Lloyds summer placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lloyds summer placement

Im a 3rd year student about to apply for some summer placements, firstly i was wondering do you have to have an interview for 3rd year placements?

Also, i've done summer placements the past 2 years with lloyds, i applied in my first year and worked there that summer, but then the 2nd year they just sent me an offer without my applying and i worked there again.

I was wondering if they will do the same this year (just send me an offer as i worked there the last 2 summers) or will i have to apply again? And do they interview?

Thank you

Re: Lloyds summer placement

Hi BellaNotte

First thing I wanted to ask is why do you want to do another summer placement with Lloyds in your third year when you have done two already ?

You seem like part of the Lloyds family now after doing 2 summer placements with them Presumably you had an interview for your first placement, so it's very likely you will have an interview again if your're successful in getting a placement this year. In fact I know someone who definately had an interview for his summer placement in the summer just gone.
    http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
      Hi BellaNotte

First thing I wanted to ask is why do you want to do another summer placement with Lloyds in your third year when you have done two already ?

You seem like part of the Lloyds family now after doing 2 summer placements with them Presumably you had an interview for your first placement, so it's very likely you will have an interview again if your're successful in getting a placement this year. In fact I know someone who definately had an interview for his summer placement in the summer just gone.
      Thanks for the reply, and i was tempted because i liked the structure of the placement and i've gotten to know the people there (and i also thought it would be easier to get a 3rd year placement as i've been there 2 years..)

I didnt have an interview no, which is why im wondering if i will now. Did you do any placements? Im quite confused as to who to apply to because if i get a placement then its likely i'll do a pre-reg there possibly, but i've no experience of others apart from lloyds.

Comment

Originally posted by BellaNotte View Post
        Thanks for the reply, and i was tempted because i liked the structure of the placement and i've gotten to know the people there (and i also thought it would be easier to get a 3rd year placement as i've been there 2 years..)

I didnt have an interview no, which is why im wondering if i will now. Did you do any placements? Im quite confused as to who to apply to because if i get a placement then its likely i'll do a pre-reg there possibly, but i've no experience of others apart from lloyds.

ring the pharmacy, talk to the pharmacist ( which i assume you know) and discuss your concerns. ask him to discuss it with the area manager to secure your place, or just get his mobile number and ring him.

it will save you time as you no longer need to apply for summer placement :P

Best of Luck bella
        Last edited by Rafael; 19, October 2008, 12:26 PM.
        [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
        [/COLOR]

Comment

No I haven't done a placement with Lloyds although I've worked for them for a long time. To be honest I'm not planning a community career after I do my pre-reg. Working for Lloyds though does give you a bit of an insight into how the system works. It's not guaranteed that you'll get a pre-reg with Lloyds even after placements/part-time work - I know first hand of many people who have not been guaranteed a pre-reg for a company they worked 4 yrs part time for or did placements with.

If I were in your position I would consider applying to other companies for summer placements like Boots or Co-op

Comment

Ahh see i'd feel really cheeky phoning up to basically ask if i can have a place without applying again, think i'm just going to have to apply to them and a few others.

And yeah i think i'll be applying to boots and co-op too, thanks for the help.

I've still no idea if i want to do a hospital or community pre-reg and i've never had experience in a hospital which is why im confused about who to apply to and if i get an offer, where to go.. eeek hospital or community :S

Comment

It's not absolutely necessary for you to get a hospital placement in order to do a pre-reg, although seeing as how you are in your third year now it could be worth doing one.

At least you can then say you have experience in both the community and hospital sectors of pharmacy.

Comment

I know i've left hospital experience a bit late, never really thought i'd work there as a job but of course its useful to get experience.

Also i was under the impression that whatever 3rd year placement you do greatly impacts your pre-reg, for example the Boots website says that in order to get an interview for pre-reg you have to do a 3rd year placement with them. But i've heard not so great things about boots therefore was a little unsure whether or not to apply.

And thats why i thought if i did a hospital pre-reg (if i was lucky enough to get a place that is) i would then lose my chance of a community pre-reg. But then without hospital experience i dont even know which one i'd want to do.. oh dear im stressing myself out.

Nikolai when have you worked for lloyds? is this part time or pre-reg or are you actually working there as a pharmacist? sorry for so many questions! Also do you know how you can apply for a split pre-reg, i.e half hospital and half community?

Comment

1) I think that Boots will be changing their policy of giving pre-regs to people who have done summer placements with them only as a friend of mine was offered a pre-reg in two different places even though he didn't do a placement in his third yr. However, it's best to check this out with Boots or get in touch with pharmacy practice lecturers at your uni who may be better able to give you advice.

2) If you do end up doing a hospital pre-reg it doesn't mean you can't work as a communtiy pharmacist later in life, or even do part time locumming.

3) I've been working part-time for Lloyds for about 18 months (3rd yr student) and about split pre-regs, you will need to get in touch with both hosp and community to see if they will both be happy to take you on.

Comment

Again thanks for your reply and your help, Boots came to our uni to tell us about their placement programmes and basically said if we want a pre-reg place at Boots, we have to do a 3rd year placement with them. And so, i am applying! Also probably to co-op too.

Think im gonna leave the whole hospital side of things now, im just not that clinically minded anyway and it seems easier to just go for community.. yeah i know im being lazy, but thanks for all the help

Comment

I heard boots were poor for pre reg. I don't know if there's much element of truth in that.
                      3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

Don't rule out hospital entirely! I did -until the summer of my 3rd year when I suddenly realised my applications for pre-reg places -in whatever sector- would lok better if I had a little experience from the opposite sector (so I could say, well I looked into X but preferred Y because...).

So v late on (June of 3rd year) I contacted local hosps -just to stop myuni tutor nagging really. Got offered a couple of bits of work exp, and was not hopeful (scared of pharmacokinetics mainly which I had been told you need to be good at in hosp), and convinced that community was for me...

Needless to say I loved my time in hosp, it was so varied and interesting, and had to desperately scramble together an application.

Not trying to patronise, just to say keep an open mind. Have spent many happy years in hospital and from an intellectual/challenging point of view hasn't disappointed. You won't be bored put it that way..And the money picks up after 3 yrs or so!
                        And my pharmacokinetics is still a bit ropey but had enough training/experience to pass that section of my clinical diploma!!

Good luck whatever you decide
                        The funkee pharmacist!

Comment

Originally posted by Asterix View Post
                          I heard boots were poor for pre reg. I don't know if there's much element of truth in that.
                          I've heard similar things - lot of people saying Lloyds are good for pre-reg

Comment

Funkeeduck makes some good points Bella, don't ignore it totally. A little bit of varied experience looks good on a cv, even if it's just voluntary work. Still, it's your choice at the end of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
                              Funkeeduck makes some good points Bella, don't ignore it totally. A little bit of varied experience looks good on a cv, even if it's just voluntary work. Still, it's your choice at the end of the day.

Yeah hospital is meant to be varied. However, some people refer to the fact pay is poor and to me that's a bad way to judge it.
                              3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

Working...
                              X