Hospital pharmacy all along, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hospital pharmacy all along, but...

Bare with me… my mind is as jumbled up as this post is.

I'm currently a 3rd year pharmacy student here.

I’m in this state of reconsidering the path that I have chosen since who knows when, but am still not walking on that particular path.

It has always been hospital pharmacy that I wanted, always have and always will be. When I say reconsidering the path, I’m not saying I’m changing what I wanted, just having thoughts of entering it in a different way.

I’m willing to devote myself to the hospital sector. That’s one major point there. So what come naturally is me getting a hospital placement in summer and subsequently a hospital pre-reg after, right? But that’s something there. If I were to get myself a hospital placement again this summer, and a hospital pre-reg thereafter, I would never have experience what community is like, wouldn’t I? I have only been in the community for, what, 1 day? And that was last year as arrange by the univ as part of a module. More to come this year, but that’s another story. I have been in hospital for, what, two summers, and a few days as arranged by the univ as part of a module. So, I have hospital experiences although they are of politically different experiences (I'm an international student), but they are of the same ultimate aim-the care of the people. The people-people factor. Just different in policy. Can’t really do anything about policy, can we?

Imagine this. There’s something that you want and you are sure, and you can get into it anytime you want, provided you work for it. Would you get into it the first chance you landed on it, or would you wait? Most people will say “GET IT!!!”, or at least I think most people will. But think, would not be diverse in "real" experiences more appealing? By "real" experience i mean having to bear the whole package of being in the community on the shoulders instead of well, as a student during summer placements. This is what has gotten me thinking. Few years in community, then hospital for lifelong.

Now, I know there's not right and wrong in this, but how sensible it is to think like this? Would it be of any advantage or disadvantage if things were to go this way?

I need to be detangled, so please advice.. shoot me any views you have, but please do it worthwhile.

Re: Hospital pharmacy all along, but...

I'd advise not to go into community for a "few years" mostly due to the pay disparity between hospital and community (you will earn more money in community almost straight away than a lower grade pharmacist gets). Once you're living on the higher wages, it'll take a big effort to switch into hospital; possibly including the backup of your Significant Other (whether you've got one now or not!) who may also have views on income

If you'd like to taste community, there will (always?) be some positions available for Saturday morning locums and/or early/lates in 100 hours.

Or, while you're young and more energy than money, why not book a week's community locum into a 2 week holiday from hospital (a change is as good as a rest ).
    Employed again... paid holidays! Yipee

Comment

thx for the advice, defblade. really appreciate that.

money has never really come into the equation before. maybe probably i should hav put that into consideration. but if the passion really lies in the hospital, there's really nothing to stop that, would there be?

there's really a lot of options out there... but not all might work for me. it's just something i have to try and see for myself, isn't it. talking about risk management

Comment

jean I would advice you to get some w/e at a community pharmacy too. Which uni are you at, it seems pointless sending you for 1 day.
        3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

Don't forget if you do a hospital pre-reg you'll be able to spend several weeks in community. If you enjoy your time there, there should be no reason why you can't work in the retail sector after you qualify.
          But I would also recommend work experience at a community pharmacy, 1 day is not enough
          http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

Comment

The 1 day placement is part of a module. We go to the community for one day, do some observing, go home, write a report and submit as part of the coursework. It's one of those few univ up north..

so it wouldn't be wise to put on hold the hospital job for two years before full commitment after?

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post

so it wouldn't be wise to put on hold the hospital job for two years before full commitment after?
              If that's what you want to do, and your eyes are open in advance to the cash flow situation, you go for it! Sounds like (at the moment at least) you'll have no trouble getting an entry-grade hospital job no matter your background.

Only other thing to mention is you may find your clinical gets a bit rusty in community.... the use it's put to is distilling it into a form the patient understands rather than talking high-level-top-detail with other members of the team.
              Employed again... paid holidays! Yipee

Comment

Thx again. I think i'll go for community first, then hospital. I'm the sort who am highly optimistic on my learning abilities and adaptability, and flexibility, and believe i can make the best out of everything. wonder if these "jolly good qualities" of mine would be the factors that pull me down one day, we'll see. but i believe they are the ones that can let me make it

and i love being diversify

Thank you. Thank YOU!!

Comment

Working...
                X