuse.
                        no it is not, that's why you are not expected to be partying on sunday night when you know you have work on monday morning, and you had the chance to party on friday and saturday night.
                        Again I think you’re confused in the way in which Ritalin is being used here, it’s to improve performance not to treat sleep deprivation.
                        Ritalin is a CD POM drug, obtaining it online should be considered a legal offence
                        I’ve yet to read about any oxford students getting prosecuted for the distribution of Ritalin to his or her peers.

You did raise some relevant points though

Comment

whatever you think JP, i made it clear where i stand regarding the illegal obtain of Ritalin for the purpose to be used for non-ADHD people.... the rest is a up to you
                          [/COLOR]

Comment

the same applies for assisted suicide where people travel to Switzerland to end their life ( around 150 cases/years according to an article i read somewhere) so would it be easier if the government allowed it in the uk?[/FONT][/COLOR]
                            I have no moral problem with assisted suicide - my moral objection is the denial to people of the rights we'd give to a dog.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                              I have no moral problem with assisted suicide - my moral objection is the denial to people of the rights we'd give to a dog.

Jeff
                              animal rights? what rights exactly?.......
                              check this vedio

A Shocking Look Inside Chinese Fur Farms

When undercover investigators made their way onto Chinese fur farms recently, they found that many animals are still alive and struggling desperately when workers flip them onto their backs or hang them up by their legs or tails to skin them. When workers on these farms begin to cut the skin and fur from an animal's leg, the free limbs kick and writhe. Workers stomp on the necks and heads of animals who struggle too hard to allow a clean cut.

When the fur is finally peeled off over the animals' heads, their naked, bloody bodies are thrown onto a pile of those who have gone before them. Some are still alive, breathing in ragged gasps and blinking slowly. Some of the animals' hearts are still beating five to 10 minutes after they are skinned. One investigator recorded a skinned raccoon dog on the heap of carcasses who had enough strength to lift his bloodied head and stare into the camera

Before they are skinned alive, animals are pulled from their cages and thrown to the ground; workers bludgeon them with metal rods or slam them on hard surfaces, causing broken bones and convulsions but not always immediate death. Animals watch helplessly as workers make their way down the row.
                              [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X