Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should i do?

Hi. everyone:

I am a pharmacy student. Other students in the course is horrible. They talk even louder than the lecturer. I can not focus and listen to him/her even if I am siting on the first row. Other than that, the lecturers in here are not too good too. Their presentations are not organized at all. Minority of them are actually teaching well enough, but the others are just crap, they say they will put the power point on the school intranet, which turns out to be a reason for them to rush through the presentation. The lectures are much shorter than what suppose to be. I really doubt if I can pass my pre-reg exam if i am going this way.Do there problem exist in other schools?

I don't know if i should switch schools or not, if i want to switch school what should i do and is it possible?Thanks
    Last edited by ethanol16; 3, November 2008, 08:31 AM.

Re: What should i do?

Hey Ethanol16……….great name.

Have you just started in this school? Please don’t be disheartened.

Give it some time, and you will start liking the lecturers and students. Most lecturers I think of, were those who I really hated because either they were too arrogant or disorganised etc However, they later turned out to be gems…..and I still keep in touch with them.

As for the loud mouth girls….do you mean they ask a lot of questions or just chat?
    If they are just chatting constantly, then move somewhere else or tell the lecturer.

University is not like school or college……they will not spoon feed you. I agree, they shouldn’t rush, but you really need to make more effort to read up on the subject on your own. I’ve experienced this too…..

All the best

Lazy Lady...
    [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

Changing schools seems a bit of an extreme option. You'll always get people who talk during lectures or disrupt it in some other way. Have you spoken to the head of year at your uni or student reps ?
      http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy Nite View Post
        Hey Ethanol16……….great name.

Have you just started in this school? Please don’t be disheartened.

Give it some time, and you will start liking the lecturers and students. Most lecturers I think of, were those who I really hated because either they were too arrogant or disorganised etc However, they later turned out to be gems…..and I still keep in touch with them.

As for the loud mouth girls….do you mean they ask a lot of questions or just chat?
        If they are just chatting constantly, then move somewhere else or tell the lecturer.

University is not like school or college……they will not spoon feed you. I agree, they shouldn’t rush, but you really need to make more effort to read up on the subject on your own. I’ve experienced this too…..

All the best

Thank you very much for your advise , i tried to be positive about it , it don't seem to work. It is not just the girls, the boys talk loud as well too. They just can't stop chat very loud and they ask question that is not related to the presentation as well. I have moved to the front roll already, but i still can't hear the lecturer talking.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
          Changing schools seems a bit of an extreme option. You'll always get people who talk during lectures or disrupt it in some other way. Have you spoken to the head of year at your uni or student reps ?
          Thank you very much for your comment. This issue have been addressed in the student-staff conference already but the lecturer says this a student's responsibility to tell them to quiet down, it is not the lecturer's role.

Comment

Maybe you should have some words with the people you identified as disrupting lectures ? Telling them to shut up during a lecture usually embarasses them enough to keep quiet, and if enough people do it they might get the message and not disrupt lectures in future.
            Lazy Nite made a good point - at uni the onus is on you to keep up with the work and do background reading to topics whenever possible.
            http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

Comment

Originally posted by ethanol16 View Post
              Thank you very much for your comment. This issue have been addressed in the student-staff conference already but the lecturer says this a student's responsibility to tell them to quiet down, it is not the lecturer's role.
              How I'll mannered can these people get?
              Used to be that you parted company with these kind of people when you moved into the 6th Form.

Feed your thoughts on this back through your personal tutor.

Just wait until there's a mid-sessional exam an watch the buggers panic.
              47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
              2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
              How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by ethanol16 View Post
                When I was lecturing I would tell someone who was talking about irrelevant matters to stop. Or just stop talking myself! And stare at them! Usually worked. I'm sure it is the lecturers responsibility to do something about it!

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
                  How I'll mannered can these people get?
                  Used to be that you parted company with these kind of people when you moved into the 6th Form.

Feed your thoughts on this back through your personal tutor.

Just wait until there's a mid-sessional exam an watch the buggers panic.
                  I would like to see that happened.. thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by the old merlin View Post
                    When I was lecturing I would tell someone who was talking about irrelevant matters to stop. Or just stop talking myself! And stare at them! Usually worked. I'm sure it is the lecturers responsibility to do something about it!
                    Hi, thanks a lot for your advise, some lecturers are starting to do that currently, but the excited crowd takes like almost 3-4 min to quiet down every time... which is a waste of time... and he rush through those things again... but look on the bright side, he is managing, it does work, just waiting for those people to improved.

Comment

We have noisy people too. You get used to who not to sit near. I have turned round a few times and just told people to shut up myself. They usually do - even though they probably won't like you later on... but these people arn't likely to keep going to lectures for much longer. If you're a first year you'll see the class size start to wane after the first few weeks back after christmas.
                      I like beef and i like liver, meow mix meow mix please deliver.

Comment

Working...
                      X