Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• student problems

Hi

Iv completed the first two years of the degree course so far but i seem to stuggle a bit at work (part time in a community pharmacy) especially when it comes to remembering some concepts from the modules i did at uni. its as though i forget everything after sitting the exam and when asked i go blank or im not 100% sure! What do i do?

I know that my role will eventually require me to know almost everything about medicines and constanly be up to date with health issues but where and how do i start? I really need some professional advice!

What sources do i refer to? what attitude should i adopt? should i constanly read over my notes and books to enhance my theoretical knowledge and commit things to memory? How do qualified pharmacists do it? I feel really worried because iv got more and more stuff to learn on the course every week and i feel as though im forgetting some of the concepts from yr1 and yr2. How do i become a good pharmacist who doesn't forget?
    How did you do it? (if you consider yourself a good pharmacist)

any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

+ whens a good time to start preparing for the pre-reg exam?

Re: student problems

Originally posted by shezzy View Post
    What sources do i refer to?
    BNF and PPA (faster than trying to find it in the Drug Tarif)

should i constanly read over my notes and books to enhance my theoretical knowledge and commit things to memory?
    No - the things that come up regularly you'll learn anyway - the unusual just learn to look up.

How did you do it?
    Admit to not knowing, say that you'll find out and do so.
    (if you consider yourself a good pharmacist)
    I don't - but we can't all be good - most have to be average - and some have to be worse than average.

Jeff

Comment

thanks a lot for the reply Jeff! I feel a little better now.

So how long have you been practising for? Are you a community or hospital pharmacist?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
        BNF and PPA (faster than trying to find it in the Drug Tarif)

No - the things that come up regularly you'll learn anyway - the unusual just learn to look up.

Admit to not knowing, say that you'll find out and do so.

I don't - but we can't all be good - most have to be average - and some have to be worse than average.

Jeff
        There are some good pharmacology/Pharmacokinetic and metabolic bits in Section 5 of SPCs. This is where all the background knowledge comes in. Have look at a common drug it will help you tie things together. The more recent the SPC the more comprehensive the info as they standard they need to be written to has changed. Don't start with protease inhibitors though.
        http://emc.medicines.org.uk/
        Last edited by Pharmanaut; 29, October 2008, 09:40 PM. Reason: added internet link
        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

hey

could any one please tell me if they ve done an interpertation exercise for pharmaceutical microbiology in 2nd year because im reaaaally worring ive got it on monday ,,wat is it like ?

Comment

Working...
          X