What A-levels did you get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What A-levels did you get?

First off hi everyone. I've been nosing round this forum for a while now and it seems to be a nice and friendly community So I have decided to join.

I would really appreciate if a couple of people would answer this question.

What A-levels did you get that allowed you to studying pharmacy at uni? Specifically the subjects and grades and which uni?

Thanks a lot and I hope you all have a good day, or night for those who have been slaving away at work all day

Re: What A-levels did you get?

I did

Chemistry
    Biology
    Maths
    General Studies

I got A grades in all and got in to Nottingham University. I think I needed 3 A's to get in, although this was in 1990, so entry requirements may have changed now!!

I feel old now!!

Comment

Are you still glad you chose pharmacy Jon?

Comment

If I am honest, some days yes, some days no. Try and get some work experience before you make a decision and find out as much as you can about the different areas in which a pharmacist can work.

There's a lot of info on these forums about the good and the bad things in pharmacy.

Comment

Yes I completely agree, I have been trying to do some shadowing , but unfortunately the pharmacies around here say they are too busy to take me on.

Running my own pharmacy in a quiet town somewhere would be quite nice. What, in your opinion is similar to but better than practising pharmacy?

Comment

Chem: A
            Bio:A
            Maths: A
            General Studies: B

Aston Uni
            Grades required are usually ABB-BBB but may go up ( i think manchester uni have AAB-ABB ?) because of increasing competition
            http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

Comment

Im predicted ABB should i be worried? i droppd maths because it was soooooooo boring

Comment

Originally posted by JonF View Post
                I did

Chemistry
                Biology
                Maths
                General Studies

I got A grades in all and got in to Nottingham University. I think I needed 3 A's to get in, although this was in 1990, so entry requirements may have changed now!!

I feel old now!!
                3A's to get in in 1990? I got into Manc with an offer of BBC in 1991. No way! I got AAB though
                MUR

Major Underestimation of Resources

Comment

Chemistry B
                  Physics B
                  Biology C

and got into De Montfort with that in 1998...

Still I believe that GCSE grades are actually a better predictor of degree success (8A, 1B), and I did indeed come out with a 1st , plus a few prizes for highest attainment in several modules.
                  No point getting 3 or 4 As but having no common sense or people skills -both v important in Pharmacy.

I expect competition is hotter these days mind, which tend to be what entry requirements are about in the main for the popular courses.
                  The funkee pharmacist!

Comment

Oh forgot to say JP18, I dropped Maths too, and to be honest there were times at uni where I struggled -so make sure you're mates with some maths bods who can teach you to differentiate cos you might need that now and again. Mind you those who had Maths but not Biology struggled in other basic science modules in first year. And those without physics found pharmaceutics quite tricky.

So overall everyone is probably in the same boat.

Having said that, with regard to the calculations you need as a pre-reg for the exam, and more importantly in day to day life as a pharmacist, they're not that complex so as long as you practice hard at uni and during pre-reg then not having Maths A level is not a disadvantage in the long run.
                    The funkee pharmacist!

Comment

Originally posted by Jen the 3rd View Post
                      3A's to get in in 1990? I got into Manc with an offer of BBC in 1991. No way! I got AAB though
                      To be honest it was that long ago i can't quite remember. It was higher than everywhere else i applied to, could have been AAB?!

Comment

Originally posted by JP18 View Post
                        Im predicted ABB should i be worried? i droppd maths because it was soooooooo boring
                        Don't be worried about that - if you work hard in your a-levels you'll easily get the required grades. Looking back A-levels were kind of easy actually...
                        I didn't do physics + I still struggle with some of the equations... you can't be perfect at everything.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

Comment

I got A B C in Maths, Chemistry and Physics.

The offer was for ABB for Nottingham, they still let me in even though I didn't get the grades, lucky
                          [URL="http://www.pharmacyknowledge.co.uk"]www.pharmacyknowledge.co.uk[/URL] A guide for preregistration students [URL="http://www.pharmacyknowledge.co.uk"]Pharmacy Exam[/URL]

Comment

In the old days, grades were pass, credit and distinction.
                            I got a distinction in chemistry and credits for physics and biology. Only applied to one Uni, SOP London and was accepted. Did get awarded a County Major Scholarship on the results. (worth £90/year).
                            johnep

Comment

I got

Chem: B
                              Bio: B
                              Physics: C
                              Computing: B
                              Textiles: A
                              Gen Stud: B

Yay for LJMU!
                              I like beef and i like liver, meow mix meow mix please deliver.

Comment

Working...
                              X